Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anthony Nolan Trust/Register

Hello Lifers! I come bearing good news and an appeal!

So. I've been fortunate enough to have been found a match for a patient who needs a blood transplant. I have a procedure on October 17th called Peripheral Blood Stem Cell donation, where all the good stuff in my blood is taken out and then used to help someone with a blood disorder. It's a few hours long; basically painless; and easy for me to prepare for. All great.

However.

This costs money. From the initial testing kit (£60), to my medical examinations and testing once I'm found to be a match (£££); to any expenses for my time (thankfully £0 as I'm a Londoner); to the actual procedure; to medical insurance - Anthony Nolan shell out a fair amount of dough.

So I thought I'd ask the most charitable community I know in CL and see if you guys feel like helping Anthony Nolan with its incredible work. Here is my fundraising page: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/PATRICK-PAMMENT

Anything you can give would be amazing. Let's all #BeTheCure.

--------

Even if you can't donate, PLEASE JOIN THE REGISTER if you're under 30. 60% of patients get the best possible match, which is great, but AN always needs more donors. So if you're healthy and under 30, please join! Here's that page: https://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells/apply-join-our-register

Most importantly, perhaps, is to note the following:

- I'm male
- I'm under 30
- I'm of a minority ethnic background

"Why's this important?", I hear you cry. Well - young men make up over half of all donors but just 15% of those on the register.

Also - the match rate of 60% I mentioned earlier drops massively to 20.5% if you're black, Asian, or another ethnic minority.

Regardless - if you're aged 16-30, please join the register. It's such an important thing and comes at next to no inconvenience for you, but makes a massive difference to someone's life.

Thank you, peace and love -

Paddy x

Comments

• Options
    Very well done Paddy. Will be thinking of you on the 17th.
    Pleased to donate .
  • Options
    Great stuff, Paddy - will be happy to donate.

It is something very, very close to my heart. I haven't mentioned it on here before but my youngest son was diagnosed with leukemia in April 2014. His treatment although horrendous for him has gone very well and he's in full remission now and hasn't needed a bone marrow/stem cell transplant (hope he never will). But if he did his elder brother is a perfect match - I would dread to think of the nightmare of having to find a donor on the register.

One day there will be a cure for every form of cancer - but we're not there yet and I would urge anyone under 40 to consider registering with an organisation such as the Anthony Nolan Trust.

• Options
    Pleased to donate also.
  • Options
    I've attended a few of their black tie charity balls in the past and a certain Mr Curbishley has been in attendance sitting on the top table with the celebs so I think this is one he supports
  • Options
    Good work Paddy.

I have donated stem cells. One of my sisters had leukemia a few years ago and I was a match. Fortunately all has worked out well.

About a week before I had injections to stimulate white cell production. On the day, plugged into a machine, blood out, through a machine to take the cells and then back in again. Takes a few hours. Can leave you feeling physically drained before and after. Worth it though.
  • Options
    Jesus, that's an amazing thing to do Paddy.

I just tried to register on the link you provided, as it's a wonderful thing to do - alas, I'll need to do it after I register at my local GP surgery (as they want the address).

I'll donate via JustGiving this evening when I'm finished up at work.

Once again, top work mate. I'm sure a few of us will buy you a beer if we get the opportunity.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your support - really great to see.

And @johnny73 - great to know the procedure from someone who's been through it and not just a nurse! Pretty sure PBSC will all be fine though.

@bobmunro absolutely delighted to hear your youngest is doing so well, and that should anything happen you've got an easy match.

That sort of thing does highlight how important it is to be on the register though - I'm not really fussed about the money (though it'd be great if I could raise as much as possible).

If even one person signs up cos I've helped raise awareness, and if they turn out to be a match - can't put a price on that really.
  • Options
    Is as johny73 posted earlier, I donated over 10 year ago when I was found a match through Anthony Nolan register.

My match was a Frenchman but for my own reasons I wished to remain anonymous from him The procedure was undertaken in London and his care team thanked me during the process.

I donated twice for the same person but wished to not know how he responded.

I am pleased to know I helped that man whatever way with his treatment knowing from experience how these things can progress. that was enough for me.

I am still on the register but have not been found a match since.

A very worthwhile and personally rewarding experience. I urge all to sign up.

I wish you all the best Paddy
  • Options
    I registered with Anthony Nolan trust about 20 yrs ago, not been a match yet.
  • Options
    Modest target. Worth a bump.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, only a few days in and I'm not far off target! £500 was probably a bit too conservative - it's nearly your last chance to be the one to get me over that line. ... And then set up for £1000, perhaps. Who knows!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/PATRICK-PAMMENT
  • Options
    Does that mean if you are over 30 and female you cannot be on the register? Will donate. Good luck to you
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Well, only a few days in and I'm not far off target! £500 was probably a bit too conservative - it's nearly your last chance to be the one to get me over that line. ... And then set up for £1000, perhaps. Who knows!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/PATRICK-PAMMENT

That's done - now raise the bar again!!
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Does that mean if you are over 30 and female you cannot be on the register? Will donate. Good luck to you

Nope, just over 30s, and that's for health reasons.

Females - sure thing, but my point was (and I didn't explain it clearly enough) that men in my demographic are far more likely to be found to be a match for someone, as apparently we produce more stem cells, or something.

+++

A massive THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who has contributed - I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Fucking hell. Let's keep going. Wow.
  • Options
    Bob's the man... errrrr Bob I'm not going to hold it against you that you didn't sponsor me last year.... much!!! :-)
    Unless you were anonymous of course then I thank you.

Well done Paddy. Charlton Lifer's generosity goes above and beyond.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Bob's the man... errrrr Bob I'm not going to hold it against you that you didn't sponsor me last year.... much!!! :-)
    Unless you were anonymous of course then I thank you.

Well done Paddy. Charlton Lifer's generosity goes above and beyond.

Sometimes I'm anonymous - but not for this one as it means so much to me personally.
  • Options
    The only register I'll admit to being on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I realised I never donated to this, so I've dug it out and just popped £20 in there. £1,745 now!

(Also, bump... ;))
  • Options
    Hello everybody!

First off - WOW. We've raised £1,845 for the Nolan. I'm absolutely gobsmacked, and that's in no small part down to you absolute diamonds on CL. Thank you all so, so much - I never expected to get anywhere near this. Wow.

A quick update - I had my first of five GCSF injections this morning! Two needles, very easy, very simple, and I'm feeling fine (at the moment). These basically mean I can grow the surplus cells that my recipient needs, and on Monday when I donate, there should be loads of those in the peripheral bits of my blood to be harvested. Super stuff.

Nevertheless, we could all always be doing more, and in particular JOIN THE REGISTER. That for me seems to be the most important thing - so here's the link again: https://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells/apply-join-our-register

Once again, thanks to everyone who's donated - I'm overwhelmed.

Paddy x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How amazing must it feel to save a life?

You're a hero, Paddy.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow Paddy. Hope all goes well .
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Hello everybody!

First off - WOW. We've raised £1,845 for the Nolan. I'm absolutely gobsmacked, and that's in no small part down to you absolute diamonds on CL. Thank you all so, so much - I never expected to get anywhere near this. Wow.

A quick update - I had my first of five GCSF injections this morning! Two needles, very easy, very simple, and I'm feeling fine (at the moment). These basically mean I can grow the surplus cells that my recipient needs, and on Monday when I donate, there should be loads of those in the peripheral bits of my blood to be harvested. Super stuff.

Nevertheless, we could all always be doing more, and in particular JOIN THE REGISTER. That for me seems to be the most important thing - so here's the link again: https://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells/apply-join-our-register

Once again, thanks to everyone who's donated - I'm overwhelmed.

Paddy x

If people have GCSE injections, why do they need to sit the exams?
  • Options
    Morning everyone!

I'm typing this from my hospital bed, just before I'm hooked up to a load of machines. Just wanted to thank you all so much for your generous contributions - I cannot believe that nearly £2,000 has been raised so far.

Of course, shameless link time - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/PATRICK-PAMMENT

Regardless, if you're eligible then please get on the register, too. It's a relatively easy thing to do, and could make a huge difference to someone.

Speak soon all! x