Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

DIY

Didn't see another thread on here (used the search function to no avail). So maybe use this for DIY questions?

I'll start, just moved into a new rented property, the shower is a mixer shower, so it's connected to the bath faucet. The pressure is really high coming out of the taps but when it goes through the shower hose it remains the same weak pressure even if you turn the taps on more and more. I removed the hose and the water can come out at a high pressure and gets higher the more you turn the taps. It's not the shower head as I tried the same with just the shower hose connected to the faucet and it stays at the same constant weak pressure as before. Just wondering if there are any plumbers or DIY experts that have any advice? Would prefer not to have to buy a new hose or head, wondering if there's anything I can do to keep that pressure?

Comments

• Options
    use a full bore shower hose of 11mm diameter instead of the standard 8mm, you can get low pressure shower heads aswell, there usually budget range would suggest a full bore shower hose and budget head would be no more than about 15-20 quid, is the hose still a weak pressure if its held at the same level as the taps or when its on a holder on the wall.
  • Options

Lay down flat in the bath and hold shower 6 inches above you

But don't try to faucet.

Also don't put plug in otherwise you will drown
  • Options
    The wall tiling in my bathroom is beginning to look as if it might come away from the wall. How hard is wall tiling? Is it something a complete novice could do?
  • Options

use a full bore shower hose of 11mm diameter instead of the standard 8mm, you can get low pressure shower heads aswell, there usually budget range would suggest a full bore shower hose and budget head would be no more than about 15-20 quid, is the hose still a weak pressure if its held at the same level as the taps or when its on a holder on the wall.

• Options
    iainment said:

The wall tiling in my bathroom is beginning to look as if it might come away from the wall. How hard is wall tiling? Is it something a complete novice could do?

Yes. I do it and I started as a complete novice. Main tips: If you've got uneven walls get them smoothed out first. There's little worse than uneven tiles, particularly if you are using large ones. Don't start with a full tile at the bottom. First put in a wooden baton (on the level obviously) about three quarters of a tile height up (to top of baton), maybe a bit more and tile upwards from that, add the bottom tile last after all the others have set and the supporting baton has been removed. But think also about how your tile height will fit in with other things like bath edges, wash basins and window ledges. With a bit of planning you'll find a compromise that will accommodate all your inconvenient measurements without having to resort to silly little infills. Try to leave approx half tile widths at each end of a wall so that the room looks balanced. Don't risk starting at one end and finding after spacers that you end up with a tiny sliver at the other!
    Modern adhesives and tile cutting kit is excellent. Use an adhesive comb to get consistent adhesive depth and spacers to get the gap right for the grout. The biggest problem is probably still nibbling out small pieces to get round pipes or other obstructions. Think how you are going to deal with bare edges on window sills and the like. Most (all?) modern tiles don't have the ceramic on the edges. You'll probably need to buy the specific edging to conceal this.
    That's about it. Contrary to what you might think, large size tiles don't make a small room look smaller. In fact the opposite!

Oh, and there's even a good tool to help you get rid of the old tile adhesive these days. It's a blade that fits on an electric multi-cutter.

Finally, when you've finished, don't drill through any concealed pipes putting up mirrors, etc! Watch one of the videos on youtube about drilling through tiles. Like this one: https://youtube.com/watch?v=NpEPVLOX4Gc

• Options
    Instead of following cafcfans advice get a tiler in, much better allround
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As long as his first name isn't Carl, in which case DIY.
  • Options

Didn't see another thread on here (used the search function to no avail). So maybe use this for DIY questions?

I'll start, just moved into a new rented property, the shower is a mixer shower, so it's connected to the bath faucet. The pressure is really high coming out of the taps but when it goes through the shower hose it remains the same weak pressure even if you turn the taps on more and more. I removed the hose and the water can come out at a high pressure and gets higher the more you turn the taps. It's not the shower head as I tried the same with just the shower hose connected to the faucet and it stays at the same constant weak pressure as before. Just wondering if there are any plumbers or DIY experts that have any advice? Would prefer not to have to buy a new hose or head, wondering if there's anything I can do to keep that pressure?

Worth checking the rubber washer each end of the hose to make sure it's not a water saving washer with a much smaller hole to reduce the water flow.

• Options

Didn't Keith Vaz do something like that?

Look what trouble it got him into !

• Options

Didn't Keith Vaz do something like that?

Look what trouble it got him into !

You are very naughty fanny
  • Options
    We are in rented at the moment waiting to move into our new house. We had the same problem here however I contacted the landlord and he sorted it. You need to be careful messing around with things like this if you don't own the property
  • Options
    iainment said:

Depends what type of compound the tiles are made of.
  • Options
    DIY = Don't Involve Yourself

• Options
    cafcfan said:

iainment said:

Yes. I do it and I started as a complete novice. Main tips: If you've got uneven walls get them smoothed out first. There's little worse than uneven tiles, particularly if you are using large ones. Don't start with a full tile at the bottom. First put in a wooden baton (on the level obviously) about three quarters of a tile height up (to top of baton), maybe a bit more and tile upwards from that, add the bottom tile last after all the others have set and the supporting baton has been removed. But think also about how your tile height will fit in with other things like bath edges, wash basins and window ledges. With a bit of planning you'll find a compromise that will accommodate all your inconvenient measurements without having to resort to silly little infills. Try to leave approx half tile widths at each end of a wall so that the room looks balanced. Don't risk starting at one end and finding after spacers that you end up with a tiny sliver at the other!
    Modern adhesives and tile cutting kit is excellent. Use an adhesive comb to get consistent adhesive depth and spacers to get the gap right for the grout. The biggest problem is probably still nibbling out small pieces to get round pipes or other obstructions. Think how you are going to deal with bare edges on window sills and the like. Most (all?) modern tiles don't have the ceramic on the edges. You'll probably need to buy the specific edging to conceal this.
    That's about it. Contrary to what you might think, large size tiles don't make a small room look smaller. In fact the opposite!

Oh, and there's even a good tool to help you get rid of the old tile adhesive these days. It's a blade that fits on an electric multi-cutter.

Finally, when you've finished, don't drill through any concealed pipes putting up mirrors, etc! Watch one of the videos on youtube about drilling through tiles. Like this one: https://youtube.com/watch?v=NpEPVLOX4Gc

Thanks.
  • Options

It would cost more than I can afford currently.
  • Options
    YouTube tiling a wall. Great advice on there on how to start etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YouTube can be your best friend or worst enemy as far as DIY goes. Tiling a big, flat wall is easy. Cutting and fitting the odd bits is where you will swear. Get spacers and edging and pay decent money for the edging. The cheap stuff is shit. There was good advice about having a full tile meet edges of baths, windows and I'd agree with that.

If you get the materials tilers are one of the cheaper ends of day rate tradies and are astonishingly quick. Depending on where you live I have a mate who may help you
  • Options
    It's important to buy tiles of a suitable size.

I've known experienced tilers fail to get a decent finish on 2' square tiles, it's harder than it looks to get them flat.

I've had experienced tilers talk to me about the perils of 1 inch or smaller mosaic tiles and I wouldn't try and fit anything like that myself.

If I was really short of cash I wooukd think about tiling metro tiles, the brick shaped ones or even easier the classic 6 inch by 6 or 6x9.

Something like that anyway.

The key as people have said above is to make sure you have the wall flat and dry before you start. Also to plan where each tile will go and minimise the amounts of cuts you have to make.

Also would agree the tile edging and corners make a huge difference to the final look and I wouldn't scrimp on them.

A tiler can probably do a reasonable sized bathroom with prep (depending on how much) walls and floor in about 2-4 days. They can cost anywhere between £100 and £150 a day. I guess you can maybe get cheaper if you try hard and aren't too worried how good it looks after.

I certainly don't know if many who get more unless it's real detail work needing a top quality finish.

• Options
    Just spent the last two days decorating. Is it me or is it just the worst job in the world ? I would have rather spent the weekend walking around the shops with the mrs.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

Just spent the last two days decorating. Is it me or is it just the worst job in the world ? I would have rather spent the weekend walking around the shops with the mrs.

Don't mind diy but hate decorating. I've managed to fix quite a few bits around the house this weekend. Replaced the pressure relief valve in the shower, the toilet was making a noise like a foghorn so put a new inlet mechanism in, wired in a new security light in the garage and sorted a few niggling bits.
  • Options

markmc68 said:

Don't mind diy but hate decorating. I've managed to fix quite a few bits around the house this weekend. Replaced the pressure relief valve in the shower, the toilet was making a noise like a foghorn so put a new inlet mechanism in, wired in a new security light in the garage and sorted a few niggling bits.
    All the things that my Mrs askes me to do ,but i can't.

Smartass
  • Options
    I've had a productive weekend fixing shit too.

I won't bore you with the list but as I've got older and accumulated more tools these jobs become easier. I'm far better at fixing things than installing them. I can repair a fucked up wall but ask me to plaster and paint one and I'm off to the pub.

My next task is to choose and erect a new shed which I am hugely looking forward to
  • Options

markmc68 said:

Smartass
    You do realise he's now putting your postcode in his sat nav? ;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

markmc68 said:

Smartass
    You do realise he's now putting your postcode in his sat nav? ;)
    My Mrs will welcome him with open arms (
  • Options
    not really a diy question but general building, 3 bed semi detached in bexleyheath, currently has pebbledashing, to smooth render the lot with scaffolding painting to be done by others just been priced 6.5k does this sound reasonable?.
  • Options

If you can, swap you hose for a shorter one. It'll take less pressure to push the water through it.