Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Crawley | Tue 04 Oct 2016 | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Crawley Town
Tuesday 4th October 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Football League Trophy

Introduction

Four draws and a single defeat… that was our record for the whole of September and if that footballing month was a report card it would read along the lines of: Must be more organised, ruthless yet not be afraid to make attacking changes where necessary… October began last Saturday and thanks to a 1-0 defeat at home to Rochdale; results appear to show no sign of improvement.

Thanks to International Call-ups once more, there will be no game this Saturday coming… Yet before everyone can have a break for two weeks there is the little sideshow that is the Football League Trophy, still in the Group stages and having drawn our first game against Southampton (yet gaining a bonus point after winning on penalties), we now play host to Crawley Town in a top of the group clash knowing that a win for either side will see the victors advance to the Second Round… C’mon Crawley!!

The Opposition
Name: Crawley Town | Manager: Dermot Drummy
Ground: Broadfield Stadium

When the new format of the Football League Trophy was announced it was confirmed that each Group (of four teams) would have at least one team from each Division (so one Academy Team, one team from League One and one from League Two)… For once the draw worked in the Addicks favour and this Tuesday night we face the first of our League Two opponents.

Crawley Town have had a steady rise through the Football Pyramid… Like recent opponents: Fleetwood and Wimbledon, the Red Devils began in the Non-League system, breaking into the Football League in 2010… In 2011 it got better and after one season in League Two won promotion to League One… Since that season, they have been relegated (Crawley bounced back once more). With many sides who aim too high, financial problems set into the club and in 2015, the club were relegated back to League Two where they now remain.

Of course, this is the Football League Trophy, not a League game so enough of League problems that involve these two sides… This will be the first competitive meeting between the two clubs and as mentioned, it is a top of the table clash (after Crawley won their opening fixture)… Who will manage to get the three points to advance to a non-regionalised second round? – To be honest I don’t think fans of either club really care, so brace yourself for what will surely be the lowest ever attendance at the Valley.

Charlton Team News
Following defeat against Rochdale; Russell Slade believed that player decision making had to be better and that fans were unfair to boo substitutions coming on for other players… What he fails to realise is that many fans believe that his own decision making needs to be better and that the booing was reserved for him.

With the Football League Trophy now back, it means that Slade is restricted as to who is dropped from the starting eleven as a number of the squad who played on Saturday must play tomorrow night (Both Luton and Portsmouth ignored this rule but I don’t think that Charlton can afford the £5k fine)… Despite this its already been confirmed that Dillon Phillips will be the Goalkeeper in these cup matches whilst both U23 players: Anfernee Dijksteel and Joe Aribo are both expected to make their Addicks debuts, so expect kids and grown-ups to be delighted in regards to the latter.

Phillips
Foley | Bauer | Pearce | Chicksen
Holmes | Crofts | Dijksteel | Aribo
Ajose | Hanlan

Substitutes Bench: Rudd | Lennon | Konsa | Jackson | Fox | Novak | Umerah

Prediction
Regardless of the fact that we were facing an academy side in our previous match, Charlton don’t seem too bothered if they go far or not… Of course that could change if Russell Slade feels his job is under threat and decides to try and win some silverware yet I’m expecting the Addicks to get more bonus points this evening in what will be another drab draw.

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:

You must really loathe spending time with your family if you're turning up for this waste of time.

Or you dont have any friends or family!!
  • Options
    I believe all 30 people who turn up for this should be named in a special chapter in the next league matchday programme and have statues next to Sam Bartrams.
  • Options
    Wish this had been at the Check-a-Trade Stadium... much closer to home. I won't be going, but I hope that we get to practice some penalties again.
  • Options
    Considering flying home 3 days early from Vilamoura just for this
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Rudd
    Foley | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
    Lookman | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Philips| Lennon | Konsa | Jackson | Botaka | Novak | Ajose

Prediction
    Lose 1-0 again.

• Options

As previously mentioned on Saturdays match thread, I will not be doing a match thread tomorrow night. However I have been contacted by people asking me to continue to do the match threads which has been a humbling experience. Therefore I will be back for the rest of the season (apart from work commitments or holidays) starting against Coventry.
    As for tomorrows game, I cant see a win coming anywhere at the moment so its 1-1 for me. See you all on 15th.

Disappointed to read that some people are so selfish to ask you to continue doing the commentary if you do not like doing it.

However If you actually want to continue doing it, I'm glad that you'll be back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I genuinely couldn't give less of a shit about this game.

First game I am missing through apathy in years.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Rudd
    Lookman | Magennis

Prediction
    Lose 1-0 again.

I dont see Lookman or Magennis appearing as they've probably joined up with their respective International Squads

Same with Botaka who I've removed from my Match-Day Squad
  • Options
    I hope it will be possible to buy a ticket on the night, who cares about the surcharge this should be a cracker
  • Options
    Really looking forward to tomorrow night.

Starting Narcos Series 1
  • Options
    Barnstorming 7 v 6.

That is home fans v away fans.
  • Options

4-0 Charlton.
    The game to kick start the season. Wembley and automatic promotion in the same year.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not going, but my guess (presuming that six who featured on Saturday have to start...) on the starting XI is -

Phillips
    Foley
    Lennon
    Pearce
    Fox
    Charles-Cook
    Crofts
    Dijksteel
    Aribo
    Ajose
    Novak

Substitutes: Rudd, Konsa, Chicksen, Johnson, Jackson, Hanlan, Umerah

I know that everything might change of we get a sniff of Wembley, but this really is a joke competition now they have tainted it with B teams...
  • Options
    I'm not going to be able to go to match until Swindon on the 12th of November which will presumably be postponed for internationals so I'm looking at 19th November and Port Vale before I can watch us agin, so I'm going to this one and fully expect a win.

That said I predicted we'd beat Rochdale 3-0 so what do I know !
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    This thread is not even a Sticky.

Oh, how irrelevant and pointless is the Pointless Trophy or whatever silly name it's called?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

This thread is not even a Sticky.

Oh, how irrelevant and pointless is the Pointless Trophy or whatever silly name it's called?

The Match Preview sometimes takes a while to become a sticky as a Mod has to do it
  • Options
    Slade should be sacked if he doesn't use this game to try something different in central midfield. We have enough u23s to choose from.

I'd actually prefer him not to throw too many in at once, better to see how one or two do alongside a strong side (not our strongest, since Lookman, Magennis and Botaka are all missing due to call ups).
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Scoham said:

Slade should be sacked if he doesn't use this game to try something different in central midfield. We have enough u23s to choose from.

I'd actually prefer him not to throw too many in at once, better to see how one or two do alongside a strong side (not our strongest, since Lookman, Magennis and Botaka are all missing due to call ups).

Can't we as for the match to be postponed, due to international call-ups?

;o)
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Rudd
    Lookman | Magennis

Prediction
    Lose 1-0 again.

I dont see Lookman or Magennis appearing as they've probably joined up with their respective International Squads

Ah yes, your team could be very accurate then!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Rudd
    Lookman | Magennis

Prediction
    Lose 1-0 again.

Ah yes, your team could be very accurate then!
    I'm not often right so doubt it ;)