Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Whisky

Comments

• Only available in Ireland to start with, strict instructions in with family to obtain a few bottles.
  • Only available in Ireland to start with, strict instructions in with family to obtain a few bottles.

Released today, a couple of bottles on their way to me. At 80 euros a bottle, that's my birthday present sorted.

• I think I may be having a dram or two this evening.
    Good man, and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

I opened a bottle of David Beckham's "Haig Club" that I have been putting off due to not fancying it, it was a gift. However it is very drinkable.
    Good man, and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

I opened a bottle of David Beckham's "Haig Club" that I have been putting off due to not fancying it, it was a gift. However it is very drinkable.
    And happy new year to you and yours.

I might get into a Glenrothes I got for Christmas.
  • edited January 2020
    Thanks to Mrs SB, I have over the last two christmases discovered the joy of the Glengoyne distillery. My tastes in whisky have gradually changed in recent years from a preference for heavily peated Islay malts to softer numbers from the mainland.  Glengoyne is just north of Glasgow near Loch Lomond. Their entry level 10 year old is lovely. Their 12 year old (available for a limited time on Amazon for 28 quid) is heavenly. Their 18 year old is divine. 
  • Thanks to Mrs SB, I have over the last two christmases discovered the joy of the Glengoyne distillery. My tastes in whisky have gradually changed in recent years from a preference for heavily peated Islay malts to softer numbers from the mainland.  Glengoyne is just north of Glasgow near Loch Lomond. Their entry level 10 year old is lovely. Their 12 year old (available for a limited time on Amazon for 28 quid) is heavenly. Their 18 year old is divine. 
    Just about to finish a 12yo Glengoyne, very nice indeed. Its a limited and changeable stock over here, usually grab a Highland Park but saw they had Glengoyne for the first time in years, nice change too.

• Got this sent to me from a mate in Ireland. Going to save it until I find a new job, he said it’s got a phoenix on it, symbolism for a new start. 
  • I'm just the messenger  :#

• I'm just the messenger  :#

I'm not going to shoot the messenger.

If you're a whisky drinker (as I am) it is wrong to think it has to be Scotch. American, Japanese, Indian, and now German - nowt wrong with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    I'm just the messenger  :#

I'm not going to shoot the messenger.

If you're a whisky drinker (as I am) it is wrong to think it has to be Scotch. American, Japanese, Indian, and now German - nowt wrong with that.
    100%, my single malt collection contains more than scottish whiskies. 
  • Got this through work today, interesting dram
  • Anyone got any recommendations for a beginner as a bit of a starter/introductory whisky? 
  • Anyone got any recommendations for a beginner as a bit of a starter/introductory whisky? 
    @cafc_harry
    Do you want a cheap-ish whisky to drink with lemonade, soda water, ginger ale, etc?  If so, Famous Grouse or Bells are a fair bet.

If you're after more expensive, sipping whisky, Glenmorangie or Glenlivet are widely available, often on special offer, and both very good places to start.  The only single malt I'd steer you away from is Glenfiddich, I think it's poor and only sells so well because of its advertising budget.

Green Spot is a very nice Irish whiskey.  Not cheap but look around and you should be able to get it for about £33.

I'm not that much of a fan of American whiskey, I think it's poor value compared to Scotch at the same price point.

Welsh, Japanese, English, etc. malts have been getting good reviews for a long time but I've not taken any interest them myself so couldn't comment.
  • Yesterday I had an Aberfeldy 12 year old with my coffee and cake at The Moustache on the corner of Dartmouth Road and Kirkdale. A new malt for me and I was very impressed.
  • I've recently been gifted the Aberlour 12 year old from work, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Probably a decent introduction as it happens @cafc_harry

Talking of Glenfiddich, I like them because they are independent and not part of the Diageo group. Their Solero Reserve is very good, though I'm not too fussed about the standard 10 year old
  • Yesterday I had an Aberfeldy 12 year old with my coffee and cake at The Moustache on the corner of Dartmouth Road and Kirkdale. A new malt for me and I was very impressed.
    I used to think a nice bit of Dundee cake and a whisky was a match made in heaven.
  • McBobbin said:
    I've recently been gifted the Aberlour 12 year old from work, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Probably a decent introduction as it happens @cafc_harry

Talking of Glenfiddich, I like them because they are independent and not part of the Diageo group. Their Solero Reserve is very good, though I'm not too fussed about the standard 10 year old
    Abelour is a perfect beginner's whisky - not smoky at all and quite sweet. That goes for most of the Speysides - Glen Grant is another example of a entry level.
    For an introduction to Islays' smoke and peat then Bowmore is not too peaty - avoid things like Laphroaig or Tallisker, they could put you off whisky for life!! 
    Dalmore is also a good next level introduction although a little pricey - they don't get much better to be honest and easily my favourite distillery. Fantastic with Christmas cake (or Dundee cake as Raith says), or a fine cigar. Some of their more expensive ones, King Alexander, Castle Loed are two examples, the former is spectacular.  

• Thanks everyone, will have a little look around. 
  • bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    I've recently been gifted the Aberlour 12 year old from work, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Probably a decent introduction as it happens @cafc_harry

Abelour is a perfect beginner's whisky - not smoky at all and quite sweet. That goes for most of the Speysides - Glen Grant is another example of a entry level.
    For an introduction to Islays' smoke and peat then Bowmore is not too peaty - avoid things like Laphroaig or Tallisker, they could put you off whisky for life!! 
    Dalmore is also a good next level introduction although a little pricey - they don't get much better to be honest and easily my favourite distillery. Fantastic with Christmas cake (or Dundee cake as Raith says), or a fine cigar. Some of their more expensive ones, King Alexander, Castle Loed are two examples, the former is spectacular.  

I am not a whiskey drinker, the only three I have tried that I can tolerate are Laphroaig, Talisker and Old Poultney. Talisker 57 is the best I have tasted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Salad said:
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:

I am not a whiskey drinker, the only three I have tried that I can tolerate are Laphroaig, Talisker and Old Poultney. Talisker 57 is the best I have tasted.
    Yes, some prefer the peat monsters and would never touch a Speyside or Highland. Others, like me, avoid them.

Such is the complexity and variations of the King of spirits.
  • My buyers guide to whisky is "if in doubt, buy Highland Park". If you know they like Speyside, then Longmorn is a good connoisseur's choice, and some excellent peaty monsters for those that like them - some good Ardbegs and the Laphroaig quarter cask is excellent value. But if you don't know what they like, or you like, then Highland Park has a bit of everything. It's from Orkney Sonja's some island character, not too smokey though and not too harsh.
  • The auchentoshans are an excellent place to start. The American oak is often 20 quid a bottle on Amazon and a really easy drinker, but with some depth of flavour. Their 12 year old is an ideal step up too.

On the glengoyne posts above, try to get to their distillery when it all settles down, so convenient for Glasgow, but in a stunning setting. 
  • Thanks everyone, will have a little look around. 
    One more for you. If you like your whiskey with an ‘e’ then a very easy on the palate choice would be Redbreast 12 year old.
  • Salad said:
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:

Does anyone know if the Scots get upset at Scotch being called whiskey instead of whisky?
    @cafc_harry
    Do you want a cheap-ish whisky to drink with lemonade, soda water, ginger ale, etc?  If so, Famous Grouse or Bells are a fair bet.

If you're after more expensive, sipping whisky, Glenmorangie or Glenlivet are widely available, often on special offer, and both very good places to start.  The only single malt I'd steer you away from is Glenfiddich, I think it's poor and only sells so well because of its advertising budget.

Green Spot is a very nice Irish whiskey.  Not cheap but look around and you should be able to get it for about £33.

I'm not that much of a fan of American whiskey, I think it's poor value compared to Scotch at the same price point.

Welsh, Japanese, English, etc. malts have been getting good reviews for a long time but I've not taken any interest them myself so couldn't comment.
    Im the opposite, love glenfiddich, ansolutely cannot drink livet or morangie! Its awful 😖 to me. 
  • 2121 said:
    Anyone got any recommendations for a beginner as a bit of a starter/introductory whisky? 
    @cafc_harry

Im the opposite, love glenfiddich, ansolutely cannot drink livet or morangie! Its awful 😖 to me. 
    Opposite for me Jaimesons and Glenfiddich have an aftertaste of cleaning fluid really nasty 

Glenmorangie I love
  • Salad said:
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:

Does anyone know if the Scots get upset at Scotch being called whiskey instead of whisky?

No we don't (I claim my ancestry when required!!). We get more pissed off being called Scotch rather than Scottish.
  • Salad said:
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:

Ifnyou like those, then you should definitely try a Caol Ila!
    @guinnessaddick how was this? I love their gin.