Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slade for the scrapheap?

Comments

• Options
    Any chance you could copy the text please.
  • Options
    Addicks chief has overseen the club’s worst start to a season at this level for 90 years to leave them in relegation fight
    Fan's view
    By RICK EVERITT
    3rd October 2016, 12:53 pm

Shares
    Comment

CHARLTON have never played in English football’s fourth tier.

But the Addicks have never been closer to dropping in to it than after Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat by Rochdale – stretching latest manager Russell Slade’s side’s winless run to seven matches.
    Russell Slade is in the firing line
    PA:Press Association
    Russell Slade is in the firing line
    Absentee owner Roland Duchatele is a hugely unpopular figure
    PA:Press Association
    Absentee owner Roland Duchatelet is a hugely unpopular figure

It’s the club’s worst start to a season at this level for 90 years and Slade was booed off the pitch by the Valley faithful, who at one point resorted to chanting “put two up front” in protest at his baffling formation.

Absentee Belgian owner Roland Duchatelet has already changed his first-team boss SIX times since buying the club in January 2014 – and at this stage few would bet against him making it a far-from-magnificent seven before Christmas.

It’s easier, after all, to keep changing the manager than to face up to the fact that dismal player recruitment under chief executive Katrien Meire means the club is still footing the bill for seven senior players who are effectively unavailable for Slade to select.

Four are out on subsidised season loan; two more – Jorge Teixeira and El-Hadji Ba – have been confined to U23 duties after Meire failed to move them on in August; while Roger Johnson has effectively sidelined himself by rowing with travelling fans behind the goal on the opening day at Bury.
    Charlton fans protest against Belgian supremo Duchatelet
    Getty Images
    Charlton fans protest against Belgian supremo Duchatelet
    Supporters even held a mock funeral for club last season
    Reuters
    Supporters even held a mock funeral for club last season
    Furious Charlton fans chuck stress balls on pitch during Birmingham cl

Veteran boss Slade is probably the man most likely to stand up to the barmy Belgians since local hero Chris Powell was sacked two and a half years ago, even if his cautious tactics have had many fans scratching their heads.

His squad is thin in the midfield engine room and overstocked with central defenders, while he has struggled to find a winning combination up top. Starting Josh Magennis as a lone front man in the latest two home games almost suggested he had given up trying.

In a further sign of the madness behind the scenes at The Valley, 20-something computer-geek Belgian scout Thomas Driesen last week gave an interview in which he confirmed his own continuing involvement in recruitment at the club.

Despite playing a high-level role at Charlton since 2014, including being the only other person copied in to a string of emails about the team sent between Duchatelet, Meire and Powell, the Addicks had previously declined to acknowledge Driesen’s existence.
    Related Stories
    anti-social media Charlton 'threaten to ban fans' who post negative comments about the club on social media
    Chris QUITS Former England goalkeeper Chris Kirkland quits Bury less than 48 hours before season opener
    Cracked Addicks Charlton fan protests are falling on deaf ears... but Nicky Ajose promises to bring joy to unhappy Valley
    EZRI DOES IT Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea all scouting wonderkid Ezri Konsa
    BARCLAY'S FIRST XI Eleven key points from our man for this weekend’s Football League action

With Duchatelet having failed to attend a Charlton match in Britain for two years and no other board members, 32-year-old former lawyer Meire has carte blanche to do what she likes at the club.

And what she likes has so far included a house music DJ in a matchday family lounge, the nationally ridiculed Fans Sofa next to a corner flag, proposals for Saturday evening kick-offs and a scheme to scrap the paid-for matchday programme.

Poor football leading to relegation, bizarre ideas and a string of foot-in-mouth public utterances have made Meire a toxic figure among Charlton fans, 4,000 of whom gave up their season tickets in despair over the summer.

So regardless of what happens to Slade, this night-Meire is set to continue.
  • Options
    Good to get Driesen's involvement into the national press, even if it is in the Current Bun:

"In a further sign of the madness behind the scenes at The Valley, 20-something computer-geek Belgian scout Thomas Driesen last week gave an interview in which he confirmed his own continuing involvement in recruitment at the club.

Despite playing a high-level role at Charlton since 2014, including being the only other person copied in to a string of emails about the team sent between Duchatelet, Meire and Powell, the Addicks had previously declined to acknowledge Driesen’s existence."
  • Options
    I see @Airman Brown has nicked some of my prose from the recent email about the appointment of Pinnochio to the FBA panel of judges, no problem as long as the cheque is in the post :wink: .
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Apologies re the source of the story - just came across when randomly searching for some other stuff.

https://thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1901334/charlton-boss-russell-slade-likely-to-be-thrown-on-roland-duchatelets-scrapheap-like-the-six-before-him/

Airman Brown writing for The Sun, we live in strange times :smile:

Blimey, I didn't spot that. I thought it was rather more articulate and well-researched than their usual offerings !

Nice work
    Yeh, good point, my fee has just gone up :wink: .
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I'm sure if Slade gets the boot the owner will take that as evidence that having a manager with English football experience is pointless and revert to transferring some muppet from his network.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's Riga doing at the moment? Or is it Peeter's or Luzon's turn again?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

What's Riga doing at the moment? Or is it Peeter's or Luzon's turn again?

Riga is surprisingly still unemployed, he was rumoured to be in the running for the job at the er famous R.E. Mouscron but missed out it seems..

http://www.voetbalbelgie.be/nl/article.php?id=113660
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Apologies re the source of the story - just came across when randomly searching for some other stuff.

https://thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1901334/charlton-boss-russell-slade-likely-to-be-thrown-on-roland-duchatelets-scrapheap-like-the-six-before-him/

Blimey, I didn't spot that. I thought it was rather more articulate and well-researched than their usual offerings !

Nice work
    I look forward to next month's VOTV being more tabloid in style :-)
  • Options

Blucher said:

Nice work
    The third page should be good anyway !
  • Options
    Best newspaper article I've read so far .. accurate and damning
  • Options
    I don't think it matters, he's got a contract that will be paid up and we get another manager. I actually think Slade is less than an average manger and I did predict he would be sacked by the end of September, l got the latter wrong but I'm sure we've had a coach/manger sacked with a better record. I can't really remember we've been through a good few in recent years.
    Whoever is next will be much of same as we have had for the last couple of years. This mob either don't want success or haven't a clue how to get it.
    My mum knows more about football than the combined brains of Roland and his senior management team at Charlton.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Blucher said:

Nice work
    Airman or Henry though?
  • Options

I don't think it matters, he's got a contract that will be paid up and we get another manager. I actually think Slade is less than an average manger and I did predict he would be sacked by the end of September, l got the latter wrong but I'm sure we've had a coach/manger sacked with a better record. I can't really remember we've been through a good few in recent years.
    Whoever is next will be much of same as we have had for the last couple of years. This mob either don't want success or haven't a clue how to get it.
    My mum knows more about football than the combined brains of Roland and his senior management team at Charlton.

And Sue Perks without doubt :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rizzo said:

I'm sure if Slade gets the boot the owner will take that as evidence that having a manager with English football experience is pointless and revert to transferring some muppet from his network.

Whatever he does, we must remember that "every appointment has been better then the last"
  • Options
    edited October 2016

se9addick said:

Blucher said:

Nice work
    Airman or Henry though?
    Oh spare us, keep those cardigans on perlease lads.............on second thoughts how about a pullover? :wink:
  • Options
    mogodon said:

The report in the South Wales Echo from January 2016 about Cardiff fans demanding Slade be sacked contains this assessment of why he was so unpopular:-

Right from the start, despite the early wins, fans began moaning about what they perceived as route one, old-fashioned 4-4-2 football. Because they were outnumbered in the centre of midfield, Cardiff were frequently outplayed by the opposition, even when winning some matches. Slade did not accept the accusation that his team was boring. To be fair, the side changed style and began to play with far more purpose and flair. But for many the damage had already been done... they found Slade's style a turn-off and began staying away.

So he's now switched to 4-5-1 and become even duller. This can only end in tears.

The conclusion of the article is also familiar ...

In a way you have to feel sorry for Slade. Never really given a proper chance by many fans, even some of those who did support him have subsequently turned. There are suggestions the shambolic FA Cup defeat at the weekend could be the beginning of the end, particularly given the embarrassingly low gate which shows fans are voting with their feet. Slade might be justified in arguing the fans were never with him from day one, so he'll just carry on regardless. But the whole situation makes for an uncomfortable disconnect between Cardiff City FC and their fans.

Deja vu then.
  • Options
    Good article to be fair. I'll go Slade a few more games to win me over but to he honest he looks inept so far.
  • Options
    All a bit premature for me and i'd definitely give him more time, but I suppose it's easy for us boycotters to say that not having seen much of us play.

• Options

All a bit premature for me and i'd definitely give him more time, but I suppose it's easy for us boycotters to say that not having seen much of us play.

You ain't missed much boss believe me
  • Options

se9addick said:

Blucher said:

Nice work
    Airman or Henry though?
    Surely it's gotta be Fanny on page 3?