Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russell Slade at East Kent Addicks

An enjoyable couple of hours with Slade and Nugent with about 60 fellow Addicks.

Although widely derided on here, they are a committed group of Charlton fans who arrange evenings like this for local supporters and do it very well. I believe that only a few are members of this forum, so I suspect this is the reason why the feedback here is often sparse.

I got the feeling that most fans in the room were anti the regime - indeed some were quite vociferous in their condemnation, which surprised me. However quite a few were against the protests and felt it was nothing but a hindrance to the team performing. Russell himself suggested the players would use this as an excuse if they performed badly.

Anybody who wanted to ask question of Slade/Nugent were free to do so, with no censorship. However, as you'd expect there were certain issues that Russell was, shall we say, guarded about.

The first session started off with Russell explaining how he and the team operate on a weekly basis, including thorough analysis of players, fitness levels, performance and areas of strengths and weaknesses that they feel they need to work on, illustrated with a good old PowerPoint presentation. Lots of stats, who did what, when and where, who passes to who, who crosses from where, how many metres each player runs and at what intensity etc. Fascinating stuff and the first time I'd seen the in depth analysis of not only our team and their performances, but also that of the opposition.

It included targets set by Russell (none of which appear to have been met to date) and differing tactics, depending on the opposition and the state of the game.

Russell was well aware of the situation at the Club before he joined and it was made clear to him from the beginning that mistakes had been made. He seriously believes that there has now bee a cultural change and he will do all he can to speed up the progress of that change. He feels that appointing him Manager rather than First Team Coach is the biggest step and he has full autonomy on the footballing side. He has a great relationship with Nugent which is open and honest. Nugent is definitely not a 'yes man'. He didn't once mention Steve Head.

His first thoughts on joining the Club were that there wasn't a 'oneness' amongst the playing staff. He gave an example of the canteen at the training ground which wasn't being used by the players post session. He felt it was because it was too functional and basic. So he tarted one table up, tablecloth, napkins, cutlery, a couple of newspapers and invited KM over for a coffee. He asked her to pick where she wanted to sit and of course she chose the tarted up table. The point was made and now they're all like that plus some TVs on the wall and all the players now use it post training. Builds a much better team environment.

More later.

Comments

• Were the East Kent Addicks the supporters group invited to the Q&A at the ground recently and whose leader said that protests over the regime were misplaced ?
  • Sounds like Katie in Wonderland at the Mad Hatters Tea Party.
  • Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

Were the East Kent Addicks the supporters group invited to the Q&A at the ground recently and whose leader said that protests over the regime were misplaced ?

Yes.

They are the goody-two shoes group of fans that NightMeire wheels out at any time she cannot use T20. I'm glad some of them are now anti-regime, as this has not been the picture painted at other times.
    I can assure you some of them have been vociferous against the regime from the start.

• edited September 2016
    Addickted said:

Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

Were the East Kent Addicks the supporters group invited to the Q&A at the ground recently and whose leader said that protests over the regime were misplaced ?

Yes.

They are the goody-two shoes group of fans that NightMeire wheels out at any time she cannot use T20. I'm glad some of them are now anti-regime, as this has not been the picture painted at other times.
    I can assure you some of them have been vociferous against the regime from the start.

It's John Commerford who is giving them this reputation. He was exactly the same with Slater and Jimenez, and would be with any owner IMO.
  • Stats said that we had more shots on target against Oldham....
  • I'm sure I remember a similar "table story" around when Powell came in. Something like switching to round tables to make it more sociable.

Little things like that must help but it's so basic and easily missed or forgotten about when you bring in head coaches from another country/culture and sack them every few months.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

Yes.

Maybe so, but as @Airman Brown says, with John Commerford leading the group, this has not been the picture painted.
  • Re. Protests.

"Russell suggested the players would use this as an excuse if they performed badly"

WTF!
  • Oggy Red said:

I think the point was, Slade said the canteen wasn't being used after training was finished - players getting training out of the way and home as soon as possible.

No players wanted to stay and spend time together, no team spirit was nurtured.
    It was yet another symptom of a broken club.

To be fair though, most of the players last year probably couldn't understand each other - or the manager.
  • Addickted said:

John is standing down as Chair of EKA from the New Year.

Has he been recruited by Meire?
  • Off_it said:

Oggy Red said:

I think the point was, Slade said the canteen wasn't being used after training was finished - players getting training out of the way and home as soon as possible.

No players wanted to stay and spend time together, no team spirit was nurtured.
    It was yet another symptom of a broken club.

To be fair though, most of the players last year probably couldn't stand each other - or the manager.
  • 1/"However quite a few were against the protests and felt it was nothing but a hindrance to the team performing".

2/ "Russell himself suggested the players would use this as an excuse if they performed badly".

If both of the above statements were genuinely said that is laughable. There have been games were we have won and played well whilst very large protests have taken place. I am boycotting so can only speak from what I read on here but to my knowledge there have been no protests inside the ground this season?

For Russell to suggest the players will use any of the above as an excuse "if they perform badly" is a dreadful thing to say.

He suggested that players would use any excuse they could to justify a poor performance. Most of them were 'fragile'. He felt it was important that he got some strong characters in the squad to act as leaders and mentors (over and above Jacko and Solly) and feels that's just what the likes of Pearce, Crofts and Foley are there for.

• Taken from a post on Facebook:

Russell Slade on the protests (not verbatim but not far off): "Of course it affects the players; it's a distraction and it can make life more difficult. And you know what? I also think it's almost like giving the players an excuse. They can say to themselves 'How can we be expected to cope with that?' There's no doubt it has an impact. I would be lying if I didn't say that."

Isn't it the manager's job to stop that kind of nonsensical thinking, not promote it? Or is he also getting his lame excuses in early?

Exactly Weegie, looks like Slade is trying to talk himself out of a job here.
  • Sponsored links:

• when i said we must improve so the table looks better,that wasn't what i meant !
    So the chairs are being rearranged as the ship sinks.

I can see that Slade is already wearing his Life jacket under his tracky.
  • I vote @Tutt-Tutt for manager.

Don't be silly - if you haven't played at that level, you've got no chance. you would lose the dressing room in five minutes. players would spot a fraud within minutes (Carol). Football dressing rooms are brutal.

Millwall once appointed their Chief Scout Bob Pearson as acting manager, he lost all six games. The football fraternity was in stitches.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

I vote @Tutt-Tutt for manager.

Don't be silly - if you haven't played at that level, you've got no chance. you would lose the dressing room in five minutes. players would spot a fraud within minutes (Carol). Football dressing rooms are brutal.

Millwall once appointed their Chief Scout Bob Pearson as acting manager, he lost all six games. The football fraternity was in stitches.
    Lennie Lawrence, Jose Mourhino, Arsene Wenger?
  • what level did Brussell himself play at?
  • Addickted said:

John is standing down as Chair of EKA from the New Year.

Has he been recruited by Meire?
    I can see it now....

Tony K -right hand flunkey

John C - left hand flunkey.

What a team !

• Taken from a post on Facebook:

Russell Slade on the protests (not verbatim but not far off): "Of course it affects the players; it's a distraction and it can make life more difficult. And you know what? I also think it's almost like giving the players an excuse. They can say to themselves 'How can we be expected to cope with that?' There's no doubt it has an impact. I would be lying if I didn't say that."

Isn't it the manager's job to stop that kind of nonsensical thinking, not promote it? Or is he also getting his lame excuses in early?

how would he know? He hasn't been here for any protests. Did no-one ask him to explain how our best performances last season actually happened when we protested?
    Exactly. It's just a lame excuse.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

I vote @Tutt-Tutt for manager.

What level did Slade play at? Not that I agree it's a must that you've played at the level you're managing. Trouble with Fraye was he had no managerial pedigree either.