Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hey Pitch PR!

How's that new campaign going? Don't see much on the website about the Charlton gig (nice-ish rebrand by the way). Bit odd you're not trumpeting your Belgian connection. I'd have thought you'd be proud of the clients you represent.

Ever had to fire a client because they were so deep in the brown stuff you just couldn't advise them of a way forward? Perhaps you should seek out the venerable Ms Baroni. She has a valuable perspective.

It's a bit embarrassing really. CARD handed you your own ass this morning. I'm sure you're not too pleased with the fallout. National and international press, trumpeting the CARD cause. The client must not be happy either. They're paying you the big bucks, but they could have made this mess on their own!

Still, maybe there's someone at Pitch who's higher up the totem pole and a little more experienced (and more expensive, no doubt), that could have a bash? Just insist on a bigger retainer.

I'm sure the elusive CARD would welcome a bit more of a challenge. It seems they're just getting warmed up. I swear they must study judo, the way they're able to use all of the might and power you and your Belgian's throw at them against you. They're only on a shoestring budget. Fascinating. Must be frustrating for all involved.

Still, chin up. Why not catch the next match at The Valley? It's sure to be a memorable experience. Plus, you'll get a good look at our hallowed turf. We have Roland to thank for that pitch as well. Like you, it hasn't made much of a difference; expensive as it was, we still can't seem to play much football on it! We're shite.

Comments

• Options
    Had a flick through.

Chelsea FC one of their other clients. If Chelsea feel the need to use this lot then they must offer something of worth.

Looks like a good company. Although I've got nothing to compare it with that belongs in the same field.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Charlton, quite possibly their biggest challenge yet.

Something that is pretty much rock bottom.

What looks like a few examples of their other clients, they only probably needed a boost, bit of freshness, different angle.

Our club needs something that a company like this will find very challenging to provide to the point where it's not worth it.

• Options
    No doubt Charlton is small fry for them as a client but they might be realising Charlton fans aren't easily swayed by this corporate PR bullshit and at the moment neither are the media. Expect them to drop Charlton as a client or go up the ladder and bring in the big guns to attack us. Scenario 1 is more likely as these companies value their own brand more than their clients in my experience unless they are paying the big bucks. The more it's out there that Pitch PR are advising them the twitchier they will become.
  • Options
    Well done, Cabbles!
  • Options
    Top work everyone. Well worth doing, IMO, so long as we keep it polite. "Reputational damage" is a phrase they will be familiar with...:-)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @cabbles

How did you track down Louisa Fryans? She doesn't come up on Linked In...

Ah. Fyans. No "r"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I know someone that was part of a PR company that represented CAFC recently, I found this out during a conversation. Before I'd had chance to give any opinion he told me that the regime were a joke and kept sticking there nose in and were basically dictating the PR from the PR company.

... so even when recruiting for off the pitch jobs, they can't keep there egotistical beaks out long enough for someone to do the job the hired them for !

Which PR company? @shine166
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I know someone that was part of a PR company that represented CAFC recently, I found this out during a conversation. Before I'd had chance to give any opinion he told me that the regime were a joke and kept sticking there nose in and were basically dictating the PR from the PR company.

... so even when recruiting for off the pitch jobs, they can't keep there egotistical beaks out long enough for someone to do the job the hired them for !

As Ms Baroni would also testify.
  • Options

@cabbles

How did you track down Louisa Fryans? She doesn't come up on Linked In...

Ah. Fyans. No "r"

Yeah the r was auto correct on my phone - don't worry mate all delivered and no bounce back ;-)
  • Options
    @PragueAddick also mate, was remarkably easy, she had her email on the website. Even their CEO does
  • Options
    cabbles said:

@PragueAddick also mate, was remarkably easy, she had her email on the website. Even their CEO does

That's good PR!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if it's worth approaching some of Pitch's other clients to put some pressure on them?

I've got multiple connections with people connected to Pitch people: https://linkedin.com/vsearch/p?f_CC=875773&trk=rr_connectedness

But alas none are clients of theirs.
  • Options

I wonder if it's worth approaching some of Pitch's other clients to put some pressure on them?

I've got multiple connections with people connected to Pitch people: https://linkedin.com/vsearch/p?f_CC=875773&trk=rr_connectedness

Send them messages via LinkedIn and tell them the issues, ask for feedback, to be our mole!
  • Options

I think that might be a bit of a stretch. Not quite a national PR scandal yet. Also we need to try and confirm 100% that Pitch are still working for them. @cabbles will manage it with a bit of pillow talk :-)

I am trying to get a contact for someone at PR Week, the house magazine of the industry. It would be embarassing for a big agency to see one of its campaigns ridiculed there.

But we need to make sure, and I'm mindful of what @shine166 wrote, using the past tense.

• Options
    T said:

What football clubs fail to realise is that their prime target audience is very much niche by comparison to other companies who would use PR to manage their relations with the general public.

Yes, a slick PR company may be able to spin a yarn for the national papers so some bloke in Doncaster reads the Sun and thinks "Charlton's owners are turning it around finally, good for them" before going back to tending his whippets and not giving it another thought; and perhaps it will even take the attention off them for a while in the mainstream press (I can see some value in that).

However the point they completely miss is that their target "customer base" is 99.9% not those people and those who are their "customers" in the main have a real idea of what the score is regardless of how much bunce they pay a group of media people to come up with some bullshit spin.

They can spend as much money as they like paying PR people to try and pull the wool over their mug customers' eyes and gloss over the shambles that is pretty much every material element of their ownership but the key audience to the "business" who they are talking rubbish to is us the fans....and even the most dim witted, mouth breathing element of our fan base will only swallow so much spin before realising that hovering above the relegation zone in the third division and losing to Crawley at home in a stadium emptier than Ron Jeremy's scrotum is not conducive to progressing a football club and reconciling supporter relations.

Don't be a twat and you won't need to pay someone to may you temporarily appear not to be a twat. Easy.

Spot on.

However Daisy isn't trying to appease us through these channels, she's trying to save her own personal reputation with the wider business world. As proven time and time again, she doesn't care about the fan base. This is about 'Brand Meire' and vehicle for her ego that she's trying to spin and protect...

Spot on. All we have seen of late - admissions of mistakes, promises to listen, meetings with 'fans' etc - is carefully scripted by the PR company with both eyes on the media. After all, that's what PR largely is, how a client is viewed by the media. Get them onside and the 'customers' will follow.

The email from Squirrel Face - the content, the timing etc - just serves to underline that. Almost every action the club is taking is aimed at the media, not the fans.

To be fair, the PR company is the best thing about the club at the moment. Perhaps they should start picking the team?
  • Options
    Are they trying fake fans on Twitter too?