Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

County Championship 2016

Its the last game for all counties and three counties are in the running for being champions...

Somerset,Middx and Yorkshire - and Yorks and Middx are playing each other at Lords.

Middx are 208-5 with Nick Gubbins on 120no - he's a fine young opener who i believe could well open for England in due course.

Somerset are going well on 320-5

Comments

• Would love Middx/Yorkshire to draw and Somerset nick it.
  • Didn't Surrey spend enough money this year then?
  • I only follow County League One
  • If Somerset lose this by one bonus point...
  • I only follow County League One

This thread is about "County League One".
  • MrOneLung said:

Would love Middx/Yorkshire to draw and Somerset nick it.

MrOneLung said:

Would love Middx/Yorkshire to draw and Somerset nick it.

They keep saying it is the way for Somerset to win it. However if both they and Yorkshire win and Somerset get 2 more bonus points then the title is theirs. I think this could be a likelier scenario.
  • I'd love Somerset to win it
  • If i was Middx and Yorkshire , i wouldnt be very happy with Notts , as they are playing a very weakened side ,with 5 players that i dont recognise, including 1 who i assume is Joe Roots brother, Billy Root.
    I would be very pissed off with them
  • Somerset struggled towards the end of the day to get to 322-9.

This is the Notts eleven...
    Steven Mullaney
    Jake Libby
    Tom Moores
    Michael Lumb
    Billy Root
    Samit Patel
    Chris Read(c)(wk)
    Brett Hutton
    Jake Ball
    Imran Tahir
    Matthew Carter

Libby,Moores,Root,Hutton and Carter I have never heard of before (in playing terms) and if Somerset win the trophy and I was Middx or Yorshire, then I would probably be looking for an official complaint to the Country Championship people.

(probably means one or two of them will likely get a century now !)
  • Cmon Middx !
  • Sponsored links:

• Libby and Hutton have been in their first XI all season, Moores has played the last few games, Carter got something like an 11-wicket match haul in a game last season and Root has scored heavily in the seconds
  • Somerset struggled towards the end of the day to get to 322-9.

This is the Notts eleven...
    Steven Mullaney
    Jake Libby
    Tom Moores
    Michael Lumb
    Billy Root
    Samit Patel
    Chris Read(c)(wk)
    Brett Hutton
    Jake Ball
    Imran Tahir
    Matthew Carter

Libby,Moores,Root,Hutton and Carter I have never heard of before (in playing terms) and if Somerset win the trophy and I was Middx or Yorshire, then I would probably be looking for an official complaint to the Country Championship people.

(probably means one or two of them will likely get a century now !)

To be fair Notts are by far the worst team in the CC Div 1 and have won just one match all season - and that win came from the very first game on 10th April - by 3 wickets against Surrey! Six of the current side played in that match and if you add Imran Tahir it isn't that far short. They also only made two changes from the game they lost against Middlesex.

So Notts could legitimately argue that whatever side they put out couldn't be deemed to be much worse than they have all season. They are just a poor side.
  • Somerset 355 all out.

Yorkshire on top with Middlesex now 244-7
  • edited September 2016
    Middx all out 270
  • Yorks 32-2

Lees and Ballance gone "quack quack". Lyth with all 32!!!
  • Make that "quack quack quack" with Gale gone too and 32-3.

Roland-Jones 3-6

Bresnan in at 5 which tells us all we need to know about the batting to come!
  • Yorkshire 32-3. Bizarrely Lyth has all 32 runs, Lees having failed to score in 17 balls, Ballance in 4 and Gale in 2!

Roland-Jones at one end is unplayable by the look of things, with figures of 3-6!

• Yorks 53-4. Lyth plays on to Finn for 43.
  • Cmon Middx !
    Is it on Sky ?
  • Cmon Middx !
    Is it on Sky ?

Yes. They've just said that, with Somerset likely to win, the only way Yorks can be Champions is if they get 350 plus in this innings and of course win the game. But, of course, if Middlesex win this game they will be Champs but, if it's a draw, Somerset will be.

Hope that's clear enough.

Yorks 127-4 at tea
  • Sponsored links:

• And to clarify, if York don't get 300-349 in 110 overs, then Somerset will win by virtue of fewer defeats!
  • Yorkshire 235-6 so 35 behind.

Assuming Somerset win their game (which, unless rain intervenes, they will as they are 332 ahead of Notts with 8 wickets in hand on a "bunsen burner"), Yorkshire need 115 off 41 overs to get enough bonus points and then beat Middlesex to land the Championship. Middlesex just need to win the game. A draw here and Somerset win.
  • The relegation battle is also interesting. Notts are down but who joins them. Hampshire Warwick or Lancs. The latter 2 are playing each other. Hants are in a strong position in their match and almost had Durham looking like they had to follow on. Even so they must be favourites to win. This really puts pressure on the other 2. Warwick batted first and have taken a first innings lead of 67.
    Favourites for relegation now must be Lancs which would be a bit of a shock.
  • Another thing from today is Joe Clarke , who scored 194 for Worcester. Believe me, watch this boy - he is one hell of a good batter, and would expect him to be in England fringes in next year or two.
  • One benefit of uncontested tosses is that it has forced Counties to no longer prepare wickets that will solely suit seamers. As a result, spinners Patel (66) and Leach (61) are the top wicket takers in Division 1.

Leach's team mate and fellow team mate, Dominic Bess, has had an unbelievable start to his professional career. In his first CC game against Warwickshire two weeks ago he took 8-59 in the match. In this game he has taken 5-43 so far but, more to the point, he scored 41 coming in at 10 and shared a partnership of 43 for the final wicket with Leach from 322 to 365 - and beyond the all important 350 mark that gave the point that might prove meant that Somerset sneak the Championship.
  • My impression, is that there seems to be an impressive amount of young talent around at the moment
  • My impression, is that there seems to be an impressive amount of young talent around at the moment

Unfortunately not that much of it is coming through at Kent :-(
  • What a great knock by Bresnan, Yorkshire seemed out of the game when he came in at 32-3, but he's now 102no and Yorkshire lead by 32 runs
  • Middlesex drop a couple of crucial catches allowing Yorkshire to get to 302-6 and just 48 short now of that crucial mark of 350.

Bresnan could never be said to be a classy act but he certainly has Yorkshire grit in abundance. He is now on 102* and along with Rafiq (53* and only playing because Rashid refused to) have put on an undefeated 98 for the 7th wicket.
  • Really don't understand why Somerset haven't declared yet. They are currently 263-4 and 490 ahead. Only time and the ability to bowl Notts out can stop them from winning.