Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2016
    This was my purchase on the way home tonight: Jameson Caskmates and a Guinness that I may give as a gift at Christmas.

I'm going to try and get some Redbreast, and some of the other Jameson specials. I was in The Stags Head last night, and stunned by how many different varieties Jameson do.

I did enjoy a few Bushmills at the hotel though; that was always my dad's favourite tipple, I sometimes think Bushmills was his main source of pride from growing up in Northern Ireland! Not a bad little drink at all though.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'm going to have to check out that TV series on You Tube.
    I vaguely remember being on Islay a couple of years ago and visiting Lagavulin, Bowmore and Laphroaig in one day. That was a good day.
    Stayed in a little hotel in the village of Bowmore where the dinner menu was an A4 sheet of paper and the whisky menu ran to over 50 pages. My kind of place. Cheapest dram was 1.99 and the most expensive in excess of 400 Pounds.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I seem to remember reading in a book by the late great Iain Banks that Scotch Whisky isn't quite the product it's portrayed to be. Something along the lines that back in the early part of 20th century the distillers were forced by American pressure to filter the natural product to remove the oils from the Whisky so that it didn't go cloudy when water was added.

I'm sure someone on CL will know more than I do.
  • Options

I'm going to have to check out that TV series on You Tube.
    I vaguely remember being on Islay a couple of years ago and visiting Lagavulin, Bowmore and Laphroaig in one day. That was a good day.
    Stayed in a little hotel in the village of Bowmore where the dinner menu was an A4 sheet of paper and the whisky menu ran to over 50 pages. My kind of place. Cheapest dram was 1.99 and the most expensive in excess of 400 Pounds.

Pretty sure I stayed there! Had a quality evening, ended up with a ceilidh. We went to the bar next door for one as well. It was the local bar, and like the one from Star Wars. Actually, it was friendly but there were some odd looking people there
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

JIM MURRAY’S 2017 WORLD WHISKIES OF THE YEAR
    1. Booker’s Rye 13 Year Old
    2. Glen Grant 18 Year Old
    3. William Larue Weller Bourbon (Bot.2015)

Another rye whisky wins - Jim Murray really is a man of great taste (and has probably one of the best jobs in the world!!).
    Millwall fan and historian. Regular poster on MillwallOnline (Whisky Lion) and author of the superb book Lions of the South. His job is also tasting steaks around the world and his a big real ale buff too.

• Options

bobmunro said:

JIM MURRAY’S 2017 WORLD WHISKIES OF THE YEAR
    1. Booker’s Rye 13 Year Old
    2. Glen Grant 18 Year Old
    3. William Larue Weller Bourbon (Bot.2015)

Another rye whisky wins - Jim Murray really is a man of great taste (and has probably one of the best jobs in the world!!).
    Millwall fan and historian. Regular poster on MillwallOnline (Whisky Lion) and author of the superb book Lions of the South. His job is also tasting steaks around the world and his a big real ale buff too.

Whisky Lion, liking your style on how you got your username.
  • Options
    Litre of Highland Park Einar expression and a litre of Glen Deveron 16 year old. £70 the pair reduced from £108 at Glasgow Airport World Dury free with a healthy tasting offered before purchase. Not heard of the latter before but it's very nice.
  • Options
    Just got home from a long weekend in Edinburgh. Plenty of decent whisky drunk, and saw this bad boy & had to do a double take on the price!!
  • Options

Just got home from a long weekend in Edinburgh. Plenty of decent whisky drunk, and saw this bad boy & had to do a double take on the price!!

Bloody hell, even the box is a work of art. What would you do with it? You can't drink a £25,000 bottle of booze.. can you?!

I remember hearing about people spending EUR150,000 on an entire cask of Whisky recently and thought that was barmy. But at least you get an entire cask.. seems like a feckin' bargain in comparison!
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Bloody hell, even the box is a work of art. What would you do with it? You can't drink a £25,000 bottle of booze.. can you?!

I remember hearing about people spending EUR150,000 on an entire cask of Whisky recently and thought that was barmy. But at least you get an entire cask.. seems like a feckin' bargain in comparison!
    I'd save a dram for rare, special occassions...such as Charlton winning a cup game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cask isn't such a bad idea. Bruichladdich do one. They store it for 10 years, and the biggest cost isn't the upfront payment, but the duty at bottling time... But you can sell whisky back to the distillery to cover the duty, and keep what's left... Which is loads of bottles. Just got to hope you want loads of a single cask malt, which may well be rotten. Seem to remember a small cask was about 4k all in
  • Options
    anyone know where i can pick up a bottle of jameson 12 yr old off the shelf?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

anyone know where i can pick up a bottle of jameson 12 yr old off the shelf?

In the past I've ordered online from Jameson, bottles of Jameson Distillery Reserve Personalised 12 yr old, and had it within 2 days, and 4 days to down under.

https://shop.jamesonwhiskey.com/products/jameson-distillery-reserve-personalised
  • Options
    cheers @guinnessaddick i know i can get it in ireland pretty easily but heading over on the 29th and its for the girlfreinds dad and im straight on a coach from airport to her house and its pretty remote,does anyone know if it would be available from gatwick south terminal?.
  • Options
    @guinnessaddick last posting date for jameson to uk was today so thanks for that. ordered a personalised bottle with delivery for £67.08 could only find it online for £66.99 and that wasnt personalised.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

LuckyReds said:

I'd save a dram for rare, special occassions...such as Charlton winning a cup game.
    definitely for sipping slowly. :)

• Options
    Got these to sample.
  • Options

Got these to sample.

Enjoy!

The caskmates is beautiful. I was hoping to nab some more from work before Christmas, I sank far too much over dinner with a mate on a Saturday evening.
  • Options
    Distillers edition Caol Ila for my folks. Think I might invite myself round
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a nice dram of whisky yesterday ...
  • Options
    skywalker said:

Had a nice dram of whisky yesterday ...

Sauternes casked... must have had a very delightful sweet note to the spirit!
  • Options
    just been given a bottle of blue label johnnie walker from a client happy days
  • Options

just been given a bottle of blue label johnnie walker from a client happy days

you have a client who likes you a lot then @palarsehater
  • Options
    the box is fucking class
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

In return I've been given a litre of Bell's. Oh well, I don't mind the odd blend and sometimes I like to mix it or have it on the rocks. Not a bad result!
  • Options
    Had a dram of this the other night .... What a shame you can't find it anymore ...
  • Options
    Merry Christmas Whisky lovers.

I have been given a bottle of Smokey Black Grouse for Christmas. It's a very passable dram. :)
  • Options
    Merry Christmas to all!

Enjoying my present from my brother, a nice bottle of Jura Prophecy!
  • Options
    Got a nice Laphroaig from my son.