Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Jimmy Seed book

Hi all

Not sure if it's widely known, but I'm in the early stage of researching and writing a new book about the life and times of Jimmy Seed, my grandad.
I'll obviously be using his auto-biography The Jimmy Seed Story as a framework, but hope to fill in some of the gaps as well adding a little more biographical information.
As When Saturday Comes put it: 'As in much of life, the real fascination with The Jimmy Seed Story comes from what it doesn’t tell you. His entire wartime service merits just one paragraph. More intriguing still, his England appearances are afforded a mere four words: “...my playing career with Sunderland, Mid-Rhondda, Spurs, Sheffield Wednesday and, of course, England.” It does make you wonder just how bad it can have been to justify reducing the experience to a conjunction, an adverbial phrase and a proper noun.'
He also had a little sister, Minnie, who, I've discovered, was something of a famous footballer herself during WW1. Can you imagine what it was like for Jimmy coming back from the war having being gassed, only to be ditched by Sunderland, finding himself out of work, and his sister playing in front of 30,000 fans at St James' Park?

Anyway, as research for my book I'm looking for people with Jimmy Seed stories, either surviving players, or their relatives mainly, or people who worked for Charlton perhaps? I'm sure there'll be people out there with tales to tell, or anecdotes at least.
Even the fella I sit next to in upper west was telling me that his dad used to work at the Valley on his school holidays, painting things and doing general odd jobs. Apparently JS used to come out onto the pitch with a shotgun and shoot the pigeons!
Any info or contacts gratefully received.
Thanks!
PS Early research has revealed that in the pre Jimmy Seed era Charlton's average League position was 49th.
In the 23 year Jimmy Seed era it was 11th.
And post Jimmy Seed it has been 32nd. Not including this season.
Makes me proud, at any rate.
And it highlighted for me how, not for the first time in Jimmy's career, the war came at a bad time. After promotion to Div One Charlton finished 2nd, 4th then 3rd, (as many of you know), before the war intervened.
Cheers
Jim

Comments

• Options
    Great news, look forward to hearing more.
  • Options
    Average 'end of season' position I should have said.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Jd, do you know (you must) Martin Seed ?
  • Options

No I don't actually?
  • Options
    JD, I worked with a lady in the late 80's/early 90's at an insurance company in Sidcup, I think she was Jimmy's niece but her name escapes me now - she always had a story.
  • Options
    Jimmy had nine siblings. There were five brothers and five sisters. Anthony Seed was Charlton's chief coach.
    Minnie Seed was the youngest being a couple of years younger than Jimmy.
    Angus Seed was also a footballer and a manager. Also a bit of a war hero.
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

No I don't actually?
    I'm surprised. He lived with a girlfriend of mine in Plumstead and was related to Jimmy.

I can't remember the relationship, but Martin would probably be about 50 now.

He sat with me in the Charlton end at the play off final, Charlton v Sunderland.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I found this in the museum recently

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Any details in here of interest?

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersS/BioSeedJM.html

Two-thirds of the way down the page, this has some images of the stadium of Royal Daring Club de Bruxelles from 1923, 2 years after he made his debut match for England there (one with a sabre-toting policeman):

http://www.rwdm-fcbrussels.be/11-FICHES/fiche-galeriephotos1895-1939.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of Jimmy's brothers emigrated, either to South Africa, or Canada.

Anthony (cafc chief scout) was still in the North East in 1956, when he resigned after Jimmy was sacked.

Angus managed Aldershot, then Barnsley, but died in '53 when just 60 while still managing Barnsley. This must have been a real shock to Jimmy as they'd always been close.

Minnie was in the North East in '56.
    I'll be doing more family tree research next year, Minnie being of particular interest.
  • Options

jdmotion said:

No I don't actually?
    I'm surprised. He lived with a girlfriend of mine in Plumstead and was related to Jimmy.

He sat with me in the Charlton end at the play off final, Charlton v Sunderland.
    Does anyone have any more knowledge of Martin, or clues as to his whereabouts?
  • Options

Any details in here of interest?

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersS/BioSeedJM.html

Two-thirds of the way down the page, this has some images of the stadium of Royal Daring Club de Bruxelles from 1923, 2 years after he made his debut match for England there (one with a sabre-toting policeman):

http://www.rwdm-fcbrussels.be/11-FICHES/fiche-galeriephotos1895-1939.html

I've seen the England site, but the Brussels page looks interesting.
    I'll be looking for any Belgian newspaper articles relating to the '21 match, generally agreed to be England's first match against a 'foreign' team. They weren't such a big deal back then. But historic nonetheless. England didn't bother with such none sense as managers. The players just used to discuss formation and tactics in the dressing room before the game.
    Maybe Charlton could try that?
  • Options
    My uncle Peter Etherton played for Charlton in the war Jim.
    I have got a couple of letters sent to my uncle from your grandad.
    Not very insightful; however, they do evoke memories of that time. I will scan if possible and inbox to you.Any probs please let me know.
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

jdmotion said:

No I don't actually?

I could get a contact number if you wish (probably).
  • Options
    On 192.com
    Martin J Seed living in SE18 with Terri Sanger 2006/7
    Now living in Yeovil Somerset with the same lady .
    You have to pay to get the address.
  • Options
    Jim,
    I have left you a message in your inbox.
  • Options

jdmotion said:

jdmotion said:

I could get a contact number if you wish (probably).
    That'd be great!

Sadly, I don't remember there being much contact with remaining Seeds after granddad died. Because my granny outlived him we tended to see her side of the family more.
  • Options

On 192.com
    Martin J Seed living in SE18 with Terri Sanger 2006/7
    Now living in Yeovil Somerset with the same lady .
    You have to pay to get the address.

Thanks, I could do that if all else fails.
    Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Sent you a pm @jdmotion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I think Brian Kinsey was one of Jimmy Seed's last signings and he still regularly visits The Valley I believe. I don't know Brian myself but there might be some on here who know him. Wasn't he an Old Roan? There's a few of them on here.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    There's a reference to Minnie Seed here:

https://blythspirit.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/ladies-doing-it-for-themselves/

Scroll down

And she is named in the opposition a couple of times here:

http://www.donmouth.co.uk/womens_football/dick_kerr.html

Two team references here: scroll down to bottom

http://www.donmouth.co.uk/womens_football/cumbrian_munitionettes.html
  • Options
    Is that your account on twitter? @Minnie_Seed
  • Options

Is that your account on twitter? @Minnie_Seed

Yes it is.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

There's a reference to Minnie Seed here:

https://blythspirit.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/ladies-doing-it-for-themselves/

Scroll down

And she is named in the opposition a couple of times here:

http://www.donmouth.co.uk/womens_football/dick_kerr.html

Two team references here: scroll down to bottom

http://www.donmouth.co.uk/womens_football/cumbrian_munitionettes.html

Yes and one of those site's editors was kind enough to send me a database of all the matches she's known to have played in.
    Just about to write a couple of letters!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I think Brian Kinsey was one of Jimmy Seed's last signings and he still regularly visits The Valley I believe. I don't know Brian myself but there might be some on here who know him. Wasn't he an Old Roan? There's a few of them on here.

It'd be great to hear from someone who knows him.
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

LenGlover said:

It'd be great to hear from someone who knows him.
    Derek Ufton played under Seed and would know others who did and still with us.
  • Options
    Not many surviving players from Seeds time.
    Brian Kinsey, Derek Ufton, Gordon Jago, Albert Uytenbogaardt, Eddie Firmani, Don Townsend and Bobby Lumley are the only players I can think of.
  • Options
    Sid O'Linn still alive and living in South Africa.

Jago is in the States as is Firmani
  • Options

Sid O'Linn still alive and living in South Africa.

Jago is in the States as is Firmani

I'm pleased to hear that Sid is still around.
    Do you know anything about Dudley Forbes and Kenny Chamberlain ?