Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

When do you start taking notice of the League Table?

8 games in, 10 points, 14th in the League. How many more games do you give it, before you either praise the team or are negative about the League position.

Personally I'm hanging on until after the next 4 games. Another 7 points after that, then I'm fine, anything less then we are 12 games in and would start to get concerned.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    shirty5 said:

8 games in, 10 points, 14th in the League. How many more games do you give it, before you either praise the team or are negative about the League position.

Personally I'm hanging on until after the next 4 games. Another 7 points after that, then I'm fine, anything less then we are 12 games in and would start to get concerned.

May

I eye on where we are and how close we are to catching teams etc. but the League Table is only worth its weight in gold come then
  • Options
    I'd agree with 12 games, that's a quarter of the season, the players have had time to gel and play together and initial early form would be negated somewhat by then. One thing you have to remember is we have already played the current top 3, however it doesn't help when you play a team at the bottom at home and lose to them. We won't go up automatically, we'll probably scrape into the playoffs
  • Options
    Never ..... It's always too depressing
  • Options
    10 games to go
  • Options
    End of the season.

But you can spot a trend or where you are likely to finish quite early on.
    14th place is probably right for us at the end of the season with this setup at the club.

League placing's are irrelevant to this club.
  • Options
    Before the season starts and alphabetically we are safe from relegation.
  • Options

^^^^^ Look everyone - we have found the optimistic Charlton fan!

(I hope you are right, Sam)

Haha, living in hope at all times! I just think once we click and get into the nitty gritty of the league we'll start putting results together, but it won't be consistent enough to bother the top 3-4 clubs. 6th in the league and playoff semifinal heartbreak against Sheffield United is my guess
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'd agree with 12 games, that's a quarter of the season, the players have had time to gel and play together and initial early form would be negated somewhat by then. One thing you have to remember is we have already played the current top 3, however it doesn't help when you play a team at the bottom at home and lose to them. We won't go up automatically, we'll probably scrape into the playoffs

If you don't take notice of the table until 12 games in, then what does it matter that we've played the current top 3? The team in 3rd are only 6 points ahead of the relegation zone so it means nothing.
  • Options
    In the play off season anyone know where we were in the league with 9 games to go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

^^^^^ Look everyone - we have found the optimistic Charlton fan!

(I hope you are right, Sam)

Haha, living in hope at all times! I just think once we click and get into the nitty gritty of the league we'll start putting results together, but it won't be consistent enough to bother the top 3-4 clubs. 6th in the league and playoff semifinal heartbreak against Sheffield United is my guess
    Pah, Sheff Utd are going straight up, none of this play off malarky :smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    With these wankers running the club - never. It's just a joke era that we're in at the moment. Owner and bitch don't take the club seriously so there isn't much point in taking league positions in to consideration.

• Options
    if we scrape into the play off's we will only lose to Millwall so why even bother trying
  • Options
    From the start, but I also took at the spread of points.

Currently we're 2 points above the relegation places, 3 points from the playoffs and 5 points from automatic promotion, so it's looking like a tight league at the moment, with no clear patterns
  • Options

if we scrape into the play off's we will only lose to Millwall so why even bother trying

it is written in the stars that our next victory against Millwall will be in the play-off final 2017
  • Options
    First week of May. ;)
  • Options
    Ten games in.

Derek Ufton always said that by then you have a pretty good idea of where you are likely to end up.
  • Options
    After 12 games last season, Wigan only had 17 points and they won the title so a slow start doesn't necessarily mean doom and gloom.

Going unbeaten from December to mid-April obviously helped them though!!
  • Options
    This side of April you should only take the table seriously when Charlton are top of the league or very close to going to top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    10 - 12 games is when it starts to take shape but there are always team that go on a run (good or bad) that buck the early trend.
  • Options

After 12 games last season, Wigan only had 17 points and they won the title so a slow start doesn't necessarily mean doom and gloom.

Going unbeaten from December to mid-April obviously helped them though!!

Same from Barnsley and Scunthorpe... Both sides were in the relegation zone this time last season yet stormed through the League with Barnsley getting into the Play-Offs and Scunthorpe missing out on them to Barnsley thanks to Goal Difference.
  • Options

it is written in the stars that our next victory against Millwall will be in the play-off final 2017
    It would take something special to get close to the Sunderland final.
    But that probably would
  • Options
    We won't Win the league. I think that has already been established, and we are already simply not good enough.

We didn't prepare ourselves well enough for a true attempt to go and win the division.

If we get 6th spot....fair enough, at least thats something.

Winning the playoffs though? Hmmmm, wouldnt happen.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

May

I eye on where we are and how close we are to catching teams etc. but the League Table is only worth its weight in gold come then
    Other than last year, when we were relegated in April :-)
  • Options

shirty5 said:

May

Other than last year, when we were relegated in April :-)
    Was never meant as a Whoosh but was waiting for someone to point that out ;)
  • Options
    I don't usually start looking at the table until April ... By which time we're relegated
  • Options
    I try to make it to October/November. By that point you've played about 10-12 games, roughly half the league, and you get a good idea of who is going strongly (especially in a league so open as this one). I thought I'd be checking the table more this year, as I did in our League One campaigns in the past where we were chasing promotion, but I haven't because we've had such a mediocre start.
  • Options
    10 games and we'll have an idea if we will be

A) competing top 2
    B) top 6 contenders
    C) mid table also rans (concentrating on the Painting cup or whatever it's called now)
    D) looking over our shoulders

B is my guess
  • Options
    Only when relegation is a mathematical certainty. So a few more weeks yet.