Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conversation on a train - April 29th, 2014

This is the email I alluded to in another thread. It took me a while to dig it out and I hadn't remembered it correctly.

I didn't know what to make of it at the time, and still don't, although I had no reason to doubt its authenticity and I've since verified that it was sent in a real name by a Charlton fan, but I am not disclosing that name.

It was sent the day after the team had stayed up, so it didn't seem appropriate to publish it at the time.

Date: 30 April 2014 13:38:54 BST
To: "editor@votvonline.com"
Subject: Friends of Katrien Meire

Dear VOTV

Following last night's great result, I got on the train from Charlton station and three men in suits sat opposite me.

One asked the other if he was a Charlton fan, to which he replied, no, you could say that I was a Katrien fan.

They then proceeded to discuss what an excellent job she was doing and what her challenges were, including having had some very harsh words said about her, including by the wife of the club secretary. They didn't say what.

They continued with; 'the problem with the club is that some staff have been at the club for 20 years'.

'Rolande is expecting massive changes in the organisation'.

The difficulty of keeping the club 'local but streamlining'.

Not being able to afford renovating the ground so looking at moving grounds. One suggestion was a temporary move for a year, the other was 'moving, but not very far'.

One of the gentlemen said that he was 'officially there tonight with his FA hat on'. He was wearing an FA tie.

The most galling statement was, 'it's a nice little project to play around with for a few years'.

As you can imagine this put a slight dampener on an otherwise excellent evening. There's nothing in the conversation that I'm sure we weren't already aware was being discussed but it left me with a feeling of dread.

Comments

• Options
    I am going to tell myself this can't possibly be true.
    lalalalalalalalalalalalalala
  • Options
    Sickening.
  • Options
    That's very interesting.

I wonder who this FA chap was, and more interestingly, why Sue Parkes has become a bigger Katrien fan as time has gone on, whilst Katrien has shown herself to be worse.
  • Options
    Well well ... 'the wife of the club secretary' has certainly changed her tune since then
  • Options
    Should've taken a selfie with them.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Well well ... 'the wife of the club secretary' has certainly changed her tune since then

I wonder what could have possibly changed her mind on this.
  • Options
    Without knowing who the three suits were its very difficult to be able to read anything into this including the accuracy of the comments to be honest, was their knowledge first hand or Chinese whispers. Who knows? Seems there is enough to condemn Duchatalet without this.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Without knowing who the three suits were its very difficult to be able to read anything into this including the accuracy of the comments to be honest, was their knowledge first hand or Chinese whispers. Who knows? Seems there is enough to condemn Duchatalet without this.

And who wrote it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Kap10 said:

And who wrote it.
    All the above is true, but given the date it was written and the fact that Airman confirms that he knows who sent it leads me to suppose that is authentic. The fact it was sent more than two years ago and mentions the club secretary's wife suggests that said wife is someone likes airing her views.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Mametz said:

colthe3rd said:

Kap10 said:

And who wrote it.
    All the above is true, but given the date it was written and the fact that Airman confirms that he knows who sent it leads me to suppose that is authentic. The fact it was sent more than two years ago and mentions the club secretary's wife suggests that said wife is someone likes airing her often diametrically opposed views.
    Fixed that for you.

Or maybe she had a Damascus experience?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I wear a suit and talk to people on trains. But nobody believes a fucking word I say about anything!
    :o(

ha, my guess is they quickly make excuses and get off at the next stop.....

:-)

• Options
    Mametz said:

colthe3rd said:

Kap10 said:

And who wrote it.
    All the above is true, but given the date it was written and the fact that Airman confirms that he knows who sent it leads me to suppose that is authentic. The fact it was sent more than two years ago and mentions the club secretary's wife suggests that said wife is someone likes airing her views.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not doubting that the email is real or that it is from a real person. Without knowing who they are and what their views are it's hard to know the motives behind it. Let's not kid ourselves that there were people from day 1 who were fervently against the takeover for whatever reason they may have had.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

There are themes within it though that smack of authenticity, especially the (largely exaggerated) 20 years and the mention of Sue Parkes. Why, in April 2014, would anyone have been talking about the club secretary's wife?

The person who sent it is not someone I know, but much later I picked up their name - I think in an online VOTV order - which showed them to have been using their real identity when they sent it to me.

So I think the email is a genuine account of events sent in good faith. Whether the views of the individuals are of great relevance I doubt, which is why I have never disclosed it before.

And at the time, it would have been shouted down by people who wanted to celebrate survival in the Championship and believed everything was fine.
    I'm sure it was sent in good faith and a genuine perceived account of events. Whether those accounts are accurate is very dependent on the communication trail.
  • Options

Off_it said:

I wear a suit and talk to people on trains. But nobody believes a fucking word I say about anything!

Off_it said:

You did well well mate hopping off there. I met him 7 hours later...

He's probably back in hither green - in the graveyard presumably.
  • Options
    Who could they have been?
  • Options
    Can't say
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A represtentive of the FA states that we maybe looking to move away from the valley?

I don't believe that for a second! Roland knows how important it is that Charlton play at the valley.

The man in question was of course a secret agent that works in close connection, with.... Peter varney.

(Just to be completely obvious I'm being sarcastic and have not evolved into a Colin)

So Sue (the wife of the clubs secretary who might as well be on the payroll but is not) wasn't a particular fan of Meire within the 1st 5 months....at least.

This was when Meire wasn't majorly liked or disliked by the general fanbase. Hadn't really publicly said or done anything wrong. Early days, as you'd expect.
    Fans that met her would probably have mostly kind things to say etc.

Perhaps lady parkes was initially jealous?
    Maybe not.

Maybe she thought Katrien didn't have enough work ethic or didn't work hard enough, or simply wasn't suited to the position?

What comes to mind here is; That say for instance, sue parkes was initially quite unimpressed by Katrien Meire for whatever reason to start off with, but then they became genuinely close and more mutually respectful, perhaps, as time went on.
    No crap involved.

What f*cking right has she got to express her opinion on club employees either way?

She is not a club employee so it shouldn't be a place for her to make judgement. She's unaffected.

Well she had got "a right" to speak out (unless she received a letter from the club)

But in terms of what's appropriate and socially acceptable of reluctance to being a big headed nosey complete twat, then no, she has no right at all.

Sue, mind your own business. Your not important to Charlton athletic in any way shape or form.

• Options
    "Dear Roland

The best bit about football manager is upgrading the stadium to 190k seater then cheating and filling it every week as charlton athletic! Everyone knows that. The football part is boring.

Tomas dipshit "
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

A represtentive of the FA states that we maybe looking to move away from the valley?

I don't believe that for a second! Roland knows how important it is that Charlton play at the valley.

The man in question was of course a secret agent that works in close connection, with.... Peter varney.

(Just to be completely obvious I'm being sarcastic and have not evolved into a Colin)

So Sue (the wife of the clubs secretary who might as well be on the payroll but is not) wasn't a particular fan of Meire within the 1st 5 months....at least.

This was when Meire wasn't majorly liked or disliked by the general fanbase. Hadn't really publicly said or done anything wrong. Early days, as you'd expect.

Maybe not.

Maybe she thought Katrien didn't have enough work ethic or didn't work hard enough, or simply wasn't suited to the position?

What comes to mind here is; That say for instance, sue parkes was initially quite unimpressed by Katrien Meire for whatever reason to start off with, but then they became genuinely close and more mutually respectful, perhaps, as time went on.
    No crap involved.

What f*cking right has she got to express her opinion on club employees either way?

She is not a club employee so it shouldn't be a place for her to make judgement. She's unaffected.

Well she had got "a right" to speak out (unless she received a letter from the club)

But in terms of what's appropriate and socially acceptable of reluctance to being a big headed nosey complete twat, then no, she has no right at all.

Sue, mind your own business. Your not important to Charlton athletic in any way shape or form.

Well if she had thought that, then i fail to see how her opinion would've changed
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Perhaps Latrine had given Mrs Perks' old man a few hoops to jump through and he was going home after work stressed so she was mouthing off and sticking up for him; he passed the test kept his job and now it's all rosey in the garden again.
  • Options
    Somebody heard three men talking on a train two years ago.
    One said he was a Katrien fan, and that the Parkes woman had said something harsh about her. Now she says nice things.
    Another man said some people had worked at Charlton for 20 years. Now they don't.
    One man had a tie on and said Roland wanted to move to move grounds. We didn't.
    If only these damning revelations had been revealed at the time, we wouldn't be in position we find ourselves in now.
    Would we.
  • Options
    Regardless of this email/conversation - if anyone still thinks RD is involved with us in order to make CAFC better in the long run, then they are very much mistaken.

These owners are poison.

Belgians out !
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Maybe not.

No crap involved.

But you guys make her Important!
  • Options
    As dismissive as a few posters are, this does leave some interesting questions. What changed? Why has Sue had this epiphany of Katrien being a saviour? Is this all for show, and she really thinks Katrien is a bit of a c..?

@RedChaser has a decent theory tbh.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Maybe they do and you just don't know it. Maybe you should start a "missed connections on trains" (pun fully intended) thread. It will be the most Charlton thread ever.