Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whisky

Comments

• Worth remembering that whisky doesn't mature/improve in the bottle like wine does.

Poor @Stuart the Red !

But, does it actually deteriorate, especially an opened bottle?

Worth remembering that whisky doesn't mature/improve in the bottle like wine does.

Poor @Stuart the Red !

But, does it actually deteriorate, especially an opened bottle?
    No chance of that happening with mine! They don't last long enough. All my mates and my Dad enjoy a good whisky as do I!
  • Anyone going through duty free, it's worth a detour to the World of Whisky (I think it's called) concession as they have interesting bottles on taste and the prices are good if you need to stock up.
  • Damn! I've just seen that my local supermarket is doing a 'Whisky Festival'! I'd better go and see what they are offering :o).
  • I do like Jameson select reserve. I usually ordered a personalised bottle for the birth of any relatives, very good service, 4 days to Melbourne.

Looking forward to trying Leitrim whiskey when it matures in th next couple of years. The Shed distillery has won many awards for its Drumshando Gunpowder Gin and has me on the waiting list for a bottle.

Get the order in for some Mitchell's Green Spot or Irish distiller red Breast. Both great pot stills
    Mrkinski said:

I do like RedBreast (ooer missus) - I know it's a Jameson but at around £50 a bottle, it's as much as I will spend, and it's the best tasting whiskey I've had.

Mitchell's also do a yellow spot which is matured in old Masala casks. Pricey but worth every penny. Agree about red-breast which like
    Green Spot and yellow spot is an Irish pot still.
  • Damn! I've just seen that my local supermarket is doing a 'Whisky Festival'! I'd better go and see what they are offering :o).

Is this what you meant?
  • Feckin love Jamiesons
  • Watched episode 1 the other night. Dare anyone to watch for 5 minutes without an overpowering urge to grab a bottle and pour enough to last the hour. I've done the Springbank tour and could smell the stuff while watching it again.
  • We are off to Cornwall in the morning for a weeks break. Whilst I love my wife dearly there are two things I must make sure are in the car before I pull away.

1/ Nespresso coffee machine

2/ At least two of my favorite single malts

3/ The wife
  • Sponsored links:

• In the USA at the moment. Bought a. Title of "Old Forester". Not really my thing but it seems to be evaporating.
  • This may be of interest. (Scotch! the story of whisky)

It's a three part series on BBC 2 Scotland. Each episode is about an hour long. Can be followed on demand, youtube or here on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07zk5cx/episodes/player

Caught up with this last night. Excellent programme. Really looking forward to the Islay episode next week.
  • JIM MURRAY’S 2017 WORLD WHISKIES OF THE YEAR
    1. Booker’s Rye 13 Year Old
    2. Glen Grant 18 Year Old
    3. William Larue Weller Bourbon (Bot.2015)

THE FULL WINNERS LIST

SCOTCH WHISKY

Scotch Whisky of the Year
    Glen Grant 18 Year Old
    Single Malt of the Year (Multiple Casks)
    Glen Grant 18 Year Old
    Single Malt of the Year (Single Cask)
    That Boutique-y Whisky Co Macallan 25 Year Old Batch 5
    Scotch Blend of the Year
    The Last Drop 1971
    Scotch Grain of the Year
    Whiskyjace Invergordon 24 Year Old
    Scotch Vatted Malt of the Year
    Compass Box Flaming Heart 2015 Edition

SINGLE MALT SCOTCH

No Age Statement (Multiple Casks)
    Glenlivet Cipher
    No Age Statement (Runner Up)
    Port Askaig 100 Proof
    10 Years & Under (Multiple Casks)
    Glen Grant 10 Year Old
    10 Years & Under (Single Cask)
    Kilchoman Guze Cask Finish
    11-15 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Lagavulin 12 Year Old
    11-15 Years (Single Cask)
    The Single Cask Glentauchers 2002 14 Year Old
    16-21 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Glen Grant 18 Year Old
    16-21 Years (Single Cask)
    Scyfion Choice Mortlach 1996 19 Year Old (Berry Bros & Rudd)
    22-27 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Dalwhinnie 1989 25 Year Old Special Releases 2015
    22-27 Years (Single Cask)
    The Boutique-y Co Macallan 25 Year Old Batch 5
    28-34 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Port Ellen 1983 32 Year Old Special Releases 2015
    28-34 Years (Single Cask)
    Cadenhead Caol Ila 31 Year Old
    35-40 Years (Multiple Casks)
    Brora 37 Year Old Special Releases 2015
    35-40 Years (Single Cask)
    Cadenhead Glentauchers 38 Year Old
    41 Years & Over (Multiple Casks)
    Gordon & MacPhail Glen Grant 1952
    41 Years & Over (Single Cask)
    Gordon & MacPhail Glen Grant 1950 65 Year Old

BLENDED SCOTCH

No Age Statement (Standard)
    Ballantine’s Finest
    No Age Statement (Premium)
    Ballantine’s Limited
    5-12 Years
    Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 Year Old
    13-18 Years
    Chivas Regal 18 Year Old Ultimate Cask Collection First Fill American Oak
    19 – 25 Years
    Royal Salute 21 Year Old
    26 – 50 Years
    The Last Drop 1971

IRISH WHISKEY

Irish Whiskey of the Year
    Redbreast 21 Year Old
    Irish Pot Still Whiskey of the Year
    Redbreast 21 Year Old
    Irish Single Malt of the Year
    Bushmills 21 Year Old
    Irish Blend of the Year
    Jameson
    Irish Single Cask of the Year
    Teeling Single White Burgundy Cask 2004

AMERICAN WHISKEY

Bourbon of the Year
    William Larue Weller 2015 Release
    Rye of the Year
    Booker’s Rye 13 Year Old
    US Micro Whisky of the Year
    Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon 2009
    US Micro Whisky of the Year (Runner Up)
    Koval Four Grain

BOURBON

No Age Statement (Multiple Barrels)
    William Larue Weller 2015 Release
    No Age Statement (Single Barrel)
    1792 Single Barrrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon
    9 Years & Under
    Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon 2009
    10 Years & Over (Multiple Barrels)
    Blade & Bow 22 Year Old

RYE

No Age Statement
    Thomas H Handy 2015 Release
    Up to 10 Years
    Pikesville 110 Proof 6 Year Old Straight Rye
    11 Years & Over
    Booker’s Rye 13 Year Old

WHEAT

Wheat Whiskey of the Year
    Bernheim Original

CANADIAN WHISKY

Canadian Whisky of the Year
    Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye

JAPANESE WHISKY

Japanese Whisky of the Year
    Yamazaki Sherry Cask 2016 Release
    Single Malt of the Year (Multiple Barrels)
    Yamazaki Sherry Cask 2016 Release

EUROPEAN WHISKY

European Whisky of the Year (Multiple)
    English Whisky Co. Chapter 14 Not Peated
    European Whisky of the Year (Single)
    Langatun 6 year Old Pinot Noir Cask

WORLD WHISKIES

Asian Whisky of the Year
    Kavalan Solist Moscatel
    Southern Hemisphere Whisky of the Year
    Heartwood Any Port in a Storm

I can't say I've tried many of these!
  • My opinion for what it is worth

Glenmorangie is a winner and dimple a notable second place

Single malt is where it's at and as an aside I have sampled a delightful Japanese single malt that if given a second taste I would say it could run Glenmorangie close and if I could understand Japanese I would share it with you all. The bottle looks nice and it has a red and black label is the best I can do
  • Dont think I've ever tried glen grant. Seems I'll need to.
  • Bruichladdich distillery was saved from extinction by a bloke who was at school with me. It's a nice drop too, but my preference is for Glenmorangie.
  • I really don't really care for the iodine taste of Islay whisky.

However, I have managed to finish several bottles in a quest to to 'acquire' the taste. (I may need several more).
  • I really don't really care for the iodine taste of Islay whisky.

However, I have managed to finish several bottles in a quest to to 'acquire' the taste. (I may need several more).

Johnnie Walker Double Black is a nice compromise - a very drinkable blend using some Islay malts
  • A couple of friends and I sat down at the weekend for a chat and a few scotches. We ended up opening and finishing an entire bottle of Highland Park.
  • JIM MURRAY’S 2017 WORLD WHISKIES OF THE YEAR
    1. Booker’s Rye 13 Year Old
    2. Glen Grant 18 Year Old
    3. William Larue Weller Bourbon (Bot.2015)

Another rye whisky wins - Jim Murray really is a man of great taste (and has probably one of the best jobs in the world!!).
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

A couple of friends and I sat down at the weekend for a chat and a few scotches. We ended up opening and finishing an entire bottle of Highland Park.

Easily done mate.
  • edited November 2016
    For those who are partial to a rich sherried malt, Waitrose have Arberlour A'Bundah on offer at £35.00 a bottle. Already have a couple of these opened at the moment. Very nice dram.
  • Fiiish said:

A couple of friends and I sat down at the weekend for a chat and a few scotches. We ended up opening and finishing an entire bottle of Highland Park.

What just the one ? ...... between 3 of you ???? What else were you drinking ?
  • Just bought myself a bottle of 16yo lagavulin from duty free. I fear for its safety.
  • McBobbin said:

Just bought myself a bottle of 16yo lagavulin from duty free. I fear for its safety.

My Favourite Islay malt :)
  • This thread has made me realise that I've probably not had a whisky for over 10 years.
  • McBobbin said:

Just bought myself a bottle of 16yo lagavulin from duty free. I fear for its safety.

My Favourite Islay malt :)
    £33 + vat in Costco currently
  • Sheep Dip anyone ?

After a few whiskies I can definitely drop my standards, yes.
  • Having a tasting of these fine beauties.
  • edited November 2016

I do like Jameson select reserve. I usually ordered a personalised bottle for the birth of any relatives, very good service, 4 days to Melbourne.

Looking forward to trying Leitrim whiskey when it matures in th next couple of years. The Shed distillery has won many awards for its Drumshando Gunpowder Gin and has me on the waiting list for a bottle.

Have you tried the Jameson Caskmates, or Redbreast? The caskmates is some lovely stuff.

I'm currently contracting for the holding company - Pernod Ricard - hence the Dublin visits to their Irish Distillers. Had a cracking time with the Jameson guys this week, including a fair few drinks. (Helped by the fact they're only allowed to expense drinks that belong to the brand!)

Technically I'll be working with the Ballentines brand, and Chivas to a lesser extent, so I'll be sure to sample some of their delights. I think there's a workshop next week that involves a fair amount of sampling the goods! It's been interesting for me, as although I've liked a casual whiskey, I've never known a great deal about the drink.

Edit: Caught up with the thread and I see it was you who originally brought the Caskmates up!