Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oldham | Tue 27 Sep | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    So yeah, essentialy my team would be the same as @Dazzler21 but with Ajose in for Botaka, and Lookman on the wing...
  • Options

Think it's mad that Slade (and others) seems to have given up on Ajose after just a few quiet games. He can clearly score goals, and is a good fit with Magennis up front. Mad to write him off already, as many seem to have done. When people were calling for him to be dropped after the Dons game I said we'd score more with him in the team than out of it. He doesn't feature in the next two games and we've not scored from open play.

On Saturday, Magennis up top on his own clearly didn't work - at least not with the midfield we played. He tried hard, but not much he can do with long lumped balls out of defence when there are always three defenders around him and no red shirt within 30 yards. While Ajose's finishing has not always been great, when he's played he has at least provided an option there.

I'd play Magennis and Ajose up front with Lookman and Holmes on the wings from the beginning, and hope the mix of attacking options compensates for the utter lack of dynamism in the middle (whatever combination of Jackson, Ulvestad, Crofts and Foley that happens to be). Might be wrong, but don't think those four attacking players have all started a game together this season?

Oh actually, think they did against Wimbledon. Maybe I'm not the tactical genius I thought I was...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

IdleHans said:

Is that an owl or a scruffy looking eagle?

It's not Massive, is it?

A bit tawny though wouldnt you say? ;)
  • Options
    cabbles said:

my prediction this week is dedicated to @MrLargo

With Slade having drawn our way into a frustrating start, to keep the natives happy, we need to win. Forever's preview says Oldham struggle for goals. This has got 1-0 to Oldham written all over it.

Oldham score in the 30th minute or something, from a set a piece. Fox loses his man, ball bundled in. The 6000 charlton fans are angry and frustrated at half time, questioning why Crofts and Foley are so slow in the middle of the park. The second half doesn't really yield any sustained pressure as Oldham shut up shop and the frustrations eek out into chants of 'just sell the club'.

Sue Parkes looks fetching in a lovely summer dress in the directors box, but the chilly winds of autumn are closing in.

Boos ring out at the final whistle and Russell trots off toward the tunnel, aware we don't want any clapping of any sort. All that remains his for him to be prickly with @LouisMend in the post match press conference.......

Couldn't have called it better myself @cabbles . Nearly October, so we're due for this season's crisis to get going properly. Only difference this year is that we haven't even mustered a false dawn for the first few weeks.

0-1 sounds about right. Murmurs of dissatisfaction slowly start becoming shouts.

Just remember folks, however crap Russell is, it's not his fault that the only people willing to work for Roland and Katrien aren't good enough.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I think you need to compromise and only have one of Botaka and Holmes with JJ as an extra man in midfield with Crofts and Ulvesstad. Lookman needs to play off Magennis.
  • Options

Charlton's 4th game in 10 days against Oldham tomorrow.

It's unrelenting and can take a toll on players - especially those carrying knocks and niggles and others not at full match fitness - Holmes and Novak, for example.
    I expect Pearce will be back, and a partner for Magennis up front.

Ricky Holmes is hopefully fit enough to start - but I wouldn't be surprised if Lookman is on the bench and comes on as an impact sub.
    We haven't seen Botaka start yet, despite very decent late sub appearances.

The team will need some fresh legs, so maybe Botaka gets his chance, with Holmes given a free role behinn the front 2?
  • Options
    As you can tell I'm no technical genius, but start on the front foot and be ahead by halftime is a must, then add to any lead, bought time for some wins, 3-0.
  • Options
    As soon as "Oldham don't score many..." came up i thought ah, high scoring draw. Goals for them and a complete prick ache for us!

3-3
  • Options

As you can tell I'm no technical genius, but start on the front foot and be ahead by halftime is a must, then add to any lead, bought time for some wins, 3-0.

That's exactly what we did against Wimbledon.

Just didn't get around to adding more goals.
    You know the rest.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Charlton's 4th game in 10 days against Oldham tomorrow

The EFL really fucked the fixture list up then, didn't they!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to this one.

Never ever seen a decent game v Oldham. Even when we've had a really good side, it's always been shit.

On the plus side, I've never seen us lose at home to them (8 games) so I'm going for a superbly entertaining 3-4 defeat.
  • Options
    Oldham are under acheiving at present. So 1-1 and another frsutrating home game.
  • Options

If Tex is back I expect a 5-3-2/3-5-2

no way will we win 5-3, lose 2-3 or win 5-2.
    well thats me putting some money on each of those scores, care to offer me odds before i hand my money over elsewhere?
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

As you'll know, it was the International break and the re-arranged Scunthorpe away game last week that overloaded the present schedule of matches.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    must win game .. attack ... attack .. attack attack attack

Recall for Ajose .. Holmes in central midfield attacking role ...

CAFC 3 v Oldham Athletic 0
  • Options
    edited September 2016

If Tex is back I expect a 5-3-2/3-5-2

no way will we win 5-3, lose 2-3 or win 5-2.
    well thats me putting some money on each of those scores, care to offer me odds before i hand my money over elsewhere?
    As tempting as that offer is I'm going to have to decline. Although I am now also going to have to place small wagers on these.

Paddypowers offering attached.
  • Options
    Shock result, a Charlton win.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Shock result, a Charlton win.

Now you're really taking the piss.
  • Options
    The dawning of a new era - back to back wins, Charlton Top 3, Brussel voted Manager of the Month, and Latrine on the board of the EFL: all in the space of 5 days. Nothing less than 2-0 here please Brussel: so Lookman or Holmes to score early, 80 minutes of hoof it up to Magenis, then lucky rebound off of Ajose's shin. 3 points in the bag and on to the next. Gotta strange feeling he'll bring back Konsa and rest Bauer (who knows what goes on in the mind of a tactical genius?).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't muster much enthusiasm. Will possibly pop in on way home from work but it will be a last minute decision. Has all the makings of a brain busting dull draw.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

As you'll know, it was the International break and the re-arranged Scunthorpe away game last week that overloaded the present schedule of matches.

Sorry Oggy, but I'm going to have to whoosh you mate!

I was just making a joke about the phrasing of your sentence, which made it sound like we were playing Oldham for the 4th time in 10 days!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Think it's mad that Slade (and others) seems to have given up on Ajose after just a few quiet games. He can clearly score goals, and is a good fit with Magennis up front. Mad to write him off already, as many seem to have done. When people were calling for him to be dropped after the Dons game I said we'd score more with him in the team than out of it. He doesn't feature in the next two games and we've not scored from open play.

On Saturday, Magennis up top on his own clearly didn't work - at least not with the midfield we played. He tried hard, but not much he can do with long lumped balls out of defence when there are always three defenders around him and no red shirt within 30 yards. While Ajose's finishing has not always been great, when he's played he has at least provided an option there.

I'd play Magennis and Ajose up front with Lookman and Holmes on the wings from the beginning, and hope the mix of attacking options compensates for the utter lack of dynamism in the middle (whatever combination of Jackson, Ulvestad, Crofts and Foley that happens to be). Might be wrong, but don't think those four attacking players have all started a game together this season?

Oh actually, think they did against Wimbledon. Maybe I'm not the tactical genius I thought I was...
    You are a tactical genius because the reason we lost against Wimbledon was the missing of 3 good chances ( 2 by Ajosie) we should have been 3 up before Wimbledon had their 1st shot on our goal.

It's not wrong if you pick an attacking team that creates chances.

If Slade picks JJ,Crofts and Foley against the mighty Rochdale on Saturday i will ask for my £5 back.

2-1 against Oldham in front of 8,907
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Sorry Oggy, but I'm going to have to whoosh you mate!

I was just making a joke about the phrasing of your sentence, which made it sound like we were playing Oldham for the 4th time in 10 days!
    lol ..... well and truly WHOOOOOSH-ed then!

• Options
    Average team ?
    Average Manager ?
    Average team with an Average Manager ? All will be revealed in next 3 games.

RS obviously did not get the memo about promotion and the top six budget. He has been scraping points to stay up so far. However, now he,s been brought up to date, let's see what happens.

2-1 but a struggle , as RS will do his best to ensure the midfield plays no part in any attacking play.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    RS will be playing 4-4-2, bringing in Holmes, Botaka, Novak and Ajose from the start, all out attack from the off, score an early goal and we put them on the back foot, we score another after 20 mins, and push onto a 5-0 victory and punters go home happy......then I woke up!!

Addicks win 1-0.....match thread from 6.30
  • Options

A massive 4-0 win.
    Top by Christmas, champions by Easter.
    August 2018 our first home game back in the premier league.

Been watching your favorite film again Smudge, Chocolate and the Charlie Factory?