Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best player to be a successful manager?

Was reading on another thread about whether being a respected good football manager is linked to footballing pedigree as a player and was thinking who would be considered the best player to be the most successful manager.

Alex Ferguson was a great manager but not known for being head and shoulders above as a player whereas the great Maradona never did overly well as a manager.

Guardiola was a world class player and is doing well in his management career.

Beckenbauer must be up there.

Comments

• Options
    Diego Simeone is doing alright for himself
  • Options
    Our own Jimmy Seed was good enough to play for his country....
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Brian Clough for me two European Cups to his name with rag, tag and bobtail teams who he got to play above themselves like Leicester did last season but on a regular basis and not too few domestic trophies either.
  • Options
    Brian Clough
    Pep Guardiola
    Johann Cryuff
    Diego Simeone
    Franz Beckenbauer

They're the names that instantly come to me (not just because they've already been listed)
  • Options
    Ronnie Moore
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    What about (Sir) Alf Ramsey?

Played in the top tier for Spurs and won 32 England caps as a player. Took an unfancied Ipswich to the division 1 (pre premiership) title as a club manager and won the World cup in 1966 as an international manager.
  • Options
    Dalglish?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wee Gordon Strachan has done OK for himself
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Pochettino was capped by Argentina and hasn't done too badly

Same with Frank Riikjaard / Ronald Koeman and Frank de Boer and Holland... Glenn Hoddle started well with Swindon / Chelsea and England but had the problem of bigmouthitis whilst Ruud Gullit didnt do badly either
  • Options
    Clough only played a few top flight games, I don't think you can include him in the same sentence as Beckenbauer and Cryuff.

Can't think of many British ones, Dalglish and Mark Hughes? !
  • Options
    Diego Simeone for me
  • Options
    Mancini
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Cruyff?

Didn't win that much (not sure how much credence you can give to La Liga wins) as a manager but without a doubt probably the person who had the most significant impact on a single club, Barca to this day are thriving off of his philosophies.
  • Options
    Michael Laudrup was a decent player.
  • Options

Michael Laudrup was a decent player.

Really good player but other than the League Cup with Swansea he's not done much as a Manager
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Clough only played a few top flight games, I don't think you can include him in the same sentence as Beckenbauer and Cryuff.

Beckenbauer and Cruyff managed top European clubs full of big name players, English international Clough built his teams from journeymen pros at a mid table / bottom half Division One side (Premiership), so surely that evens things out :smirk: .
  • Options
    Shearer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ho Ho Ho.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    You could make an argument that Zidane is a successful manager given they won the Champs Lge last year.

Apart from him it has to be Johann Cruyff.
  • Options
    Ancelotti?

But Off_it has already named the winner.
  • Options
    Can't believe I'm the only one to name Sir Alf Ramsey.
  • Options
    Guardiola
  • Options
    Ian Dowie
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Beckenbauer and Cruyff managed top European clubs full of big name players, English international Clough built his teams from journeymen pros at a mid table / bottom half Division One side (Premiership), so surely that evens things out :smirk: .
    I was referring to his playing career. I think some people have misread the question!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    edited September 2016

RedChaser said:

I was referring to his playing career. I think some people have misread the question!
    They may well have done, all depends what your definition of a best player is, England Intenational was good enough for me and it was of course a two part question :open_mouth: .
  • Options
    Jurgen Klinsmann