Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West Ham Charltonised?

Comments

• Addickted said:

JiMMy 85 said:
    Disappointed that this wasn't shown on MOTD2

Saving it for the end of season video.
    Classic, I was sitting on the settee (can't use the s**a word anymore) watching the match and cackling like a loon when that happened. Then I started chanting "you're just a team of Roger Johnsons". Mrs cafcfan thought I'd gone mad.
  • West Ham are the premier league version of Milton Keynes. Hated by everyone for a non footballing reason.

Let's hope there struggles continues.
  • If they go down, they could really struggle. Please, please let it happen!

They are rich beyond our wildest.

They could go down but they can't struggle.
  • Another example of what happens when owners start making decisions based on what they think is best for the club/fans (ie the bottom line and their own income). The shambles inside that soulless stadium could help keep us from going mad this season.
  • Gammysnr said:

Went to West Ham on a freebie today. My god they were terrible. Have all the no-go Charlton fans now watching them, caused a Charltonisation?

Fans going on freebie tickets... they have been Charltonised!
    Sounds like half of Charltonlife were there yesterday!

• Sponsored links:

• If they go down, they could really struggle. Please, please let it happen!

They are rich beyond our wildest.

They could go down but they can't struggle.
    A gulf has certainly developed between us in recent times. But not so long ago, we regularly got the better of them on the pitch. They had a dilapidated, small old ground, we had a newly renovated and spacious Valley. Over the years they have blown countless millions on players like Lundberg, Kieron Dyer and Andy Carroll. Were they to get relegated, they would be stuck with some players on huge contracts and they could find themselves in a very large stadium with far fewer fans and a very poor atmosphere. I think they could slide very quickly if they went down this year.

• Were they to get relegated, they would be stuck with some players on huge contracts and they could find themselves in a very large stadium with far fewer fans and a very poor atmosphere. I think they could slide very quickly if they went down this year.

The problem there is that they aren't paying for their very large stadium. It's costing them peanuts at the moment and if they get relegated it's pretty much paying them!
  • Rizzo said:

Were they to get relegated, they would be stuck with some players on huge contracts and they could find themselves in a very large stadium with far fewer fans and a very poor atmosphere. I think they could slide very quickly if they went down this year.

The problem there is that they aren't paying for their very large stadium. It's costing them peanuts at the moment and if they get relegated it's pretty much paying them!
    Exactly. They are a zero overhead club. This means they will pay less in rent than, say, the Massives pay in match day overheads.They will get parachute payments. They will have the biggest corporate hospitality revenue in the division, and probably benefit from naming rights, as I suspect the deal will have been agreed by now, and have little or nothing in the way of "relegation reduction" for their 20%.

They will easily buy their way back up.

• I went on a freebie too.

Their supporters have a clear identity, but the stadium doesn't reflect it.

Being miles from the pitch - and with the stadium layout sectioning the ground into separate chunks - you're aware you're in a big crowd but you don't feel part of it.

That said, must have been 15,000 season ticket no shows today.

From arrival at Stratford tube to the turnstile is a mission and requires guesswork to establish the quickest way.

A team low on confidence doesn't help matters.

Long season ahead on and off the pitch.

My heart bleeds for them.
  • Macronate said:

It clearly isn't working out for them at the Legacy Stadium; the pitch is too far away, the football's shit and there's in-fighting at what seems like every game. And the players clearly aren't enjoying it on the basis of yesterday's performance. There must be holes in the pitch and snipers in the crowd because they kept falling over as if they'd been shot, before then constantly moaning to the referee, I assume about the state of the pitch and the snipers.

Is it too late for them to get Upton Park back?

Brady and Gold love it there ... and that's all that counts
  • edited September 2016

E-cafc said:
    Best comment for me:

"Need a good old fashioned relegation to sort this out. Might then have a chance of our support getting back to being WHUFC rather than the corporate, tourist, Disneyland day out shitfest we have become"
    Katrien Meires idea of a perfect football experience....
  • Was also at the game yesterday.

It feels like a smaller version of the new Wembley, where it is hard to generate atmosphere inside or outside the ground. It really is the complete opposite of what West Ham used to stand for on so many levels.

The defending was absolutely horrendous from start to finish
  • It serves them right. They finished around mid table each year under Allardyce yet they were still so desperate for him to be sacked. Bilic's first year looked like Martinez' first at Everton. It's not impossible that Big Sam's five years of good work will be undone in two seasons. They were talking about Champions League in the summer and it'll be truly hilarious if they head to the Championship instead just a season later.

And what's Allardyce done since leaving?
  • Sponsored links:

• Relegation for West Ham. It couldn't happen to a more deserving set of supporters. How they slagged us off when we went down I will never forget.
  • mogodon said:

On the plus side for Brady if it all gets nasty, the fans are so far from the pitch you'd need to be Steve Backley to get a squidgy ball near the playing area.

I will second that.
    Some of the West Ham supporters I come across are real arseholes. In the run up to them moving in to the new stadium they were really giving it large how their gates were doubling in size and they were going to be one of the BIG teams in Europe.
    But even worse was that I was getting ridiculed for supporting Charlton. I have had quite a few heated chats with Hammers fans.
    I will always be thankful that West Ham let Charlton use Upton Park when we were homeless, but know I really hope that they get relegated this season.
    How I find most I encounter too. Arrogant beyond belief. Even before they got the Olympic stadium they were so arrogant. All that West Ham won the World Cup in 66 BS. I know that started as a bit of a wind up but they ended up believing their own BS. They do every time. The Academy of football stuff. 'Moore than a club' t-shirts. It goes on and on. And then when they got the OS and they went in to over drive. That's why I'm finding it difficult to have any sympathy for them at the moment.
  • Don't get me started about the "playing the West Ham way" nonsense
  • When they get relegated, where does that leave the taxpayers?
  • When they get relegated, where does that leave the taxpayers?

Fucked even more
  • IAIA
    edited September 2016
    cafcfan said:

mogodon said:

On the plus side for Brady if it all gets nasty, the fans are so far from the pitch you'd need to be Steve Backley to get a squidgy ball near the playing area.

Too true. In fact fans at one end of Upton Park were closer to the far side goal than fans in the back row of the OS seated behind the goal, are to the goal closest to them. This is fun:

The Boleyn inside Emirates inside the TaxpayerDome Russian doll picture is great.