Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

T.I.A - some advice, please

No, it's not the Tasmanian version of the CIA. It's the abbreviated medical terminology for a mini-stroke. My 40-year-old son Ben suffered one just before 0600 on Friday, a fact, btw, of which he saw fit to inform me, in customary dead-pan style, only a few hours ago. Didn't want me to worry, apparently ....

Indeed, it seems that the incident itself lasted only about ten minutes. As Ben stepped out of the shower he felt a loss of sensation in the left arm and leg, and a loss of speech. Being close to a major hospital, paramedics turned up within five minutes - actually two crews, at shift-change time the dispatcher, taking no chances, having sent both finishing and starting crews. This was much to the delight of the house puppy, who had four new friends to greet, and no doubt caused much sly twitching of curtains in the quiet cul-de-sac. By the time of the medics' admirably swift arrival, Ben had substantially recovered already. After a morning's hospitalisation and some tests, he was given minimal medication, told to rest and then sent on his way.

Looking at the list of what may increase the risk of a t.i.a. (incidentally, hearing that a family member has had a t.i.a. is not on the list), I am rather at a loss to know what (amateur) advice to give for the future, and would therefore much appreciate any guidance that Lifers may be able to offer from their own or others' experience.

Please bear in mind when commenting that both my sons are often on here. Ben is Er..Be..Ab..Pl..Wo..Wo..Ch, which as any transport-savvy forum will know is short for Erith Belvedere Abbey Wood Plumstead Woolwich Arsenal Woolwich Dockyard Charlton, and Chris is Zinedine Bagheri, a username which suggests a long evening's exposure to fluids of a strongly alcoholic nature.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Had a friend who had the same in his early 50s, he had a bit of a party lifestyle which he laid off for around 6 months.

He recovered fully and has had no issues since, the mini-stroke was around 4 years ago.

• Options
    Sorry, GHF, no advice - but just to say so sorry to hear that and wish Ben all the best.

FWIW, the wife of a colleague at work had something similar a few months ago - she also has a memory blackout of about a week before the event - but she has made a full recovery with no other after effects.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this.

There was a feature on radio 4 saying that there is a much higher corrolation between TIA and a major stroke than previously thought.

The Doc on the radio said make sure it gets follow up with a full check asap.
  • Options
    Can't help I'm afraid but all the best to him
  • Options
    @GlassHalfFull as you know I was at school with Ben.

@Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch I'm really sorry to hear this mate, hope you are ok. Look after yourself pal
  • Options
    Hope he makes a full and long lasting recovery.
  • Options

@GlassHalfFull as you know I was at school with Ben.

@Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch I'm really sorry to hear this mate, hope you are ok. Look after yourself pal

Take care and get well soon.
    Ray
  • Options
    A guy I used to work with suffered one in the canteen one lunch time. That's was about 5 years ago, never had health issues before and hasn't had any since.

Best wishes to Ben.
  • Options
    Your ex sounds like a complete tool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Many, many thanks for your helpful and supportive remarks, my good friends. Ben is planning to go to the office this week, but "only" for a mere 35 hours. He'll certainly be taking things a bit steadier

And, dear @Arsenetatters, having met you recently I can only think that your late un-lamented was having sanity issues also ....
  • Options
    My 87 year old ma in law had a stroke a year ago. They said it was a TIA at some point, but it wasn't, it was a "proper" stroke.

One year on she's got little use of her left arm & hand and can just about get round her house, albeit with the use of a stick. Our family between us make sure, someone is with her most of the time, although she doesn't need carers any longer (according to her). Can't see matters ever changing for the better.

There's load of info available and the stroke association are very willing, although if you know what you're doing, we didn't have much need for them. All the best to all of you.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/transient-ischaemic-attack/Pages/introduction.aspx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this @GlassHalfFull and ditto AFKA's message to you @Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch

Best of luck with your recovery
  • Options

Once again, thanks for the good advice and encouragement.
  • Options

Many, many thanks for your helpful and supportive remarks, my good friends. Ben is planning to go to the office this week, but "only" for a mere 35 hours. He'll certainly be taking things a bit steadier

And, dear @Arsenetatters, having met you recently I can only think that your late un-lamented was having sanity issues also ....

Thank you @GlassHalfFull. My dear ex had just reached 40 and, I guess, a midlife crisis. I knew things were wrong when he bought a new pair of swimming trunks. Luckily the current Mr Tatters had his mid life crisis before we got together.
  • Options
    @Arsenetatters A male mid-life crisis takes one of two directions: either a new, red, convertible sports car or a fling with a young floozie.

Rest peaceful in the knowledge that he chose by far the most expensive option. :wink:
  • Options
    The good thing about TIAs is that a full recovery is normal although it can be a warning, and should be taken as one.

Stress is a very common cause which in turn makes the Blood Pressure rise. Life style doesn't help and would need changing (normally).

Normally a referral would be made to a Stroke Unit for scans etc which would be arranged by your GP
  • Options
    Sorry, I've got no advice only best wishes.
  • Options
    So sorry to read this GHF. Please wish Ben well from me. My cousin had a TIA a couple of years ago, and has made a full recovery. Can't offer any advice except to perhaps take things easier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi GHF, sorry to hear this.

My Mum first had a T.I.A in 1997 when she was 60, with similar symptoms to Ben, though her loss of speech lasted a few days. We were on holiday in Barbados at the time, and the health service is pretty decent there (though we took her to hospital ourselves) so it was probably a couple more hours before she was seen than Ben. That said, I'm glad to say she pretty much made a full recovery, save for the very occasional inability to pronounce certain words.

Unfortunately she had another attack in 2008, then aged 70, just before she was due to fly to England for my wedding. We were worried she wouldn't be able to fly because of the pressurisation etc, but the docs patched up and sent her on her way and she made it over. The 2nd attack seemed to leave her no 'worse' than before, with the same very occasional slight speech impediment persisting.

I'm pleased to say that she is still going strong at nearly 80, preparing to come to the UK for a little holiday later this year (in the winter!), and the only thing she takes in relation to the attacks is a daily aspirin to keep the blood thinner. She's much more worried by her dodgy hip than anything T.I.A related these days, touch wood.

Obviously everyone is different and it's important to keep an eye on things over the next few weeks, but my Mum's case and reading around the subject has shown me that without any major change in lifestyle a pretty much full recovery happens a lot, so hopefully Ben can go about his business in the same way he always did for a good few years yet.

Hope this helps.
  • Options

@kkb - that is indeed very helpful. Many thanks !!

I just spoke to Ben. He is already on his way home, and will work from home for the rest of the week, a wise decision.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Thanks @robroy and others, much appreciated.
  • Options
    The Stroke Society is well worth looking up
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I had a minor stroke a few years back and am now on pretty unobtrusive medication .. clopidogrel a blood thinner, a blood pressure pill and a statin .. so far so good .. first thing though .. get a thorough medical check up