Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options

I do like Jameson select reserve. I usually ordered a personalised bottle for the birth of any relatives, very good service, 4 days to Melbourne.

Looking forward to trying Leitrim whiskey when it matures in th next couple of years. The Shed distillery has won many awards for its Drumshando Gunpowder Gin and has me on the waiting list for a bottle.

Guinness/Whiskey ... Anything else?!

Get help, mate. :-)
  • Options
    Whisky should be drank and not collected. Don't be that guy who saves a couple of inches in each bottle.

What I am drinking at the moment.

Octomore 4.1
    Bowmore 17
    (ri)1 Rye

• Options

I do like Jameson select reserve. I usually ordered a personalised bottle for the birth of any relatives, very good service, 4 days to Melbourne.

Looking forward to trying Leitrim whiskey when it matures in th next couple of years. The Shed distillery has won many awards for its Drumshando Gunpowder Gin and has me on the waiting list for a bottle.

Guinness/Whiskey ... Anything else?!

Get help, mate. :-)
    If only you knew.
  • Options
    Whisky, the new train spotting...
  • Options

Whiskey

Belgian?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    £165 on Amazon - if you really want something special

or
    Yamazaki Single Malt 12 Years Old
    £40-£45 Waitrose/Bargain Booze (well my local one anyway) etc
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Scottish whisky has to be matured in old barrels, whereas a lot of bourbons have to be in new barrels. The Scottish distilleries will ship new casks over to the us to be used under lease, and then ship them back for use!

Is that correct? I was under the impression that our oak was just not as good for barrel production as American White Oak which has different characteristics. Also we just no longer have the available trees any more. According to this explanation even most french barrels are made from American wood. https://bruichladdich.com/article/what-kind-oak-used-in-our-whisky-casks
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

McBobbin said:

Scottish whisky has to be matured in old barrels, whereas a lot of bourbons have to be in new barrels. The Scottish distilleries will ship new casks over to the us to be used under lease, and then ship them back for use!

Is that correct? I was under the impression that our oak was just not as good for barrel production as American White Oak which has different characteristics. Also we just no longer have the available trees any more. According to this explanation even most french barrels are made from American wood. https://bruichladdich.com/article/what-kind-oak-used-in-our-whisky-casks
    Ah yes. This is from the wiki page on malt whisky

Reused casks
    The selection of casks can affect the character of the final whisky. Outside of the United States, the most common practice is to reuse casks that previously contained American whiskey, as US law requires several types of distilled spirits to be aged in new oak casks. To ensure continuity of supply of used oak casks some Scottish distilling groups own oak forests in the US and rent the new barrels to bourbon producers for first fill use. Bourbon casks impart a characteristic vanilla flavour to the whisky.

Sherry casks are also commonly used. This practice arose because sherry used to be shipped to Britain from Spain in the cask rather than having been bottled, and the casks were expensive to return empty and were unwanted by the sherry cellars. In addition to imparting the flavours of their former contents, sherry casks lend maturing spirit a heavier body and a deep amber and sometimes reddish colour. Stainless steel shipping containers, however, have reduced the supply of wooden sherry casks, to the extent that the Macallan Distillery builds casks and leases them to the sherry cellars in Spain for a time, then has them shipped back to Scotland.

Other casks used include those that formerly held port wine, madeira, rum or cognac.
  • Options
    Loving this thread
  • Options
    Off to the states in a couple of weeks so will be teaching myself to drink bourbon. Not previously been all that keen but it would be rude not to try.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

£165 on Amazon - if you really want something special

or
    Yamazaki Single Malt 12 Years Old
    £40-£45 Waitrose/Bargain Booze (well my local one anyway) etc

I have yet to try any Japanese Whiskey but it gets good reviews.
  • Options
    My brother bought me a bottle of Japanese whisky a few years ago - Nikka, I think it was called. Absolutely gorgeous.

My favourites are probably Laphroaig and Lagavulin though.
    My dad occasionally buys me a bottle of Talisker, which I can't stand. Can never find the right way to tell him that though :neutral:
  • Options
    I'm not a massive fan, dangerous stuff, but a mate introduced me to Laphroaig and I like it.

Now I don't brush my teeth with anything else.
  • Options
    Just sipping some Glenmorangie!

Like malts and blends and do like to try varieties I have never tasted ...... but the stuff is so expensive and I don't know where to start in terms of less well known makes.

So two questions;

(1) Where has good range (beyond the more popular brands ) at reasonable prices?

(2) Can anyone recommend a whiskey guide?
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Just sipping some Glenmorangie!

Like malts and blends and do like to try varieties I have never tasted ...... but the stuff is so expensive and I don't know where to start in terms of less well known makes.

So two questions;

(1) Where has good range (beyond the more popular brands ) at reasonable prices?

Whisky

PS
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/10430685/Thinking-Drinkers-a-beginners-guide-to-single-malt-whisky.html
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    IAgree said:

The Jim Murray Whisky bible or the Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion

• Options

IAgree said:

Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion

Bubbles?
  • Options
    Tesco actually has a decent range with good prices. Can always try royal mile whiskies near Tottenham court road, but it's expensive
  • Options

IAgree said:

The Jim Murray Whisky bible or the Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion

I'll second Jim Murray
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Ok.
    This is what I have open at the moment. (working through them slowly)
    Aberlour 10yo
    Aberlour A'Bundah batch 41 59%
    Aberlour A'Bundah batch 52 60.5%
    Dalmore 12yo
    Dalmore 15yo
    Dalwhinnie 15yo
    Glengoyne 14yo
    Glenkinchie 10yo
    Glenlivet 18yo
    Glenmorangie 10yo
    Glenrothes 1998 10yo
    Laphroaig 10yo
    Old Poultney 21yo
    Rosebank 14yo (sipping VERY slowly)
    and a bottle of famous grouse for visitors :wink:

Which one I drink depends on my mood. If I want something light and gentle it'll be a Dalwhinnie, Glengoyne or Rosebank. If I want something to fight with it'll be a Laphroaig. If the mood is for something sweeter it'll be Aberlour or Dalmore.

I generally only take water with the cask strength Aberlours, they can be a bit fierce at 60%

I've been to a few tasting evenings which are great for discovering Whiskies you'd not usually find in your average bar. The also give the chance to sample things I couldn't dream of Buying. @eaststandmike - your earlier link hasn't passed my lips yet but I live in hope :)

For the peat heads out there if you ever hear of an Ardbeg tasting evening snap up a ticket, they're thoroughly recommended.

I might put the unopened stache on this thread later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Methy
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Off to the states in a couple of weeks so will be teaching myself to drink bourbon. Not previously been all that keen but it would be rude not to try.

Don't forget to try some rye whiskey - Whistlepig Straight Rye, Sazerac 18 year old - both very good, and Rittenhouse 25 year old (spectacularly good).
  • Options
    Any Tullamore Dew drinkers ?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Tesco actually has a decent range with good prices. Can always try royal mile whiskies near Tottenham court road, but it's expensive

you can pick up the odd bargain in supermarkets, My A'Bundahs came from Waitrose for about £45
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

It seems there are a few fans of Scotlands biggest export on CL

Tony Watt?

In seriousness I'm in the middle of moving house and the 'collections' thread coincided with me moving 5 boxes all labelled 'Whisky' into the mancave. I'm building a cabinet for it this week and will be unpacking it all into it so I'll post up my collection soon.

My favourites off the top of my head - Lagavulin 16yo, Jura Superstition, Glenfarclas 10yo, Highland Park 12yo.

I'm also into my blends and bourbons though.
    Highland Park was my lovely Dad's favourite. I can't stand the smell/taste of whiskey. The Islay ones taste like a can of beer at a party which people have used as an ashtray (a friend told me).
  • Options

Fiiish said:

It seems there are a few fans of Scotlands biggest export on CL

Tony Watt?

In seriousness I'm in the middle of moving house and the 'collections' thread coincided with me moving 5 boxes all labelled 'Whisky' into the mancave. I'm building a cabinet for it this week and will be unpacking it all into it so I'll post up my collection soon.

My favourites off the top of my head - Lagavulin 16yo, Jura Superstition, Glenfarclas 10yo, Highland Park 12yo.

I'm also into my blends and bourbons though.
    Highland Park was my lovely Dad's favourite. I can't stand the smell/taste of whiskey. The Islay ones taste like a can of beer at a party which people have used as an ashtray (a friend told me).
    Drinking a Laphroaig as I am reading this and am only getting seaweed and peat.

Islay whiskies are the Lord's way of saying he loves us and wants us to be happy.

• Options
    Blimey never heard of half of these :smile: Normally drink Black Bush or Writers Tears on the Scottish side i like Oban single malt
  • Options

Blimey never heard of half of these :smile: Normally drink Black Bush or Writers Tears on the Scottish side i like Oban single malt

@TelMc32 do you remember the night I asked the blonde barmaid if she had a black bush?
    The one where the landlady heard you and was less than impressed!! She was a Charlton fan too (not Mary of the Black Bush), Jackie the landlady!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Don't forget to try some rye whiskey - Whistlepig Straight Rye, Sazerac 18 year old - both very good, and Rittenhouse 25 year old (spectacularly good).
    Cheers for the tip Bob. We have a night in Monument Valley which is dry so will have to make sure we buy a bottle along the way to take with us to watch the sun go down to. Will look out for those you mention.