Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL rule out Premiership B teams

Premier League B teams and 'non-English' clubs will not be included in plans to reform the structure of the English Football League.

In May, it was revealed that the EFL, formerly known as the Football League before a rebrand this summer, could expand to include a fifth tier by 2019-20, with 100 teams over five divisions.

It is planned that additional clubs would come from the National League.

EFL clubs met to discuss the proposals for the first time on Thursday.

The exclusion of extra 'non-English' clubs from the plans, which will be voted on by all clubs in June 2017, would appear to remove any prospect of Scottish giants Celtic and Rangers being involved in the EFL in the forseeable future.

"The logical place for many was to source the additional teams for League Three from the National League," EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey said.

"We will now continue our consultation with the National League with a little more certainty as to what any change could mean for them."

This season, the Checkatrade Trophy has included under-21 teams from Premier League and Championship clubs for the first time on a trial basis.

Comments

• Options
    Well done.
  • Options
    do we even need a restructure? has anyone even asked this quite important question?
  • Options
    Additionally, the bottom 2 and the new league 3 have rejected having a winter break.
  • Options

do we even need a restructure? has anyone even asked this quite important question?

I don't know why exactly, but I like the idea of each division having the same number of teams and relegation/ promotion spots. It means match days will be the same across each division every week. A nice structure. Although I'd miss the bonus of reading about our defeats on Tueaday matchday threads.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Having a five tier system makes sense to me, as so many of the so called non-league teams are fully professional now, having an additional 8 of them in the league system is a good idea
  • Options
    I can't imagine that the clubs would be happy with 19 home games instead of 23!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

In our case that's probably for the best.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I'd think that too!

But despite the headline, this is still only a proposal. The key sentence was: "For the proposal to be approved, they will need the backing of 65 EFL clubs (90%) at next year's Annual General Meeting."

• Options
    That would be a weird season of promotion and relegation.
  • Options
    The crux of this would be if the clubs were going to reduce the price of season tickets. If they are not then it would look like the same revenue (pretty much) having to stage four fewer games. If they were midweek games it might not have as much affect on the total attendances either as fewer go to midweek games in the winter. I assume that each division would only have to share their TV money 20 ways rather then 24.

I prefer it as it is, the more games the better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a great opportunity for national league clubs who I believe would benefit from a decent increase in commercial revenue without incurring a substantial rise in operational costs that promotion to the football league usually brings.

There does need to be careful consideration about the impact across National League South and National League North divisions, who are usually part time. It could create an accidental gulf between the divisions similar to the current PL/ Championship.

Overall positive steps but much more consultation required to make these proposals practical, particularly at the lower end of the football spectrum.
  • Options
    Where does this leave Cardiff and the likes?
  • Options
    I suspect what Championship clubs would prefer is a second Premier division rather than more lower league mouths to feed from the paltry EFL tv deal.
  • Options
    I don't understand how this makes sense from a business perspective. For most EFL teams matchday revenue is their biggest source of income. By reducing leagues from 23 to 19 it reduces their profit making opportunities by around 5%.
  • Options
    Just shove the 92 teams into one mega Division... Every club gets 15 random home games with 15 random away games each season

The top half of the table then go into a Round Robin with the winners winning the League whilst the bottom half of the table go into a Relegation play-off which sees the bottom three going into the National League!!
  • Options
    Could be interesting especially if the often talked about Prem 2 were persude.
  • Options
    FA cup 4th and 5th round could be moved to midweek matches to make space for the winter break.

Additionally, replays could be scraped for those rounds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37478695
  • Options

FA cup 4th and 5th round could be moved to midweek matches to make space for the winter break.

Additionally, replays could be scraped for those rounds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37478695

This change does not effect Charlton fans, come back when they start messing with Rounds 1& 2 :smile:
  • Options
    Replays should be scrapped full stop, pointless games. If Barrow get to extra time vs Liverpool at Anfield, then they have a much greater chance of winning that night than they do going back to Holker Street for another game.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Replays should be scrapped full stop, pointless games. If Barrow get to extra time vs Liverpool at Anfield, then they have a much greater chance of winning that night than they do going back to Holker Street for another game.

Bad example as Barrow will want the additional game at Holker Street as two games against one of the elite will result in a ton of revenue for the Non-League or cash strapped League One / League Two side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've always been against the scrapping of replays. The "big" clubs claim they add to the fixture pile up but the moment they get any kind of break they clear off to the far-east to play a friendly.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Just shove the 92 teams into one mega Division... Every club gets 15 random home games with 15 random away games each season

The top half of the table then go into a Round Robin with the winners winning the League whilst the bottom half of the table go into a Relegation play-off which sees the bottom three going into the National League!!

So, 30 random games, and then another 45 games (or 90 if home and away) to get final promotion and relegation - how much are the season tickets gonna be !!!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    MrOneLung said:

So, 30 random games, and then another 45 games (or 90 if home and away) to get final promotion and relegation - how much are the season tickets gonna be !!!
    Nah 30 random games against random opposition meaning that everyone doesnt play each other yet one season we could end up with Manchester United whilst another season we could end up with Hartlepool United.

The top 32 teams go into a Round Robin Knockout stage to determine who wins the League / European places etc. (So if you lose in the Round of 32 you only play 31 games that season), same with relegation, the bottom 32 teams go into their own separate Round Robin Knockout stage just with the reverse effect (i.e. If you win a game then your safe).

Season Ticket prices are a maximum of £100 with match day tickets a maximum of £10