Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FC Charlton

The longer Roland and Nightmeire stay does this actually become more of a possibility?

Comments

• Possible but unlikely .. the Afc Womble story is complicated .. a 'revolution' founded by a very clever 'far left' activist and backed by a wealthy software/games company ..

Afc Charlton would take a LOT of dedicated work and patience by 'fans' AND, most importantly, to make a real impression on the professional game, a LOT of £££££
  • It's a good question. It's not something that I would rule out. For me, it's not just about the level we play at, it's the whole spirit of the club that is important. KM is right about one thing - the match day experience is important. Yes, I enjoyed the Premiership years, but I've enjoyed plenty of other periods at Charlton. The current situation is just unpleasant and not enjoyable. Yes, it is connected to the level we are playing, but everyone (surely) knows that it's not just about playing in League 1. There were many who said that they would take relegation last year if RD and his cronies disappeared. Well, we've got the first half of that - if only, we knew when the second half would happen. This mess isn't necessarily at its lowest point yet. There are plenty of businesses that go through bad times and recover, but to recover there needs to be something positive to make that recovery happen. I'm struggling to find one positive thing right now.
  • Not for me. Owners come and go in football... Roland won't be here forever, even though it's killing us all at the moment. Not really comparable to the AFC situation as Roland doesn't have plans to up sticks and move us north (I hope)...
  • Too soon to be thinking about this
  • Yes got to be thought about
  • I wouldn't rule it out.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    Surely our determination is deeper than Roly's wallet. Apparently he is bankrolling an even bigger loss every month. Within a few years he will be begging someone to take the club off his hands for a pound.
  • I wouldnt rule it out either, and I'd be supportive - but realistically I'm not going to be desperately motivated to travel an hour to watch 8th-tier football. SO it would be a real last resort.

The Wimbledon analogy is not a good one - the original club left South London, so the carrying on regardless (as a supporter) was not an option. With FC United, I wonder how many of their fans sneak along to Old Trafford if offereed a ticket - and note also that they ain't in the FL yet...
  • No, we're miles away from this becoming either viable or attractive.
  • edited October 2016
    Football needs a reboot, not just Charlton. For that reason I think a future of fan owned and run clubs competing against each other will be the way to go. And a similar takeover of the FA would be in order too.
  • kentred2 said:

Yes got to be thought about

redman said:

I wouldn't rule it out.

I've thought about it. And ruled it out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Creation of FC Charlton/AFC Charlton would be admitting defeat.

We're Charlton Athletic and we don't do that!

Except the team on a saturday...
  • Not for me, I won't driving 1.5 hours each way to watch a new club start out in the 9th tier. They won't be here forever.
  • Creation of FC Charlton/AFC Charlton would be admitting defeat.

We're Charlton Athletic and we don't do that!

Agree
    Charlton were established by football fans on Siemens Meadows in the days when Siemens were an English company. The Belgians have acquired the assets but they don't own the club and never can do since the goodwill is vested in the fans. If the fans desert they will still not own the club only the assets but the assets will have less value. The players would be of zero value as walking assets and only the land as a brownfield building site would have any worth. That would not be as much as many on here think and would not cover Roly's loans

The intangible goodwill of the fans is what makes or breaks a club whether it be Man U or Hitchin Town. We could transfer the support to an AFC Charlton but it would not be CAFC and would not leave me grimacing every time another disastrous result is achieved by the current management team. CAFC is our club in the same way as Valley Floyd Road and Red Red Robin are our songs.

A company that is a going concern is frequently valued at more than its net asset value because it has a propensity to deliver income, generate goodwill. If it is not a going concern it is just a fire sale asset. If Roly took away his support and stopped lending or demanded a return the impairment of the asset would crystalise.

He must recognise that there is a point of no return as Commodore MIere and First officer Cahones use the satellite navigation of Driesen and steerage of Slade to wreck the ship. The engines have been cut. He has to jump overboard soon or they will even wreck his lifeboat.

• I don't think we are far enough down the road to contemplate "AFC Charlton".
    Don't forget that Wimbledon went down this road because the club wanted to relocate to Milton Keynes, and that seems a heck of a lot further down the line than things are at CAFC. I t

I'd respectfully suggest we put our efforts into pushing the Regime out of our club - at least for the time being. If there comes a time when we really have to start an alternative club, then I think we will all know.
  • What about FC United of Manchester...

They formed because they didnt agree with how the Glaziers were running Man Utd?