Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Southgate

Comments

• Options

Given a 4 year contract.

• Options
    Should not be give anyone a contract beyond the next tournament, hopefully there are break clauses.
  • Options
    Four managers in four years so what do they do. Give him a four year contract.

I fear for the future of football in this country I really do.
  • Options
    Steve Avory was Southgate's PE teacher.
  • Options
    Good as any one to do the job ..
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

Agree, but I doubt he will still be doing it in two years, a four year contract is throwing money away.
  • Options

jdsd42 said:

Agree, but I doubt he will still be doing it in two years, a four year contract is throwing money away.
    Rather throw it to him than
    The last 3 to&& pots

Be good if something comes from
    The St George's park set up

• Options
    he's done OK so far, we'll see how he goes, can't be a lot worse than recent incumbents .. I hope the 'media' lay off him and let him get on with the job
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Qualify easily. Get an easy group. Struggle in easy group. Go through as runners up. Get a fairly easy last 32 tie. Get knocked out. Manager sacked. Repeat.
  • Options
    My condolences to him, he really didn't want the job. I bet he was hoping Pardew would sacked at the weekend so that he might get a stay of execution.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad Steve Holland is his assistant. Very good coach.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The interview must of been grueling... known as a Katrien in the business. Applicants = 1
  • Options
    Was known as a slave to prozone and other football analyst software when he was at Middlesbrough. Just a safe pair of hands like hodgson was, not gonna have a bunch of tabloid headlines like Sven, big Sam and Pardew would have done.
  • Options
    If he'd been appointed immediately after Hodgson using the continuity from U21 angle you might have said that was laudable, but giving the job to big Sam suggests that he is an afterthought, or cheapest option
  • Options
    Surprised it's a 4 year deal rather than until the next tournament. Or did England not want the risk of us winning the World Cup and Southgate being poached by Real Madrid.....
  • Options

Surprised it's a 4 year deal rather than until the next tournament. Or did England not want the risk of us winning the World Cup and Southgate being poached by Real Madrid.....

Real Madrid regretting signing Lopetegui now
  • Options

Steve Avory was Southgate's PE teacher.

He was also mine, so he’s not always had success.
    And mine...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm proud to say I was among the group of (part-time) Gravesend & Northfleet (Ebbsfleet) supporters at Villa park to watch the cup-tie between Villa and Fleet. Who, upon seeing Southgate drive into the ground Chanted "who are ya, who are ya?" directly at him......................happy days.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The bloke comes across as an absolute gentleman who clearly ‘gets it’ when it comes to what the England job requires - not just on the pitch, but the circus around it as well.

Very pleased to have him as our leader.

Agreed but so was Sir Alf who eventually fell from grace :disappointed: .
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Got a lot of time for him. Will hold my hands up and say when he was appointed I thought absolutely zero positivity on the basis that I felt it was a safe FA bet, him having managed the u21s, and his club career very little to write home about. However his passion and quiet sense of resolve has won me over. Also like that he plays 3-5-2. The in formation for many at the moment is the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and England often fall into the trap of trying to copy the rest of the top nations when we don’t have the same talent

Leicester bucked the trend when they won the prem with traditional 4-4-2 and it suited them. 3-5-2 seems to suit us. Our football hasn’t been free flowing, and we haven’t scored many from open play. But we have a massive chance of getting into the final now and if we get to the final and the unthinkable happens, then I couldn’t care if played like a Dave Basset team between now and then and our name is on the trophy at the end of it.

No one will look back in years to come and think about our style.

We have got some momentum and if we can get past Sweden, maybe, we could all be about to witness something that will go down as one of the greatest things in our lifetime

Long way to go, but in Southgate I trust
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Agree with cobbles but he was a couple of penalties away from returning to be a palace back and front , fine lines indeed
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Agree with cobbles but he was a couple of penalties away from returning to be a palace back and front , fine lines indeed

I was an email away from securing a future with Meire. Instead here I am, a figure of ridicule among my peers.....
    Peers? Steady on young man let's not get carried away. :wink:
  • Options
    Check out #garethsouthgatewould on Twitter.