Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    Just bought this as an early birthday present to myself - not bad at all.

• Options
    EastStand said:

Tartan blanket? Eaststand by name, eaststand by nature :)

(That is a fine drop, agreed)
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

EastStand said:

Tartan blanket? Eaststand by name, eaststand by nature :)

(That is a fine drop, agreed)
    REPRESENT
  • Options

I have just cracked open a 12 year old 'Old Pulteney" Single Malt. Very surprised by it and very drinkable. It was a gift and would not have been on my radar if buying for myself but it is now.

I recently 'rediscovered' Old P. and I must agree with you!

The 21 year old is superb
    Most 21 year olds are these days. Or at least they seem to be.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever bought or sold whisky though an auction? I'm considering cashing in on a few bottles from my cupboard and would be interested in your experiences.
  • Options
    usually buy quite a few clients at works bottles, cheapish stuff around 40 bottles at xmas, usually get it from a company in italy but they have stopped doing spirits any tips where the cheapest place to pick some up is?. preferably with delivery.
  • Options
    Not actually a Whiskey but a Grain Spirit and made in Chatham - "Son of a Gun" is acer than an ace thing https://www.copperrivetdistillery.com/
  • Options
    edited November 2018

usually buy quite a few clients at works bottles, cheapish stuff around 40 bottles at xmas, usually get it from a company in italy but they have stopped doing spirits any tips where the cheapest place to pick some up is?. preferably with delivery.

It depends what you are looking to spend and offer your clients, if you gave me a bottle of cheap Italian Whiskey for an Xmas gift you would not be a supplier to me in the New Year!!

Most of what we discuss on this thread is Single Malt Whiskey which can start at around £30- £35 a bottle and top out in the hundreds of thousands for an antique/collectors item. If you want to spend £30-£40 on your clients you may as well buy it from a supermarket as they all stock the cheaper single malts and you could probably order by the case.

• Options
    edited November 2018

It depends what you are looking to spend and offer your clients, if you gave me a bottle of cheap Italian Whiskey for an Xmas gift you would not be a supplier to me in the New Year!!

Most of what we discuss on this thread is Single Malt Whiskey which can start at around £30- £35 a bottle and top out in the hundreds of thousands for an antique/collectors item. If you want to spend £30-£40 on your clients you may as well buy it from a supermarket as they all stock the cheaper single malts and you could probably order by the case.

thanks mike i do know what whisky is am currently finishing off last years gift of a jw blue label.

when i say clients i mean tradesmen as we are a trade counter last year we got jw red label and talisker for v cheap prices. ( the company in italy just imported to uk for cheap prices, would imagine they have stopped due to the event that must not be named ha )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    On holiday in Cuba, I fancied a Southern Comfort one evening. The bartender said Southern Comfort was hard to get in Cuba (It being American) but he could make me one. He mixed me a drink that tasted just like it! Maybe not exactly, it tasted slightly better to be honest! He said he would tell me how he did it later, but I didn't get a chance to ask him. I know Southern Comfort is a Whiskey based liqueur so I suppose it was what they use to make it. Anybody got any ideas how he might have made it? I know one ingredient was bourbon of course! Or was it Whiskey?
  • Options
    Last Friday we went to the annual Whisky Life festival in Prague, a chaotic event run by the famous Czech Society for Making Simple Things Complicated (a very big society..) Anyway, we had an agreed favourite, a distillery I'd never heard of called Tomintoul, and we enjoyed this one, "Peaty Tang". Looks like you can pick it up for about £30 in the UK. We tried it quite late on and it made more of an impact than other more expensive drams we had tried earlier

Last month at Heathrow I picked up a bottle of Glen Grant Rothes Chronicles. It is a very smooth classic Speyside malt with an attractive pale honey colour. £45..if you are more into island malts you might find it a bit bland, but I guess that's true of all Speyside malts.
  • Options

On holiday in Cuba, I fancied a Southern Comfort one evening. The bartender said Southern Comfort was hard to get in Cuba (It being American) but he could make me one. He mixed me a drink that tasted just like it! Maybe not exactly, it tasted slightly better to be honest! He said he would tell me how he did it later, but I didn't get a chance to ask him. I know Southern Comfort is a Whiskey based liqueur so I suppose it was what they use to make it. Anybody got any ideas how he might have made it? I know one ingredient was bourbon of course! Or was it Whiskey?

Perhaps he added the letter e to the word whisky.
  • Options
    I thought you have to add an e if it is not of the Scottish variety :)
  • Options

The spelling of whisky, or whiskey, differs geographically. As a rule, American and Irish prefer ‘whiskey’ and the Scots, Canadians and the rest of the world’s single malt makers prefer ‘whisky’. This originated during the 19th century. For in around 1870, Scotch whisky was of very low quality, much of it being distilled poorly in Coffey stills. For exportation to America, the Irish distillers wanted to differentiate their product from the poorer Scotch whisky, thus they added the ‘e’ to mark the crucial distinction. Today, Scotch whisky has become one of the world’s greatest spirits, but the spelling still differs. En mass, Americans still spell their spirit with an ‘e’, though legally it is spelt ‘whisky’. A few distillers, Maker’s Mark and George Dickel for example, prefer the Scottish spelling, this is to be attributed to their Scottish ancestry.
  • Options

The spelling of whisky, or whiskey, differs geographically. As a rule, American and Irish prefer ‘whiskey’ and the Scots, Canadians and the rest of the world’s single malt makers prefer ‘whisky’. This originated during the 19th century. For in around 1870, Scotch whisky was of very low quality, much of it being distilled poorly in Coffey stills. For exportation to America, the Irish distillers wanted to differentiate their product from the poorer Scotch whisky, thus they added the ‘e’ to mark the crucial distinction. Today, Scotch whisky has become one of the world’s greatest spirits, but the spelling still differs. En mass, Americans still spell their spirit with an ‘e’, though legally it is spelt ‘whisky’. A few distillers, Maker’s Mark and George Dickel for example, prefer the Scottish spelling, this is to be attributed to their Scottish ancestry.
    This is why I never argue with you on the Brexit thread.
    You have more knowledge than I will ever have. 😁
  • Options
    I’m thinking of buying myself a bottle of Japanese whisky for Christmas. Looks pricey though.

Worth the extra cost and if so what would CL whiskey posters recommend? Thanks.
  • Options

I’m thinking of buying myself a bottle of Japanese whisky for Christmas. Looks pricey though.

I've always shunned Japanese whisky for no reason other than being a "real whisky comes from Scotland " snob. But I have to say that some of the reviews on some Japanese distilleries are really good. As you say, they look a little on the expensive side but not that much more than a good quality Scottish single malt.

Plenty to look at here:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/brands/worldwhisky/35/japanese-whisky
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Suntory Yamazaki is probably the best known. It won gold in 2003 at the International Spirits Challenge (a big deal). Not the cheapest but if you fancy seeing what the fuss is about I'd start there.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yamazaki/the-yamazaki-single-malt-whisky-distillers-reserve-whisky/?recommended_by=43528
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I also try to stick to Scottish Whisky . Have appreciated Penderyn (Welsh) and a couple of Irish ones … but for the price of a decent Japanese whisky, I'll have almost 2 very good Scottish ones . If ever you come across this Swedish beauty … don't hesitate because it's liquid bliss . This edition was finished in Sauternes barrels , but is sold out now … Half a bottle remains here, and then gone forever .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Oggy Red said:

Talisker is a decent drop, I reckon.

@March51 was obsessed with Talisker. When he was in hospital and refusing to eat, the only thing he wanted was Talisker. So I sneaked some in. We'd dip a cotton bud in it and he'd rub it onto his gums! I've never seen such unbridled joy as my dad sucking on a cotton bud of Talisker.

We later scattered his ashes at the distillery in Skye. I finally tried some after a tour and... holy fuck it was way too strong for me!
    Great story March, if I could have liked and loled it I would have done.
  • Options
    Talisker is mighty fine
  • Options

If you found a bottle sealed, would you hand it in? Try a bit, then give it in? What bottle?
  • Options

I loved the Hibiki 12 which was easy to get around 6 years ago for about £50. Now they do a non age stated 'tribute' for a little less. I understand why they do that for economic reasons but refuse to buy it: I should try a sample from whisky exchange and go from there. Up until last year it was occasionally available for £90, Now discontinued it's £200+!

I now drink Nikka from the barrel which is about £30-35 for 50 cl. A bit fiery, not too much, but a light creamy finish too.
  • Options
    Worth keeping an eye on the Amazon deals at the moment. In the last 2 weeks I've picked up 70 cl bottles of Aberlour 12 yo and Strathisla 12 yo for £25 or under (including delivery). I'd be interested to know if there is a way of picking up these single malts more cheaply. I'm particularly enjoying the Aberlour.