Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dash Cams

Does anyone have any advice on which dashboard camera to get? There's loads of them and I've not got a clue which one is suitable. Any advice or experiences of the things would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    just out of curiosity, it it for a work vehicle or personal?
  • Options

Personal. Buying a new car. Usually I drive second (or fifth) hand rust buckets but now we're getting a lease deal, I want to try and take care of it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Personal. Buying a new car. Usually I drive second (or fifth) hand rust buckets but now we're getting a lease deal, I want to try and take care of it.
    how will a dash cam help you take care of the car?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Really? Well... If someone hits my new car/ causes an accident etc. I'd like to prove if it wasn't my fault... My current car has been hit three times over the years but I didn't bother chasing up the insurance cos deep down I knew it wasn't worth it.
  • Options
    These days you gotta watch out for those buggers that reverse into you or stop so you go into them so they can make a claim. Had that to me recently though he was just a shit driver and no details needed to be exchanged.
  • Options
    I researched them and wanted one that didn't automatically record my speed (no GPS) and had a rear window camera (not a taxi rear facing camera). Went for one online from Accident Cameras AC-700E Dual HD Dash Camera. Works fine. Downloads in a series of short movie clips covering several hours. Other types have a continuous single video file which is supposed to be better but couldn't find one that matched my other specs.

Got a nice shot of a Sparrow Hawk diving across my bonnet. Turned off the mic after hearing the language recorded in a normal day's driving advising other motorists of improvements they might want to consider to improve their driving ability.

Only problem is I got Halfords to wire it into the fuse box and i don't think they picked the right one, it turns on and off when I open the door instead of turning on ignition.
  • Options
    Neighbours battery went flat after he installed a dash cam. I guess how it is wired matters in that respect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks @Dippenhall, that's very helpful. I've seen a few that require wiring in, I think I'd prefer that over the plug in ones as I'm bound to forget to plug it in on the day I have an accident.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

JiMMy 85 said:

Really? Well... If someone hits my new car/ causes an accident etc. I'd like to prove if it wasn't my fault... My current car has been hit three times over the years but I didn't bother chasing up the insurance cos deep down I knew it wasn't worth it.

"Really" What?

That doesn't help take care of it that just ensures that you can prove anything that wasn't your fault.

It's not going to stop anyone else crashing into you and if you need that as a reminder to drive safely you shouldn't be on the road.

Fucking "really?"
    i'm not angry Jimmy, just find it amusing that you can start your response being so condescending before going on to list absolutely nothing that would help a dash cam take care of a car, which was my question.
  • Options
    Ive got one, I had a head on last year, the bloke was on the wrong side of the road, luckily he admitted liability so didn't effect my NCB. Anyway I bought one, theres loads out there, they all do a job, it really depends on the amount of dough you wanna spend. The one I've got records over and over the SD in 15 minute sections up to about 2 hours then just keeps re-recording, if any thing happens you just download the vid to your 'puter. It cost me about £30.
    A bye product is no road rage from meatheads. Now I'm old school and dont mind stepping out the vehicle if its warranted, trouble is these days, is that if you kick the crap out of some arsehole who wants to start a row, they run off to the OB. I had a fella who cut me up (on the M20 at silly speeds) I flashed my lights, he was really dicking about, we both stopped at next exit lights, he fancied a row, got out his Warrior wagon motor, I pointed to the camera and said I've just filmed you brake testing me at 80mph, its up to you. He replied 'fucking cameras' and pissed off. So they help there.
    Personally I think they will become so common that insurance companies will give you a discount if you have one fitted.
    Get one.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Ive got one, I had a head on last year, the bloke was on the wrong side of the road, luckily he admitted liability so didn't effect my NCB. Anyway I bought one, theres loads out there, they all do a job, it really depends on the amount of dough you wanna spend. The one I've got records over and over the SD in 15 minute sections up to about 2 hours then just keeps re-recording, if any thing happens you just download the vid to your 'puter. It cost me about £30.
    A bye product is no road rage from meatheads. Now I'm old school and dont mind stepping out the vehicle if its warranted, trouble is these days, is that if you kick the crap out of some arsehole who wants to start a row, they run off to the OB. I had a fella who cut me up (on the M20 at silly speeds) I flashed my lights, he was really dicking about, we both stopped at next exit lights, he fancied a row, got out his Warrior wagon motor, I pointed to the camera and said I've just filmed you brake testing me at 80mph, its up to you. He replied 'fucking cameras' and pissed off. So they help there.
    Personally I think they will become so common that insurance companies will give you a discount if you have one fitted.
    Get one.

They'll start to be built in soon. Eventually it'll be more common to have on than not. To be honest if it makes people drive better/think a little more sensibly than then it can only make the world a better place.
  • Options
    My youngest recently acquired his first car. Within hours he had got himself a dash cam and a holder for his phone so that he can use it as a GPS. Next on his list is a first aid kit. That's modern driving for you.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

"Really" What?

That doesn't help take care of it that just ensures that you can prove anything that wasn't your fault.

It's not going to stop anyone else crashing into you and if you need that as a reminder to drive safely you shouldn't be on the road.

Fucking "really?"
    i'm not angry Jimmy, just find it amusing that you can start your response being so condescending before going on to list absolutely nothing that would help a dash can take care of a car, which was my question.
    You don't come across as amused Dave. You come across as very angry.

I came here to find out a bit about dash cams from helpful Lifers. So far you haven't offered anything other than questions about my motivations, and ignored my explanation. I think that's really quite odd! Feel free to leave us to discuss dash cams if you like.
  • Options

I researched them and wanted one that didn't automatically record my speed (no GPS) and had a rear window camera (not a taxi rear facing camera). Went for one online from Accident Cameras AC-700E Dual HD Dash Camera. Works fine. Downloads in a series of short movie clips covering several hours. Other types have a continuous single video file which is supposed to be better but couldn't find one that matched my other specs.

Got a nice shot of a Sparrow Hawk diving across my bonnet. Turned off the mic after hearing the language recorded in a normal day's driving advising other motorists of improvements they might want to consider to improve their driving ability.

Only problem is I got Halfords to wire it into the fuse box and i don't think they picked the right one, it turns on and off when I open the door instead of turning on ignition.

Sounds like they picked the supply feeding your courtesy lights. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

"Really" What?

Fucking "really?"
    i'm not angry Jimmy, just find it amusing that you can start your response being so condescending before going on to list absolutely nothing that would help a dash can take care of a car, which was my question.

I came here to find out a bit about dash cams from helpful Lifers. So far you haven't offered anything other than questions about my motivations, and ignored my explanation. I think that's really quite odd! Feel free to leave us to discuss dash cams if you like.
    you come across as a condescending, self important prick but thats not going to make me angry Jimmy.

i didn't ignore your explanation, i pointed out that it didn't answer my question.
    Do you amuse yourself by getting angry? If so, this thread makes a bit more sense!
  • Options
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019Y2156C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I use. Simple to use and decent enough quality images for the price. I don't have it recording continuously though, just switch it on when I'm driving.
    The thing with dash cams I found when researching is that the very high priced ones tend to record better quality in low light at night. Some of the cheap ones were of no use at all when it got darker. If you're going to have it running 24/7 this might be the one of the main concerns for you.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

"Really" What?

Fucking "really?"

you come across as a condescending, self important prick but thats not going to make me angry Jimmy.

i didn't ignore your explanation, i pointed out that it didn't answer my question.
    Do you amuse yourself by getting angry? If so, this thread makes a bit more sense!
    were/are you bullied at school Jimmy? if so, your bellendedness makes a bit more sense
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

"Really" What?

Fucking "really?"

were/are you bullied at school Jimmy? if so, your bellendedness makes a bit more sense
    Yes - he was a Palace fan and he bullied a lot of kids. But I psychologically fucked him by turning the entire class against him, and his last two years at school were a misery that I gather still affect him now. You're name isn't really Matt, is it?
  • Options
    Anyway, back to the thread - thanks for your suggestions, it's very useful to know what's worked for others and I've got a better sense of what I need. Cheers.