Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obstacle Races

There seem to be plenty of different ones of these around nowadays (Tough Mudder, Spartan etc...). I'm about to complete my 3rd Spartan but wondered what others people had done, whether they would recommend them and why. Guessing they each have their own themes that make them unique but never really seen anywhere that gives you a good comparison on each one.

Comments

• Options
    Done a Tough Mudder in 2014 (London West). 12 mile run with an obstacle every half mile. Obstacles ranged from ridiculously easy (hay bales), to ridiculously hard (monkey bars). I was doing a lot of running at the time so the distance never really troubled me. One of the bigger built guys on our team of four really struggled with the running side though. Only fell off the one obstacle myself (monkey bars), but wasn't overly keen on the underwater cage thing or electric shock treatment! Overall, I would say that it was a good challenge and a good day out. Bit pricey though at around £110 per person (and judging by the amount of people queuing for some of the obstacles, they must make a few quid).
  • Options
    I always used to struggle with balancing the bean bag on my head
  • Options
    I have done 6 in the last 2 years and every one is different for varying reasons from time of year (weather) to being able to do as a team/individual.

I start year off with Tough Guy (twice - added some new obstacles second time)in Wolverhampton on the last Sunday in Jan. Brilliant event and claims to be the longest running OCR and is 15km long. It is hilly and the obstacles range in difficulty. The killer is the time of year. It has been known that the first runners through break the ice on the water. It gets cold quickly. Keep moving and you'll be fine. Everyone starts in the space of 15 minutes around 11am. Can do this on your own easily. Unfortunately it is claimed the last one in next Jan. Can't wait for it.

The Nuts Challenge is in Surrey and runs twice a year, March or Sept. When I did it in March is was snowing on the start line and very cold. Run by ex Army guy Wayne it is a tough course. Can do 1, 2, 3 or 4 laps and each is 7km. It is fun but tough. There is a lot of water to run through across the streams that go through the route but keep moving and all is fine. Can do individually alright and is more than tough enough on one lap so good luck if you choose 4! More here: http://www.the112yards.co.uk/the-nuts-challenge-review-2016/

Tough Mudder (twice - different courses and some new obstacles) is a laugh and best done with mates or in a team. It bills itself as such and no time is given for you. The main course in around 12 miles long but can do the 'half' which also cuts out the ice dunk and electric shock obstacles. You do need others to help you on this on their obstacles and some include carrying others and creating pyramids to get up and over. Everest 2.0 is a half pipe to get up.

Lastly I did Rat Race Dirty Weekend at Burghley House. A 20 mile monster with zones as you go through. Could do this individually or with a team. A proper weekend this and definitely the best I have ever done. Worth every penny too but get an early wave if possible. Can also do half distance. A lot of running but the zones are fun from Water Zone to a Builders/Construction Zone etc. The beast is the last ones at 5 shipping containers high. They lay on an after party too. More here: http://www.the112yards.co.uk/rat-race-dirty-weekend-review-2016/.

I have always thought about doing Spartan but for some reason never quite got there. What is Spartan like? You must enjoy it if on your 3rd one.
  • Options
    Markg2004 said:

I have done 6 in the last 2 years and every one is different for varying reasons from time of year (weather) to being able to do as a team/individual.

I start year off with Tough Guy (twice - added some new obstacles second time)in Wolverhampton on the last Sunday in Jan. Brilliant event and claims to be the longest running OCR and is 15km long. It is hilly and the obstacles range in difficulty. The killer is the time of year. It has been known that the first runners through break the ice on the water. It gets cold quickly. Keep moving and you'll be fine. Everyone starts in the space of 15 minutes around 11am. Can do this on your own easily. Unfortunately it is claimed the last one in next Jan. Can't wait for it.

The Nuts Challenge is in Surrey and runs twice a year, March or Sept. When I did it in March is was snowing on the start line and very cold. Run by ex Army guy Wayne it is a tough course. Can do 1, 2, 3 or 4 laps and each is 7km. It is fun but tough. There is a lot of water to run through across the streams that go through the route but keep moving and all is fine. Can do individually alright and is more than tough enough on one lap so good luck if you choose 4! More here: http://www.the112yards.co.uk/the-nuts-challenge-review-2016/

Tough Mudder (twice - different courses and some new obstacles) is a laugh and best done with mates or in a team. It bills itself as such and no time is given for you. The main course in around 12 miles long but can do the 'half' which also cuts out the ice dunk and electric shock obstacles. You do need others to help you on this on their obstacles and some include carrying others and creating pyramids to get up and over. Everest 2.0 is a half pipe to get up.

Lastly I did Rat Race Dirty Weekend at Burghley House. A 20 mile monster with zones as you go through. Could do this individually or with a team. A proper weekend this and definitely the best I have ever done. Worth every penny too but get an early wave if possible. Can also do half distance. A lot of running but the zones are fun from Water Zone to a Builders/Construction Zone etc. The beast is the last ones at 5 shipping containers high. They lay on an after party too. More here: http://www.the112yards.co.uk/rat-race-dirty-weekend-review-2016/.

I have always thought about doing Spartan but for some reason never quite got there. What is Spartan like? You must enjoy it if on your 3rd one.

Blimey you've done plenty then! Some food for thought there.

I have done Spartans as a mate had done them before and effectively wore me down into doing it! Doing one called the beast next weekend which at least half marathon distance. Done one called a Super (about 14km) and a Sprint (about 6km). They call it the Trifecta if you do all 3 in a year so it's a bit of an incentive. Terrains vary as they are in different parts of the country. The super was horrible as it was mainly up and down hills in the Cotswolds and I was woefully under prepared. They throw in plenty of obstacles like walls, rope climbs, Atlas stone carries, barb wire crawls, lake swims and if you fail to complete one you do 30 burpees so you really want to do them! The beast will have about 30 obstacles. You can go around individually or as a team.

I'd recommend doing it if you're into them. How it's matches up to the others I don't know but the beast should be absolutely horrible!
  • Options
    Is there one that's more akin to walking football?