Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

He ain't heavy ... he's my brother

Can't see that this has been posted yet, but I saw this yesterday and thought it was truly inspirational. These two fellas are (normally) like machines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37402716

Have to say though, I thought the South African's celebrations were a bit over the top in the circumstances, given that he would likely have only come third if the fella hadn't blown up like that. Hardly a reason to go crackers.

Comments

• Meant to post this yesterday myself... Was brilliant to see in the modern world of Sport!!
  • I thought this was going to be a thread about Large and Golfie ...
  • edited September 2016
    Other than it generally being amazing, my thoughts were:

1. The South African surely knows he wasn't going to win this, so why the big celebrations? Cracked me up.
    2. These guys are absolutely different level to be able to push themselves that far that they're in that state at the end of it. I wonder how much earlier 99% of us would have given up (if in theory we were in the same physical condition).
    3. I wonder how close Jonny was to actually dying there? Never seen someone that exhausted, especially an athlete that does triathlons for a living.
  • Absolutely brilliant.
  • _MrDick said:

I thought this was going to be a thread about Large and Golfie ...

Or Russell Slade and Dave Mehmet.
  • edited September 2016
    The Wombles should also be embarrassed with themselves.......celebrating a last gasp win after losing for nearly the whole match ;)

• This one is a better finish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

They were certainly determined to finish.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't understand why the saffa is getting stick, I thought his celebrations were quite muted for someone winning the grand final and he turned to applaud the brothers in once he was over the line

there's a good chance he would have won anyway, Jonny obviously wasn't going to and in a sprint between Alistair and Schoeman it could've gone either way
  • Had the opportunity to trip the South African up as he passed - now that would have been impressive!
  • _MrDick said:

He's fat, bald and called Russell, so nothing like me at all.
  • _MrDick said:

What about if he was fat, bald, and called Dave?
  • Off_it said:

Can't see that this has been posted yet, but I saw this yesterday and thought it was truly inspirational. These two fellas are (normally) like machines.

Have to say though, I thought the South African's celebrations were a bit over the top in the circumstances, given that he would likely have only come third if the fella hadn't blown up like that. Hardly a reason to go crackers.

Why wasn't the knackered one disqualified for getting assistance, as Derek Redmond was (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34279717)? Is it because the aid was from another competitor?
  • _MrDick said:

What about if he was fat, bald, and called Dave?
    Even less (my real name's Russell)
  • Off_it said:

Why wasn't the knackered one disqualified for getting assistance, as Derek Redmond was (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34279717)? Is it because the aid was from another competitor?
    Exactly that reason... the Triathlon governing body have a rule which doesnt stop the athletes helping each other

Apparently it the rule started from when they had trouble reaching the zip on the back of their wetsuits when they get out of the water
  • It's a great example of sport at its best but what I like most is Alistair's reaction; when he saw the state of his brother-most would be concerned for their welfare; he just mouths "for f*cks sake" and grabs him without even thinking twice then in the interview afterwards he moaned about him not pacing himself properly!
  • This one is a better finish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

I've had a few Saturday nights like that
  • Off_it said:

the Spanish did put in an appeal, presumably because technically he did get momentary assistance from the official just before Alistair grabbed him. thankfully common sense prevailed and the appeal was thrown out.

I think triathlon, like cycling, allows for common sense to be used; if that had been an athletics event under UKA/IAAF rules he would have been thrown out for leaning on the official
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely outstanding. Two brothers sticking together whatever. Truly inspirational.
  • Great story, but the best bit is that Alistair is clearly still in 'Race Mode' even whilst helping his brother finish the race. You see him look over his shoulder a couple of times to check for people catching him. What a pair of absolute beasts those two boys are!! I bet you that they give that Saffa an absolute flogging the next time they compete against him as well, I thought his celebrations were way over the top.
  • Great story, but the best bit is that Alistair is clearly still in 'Race Mode' even whilst helping his brother finish the race. You see him look over his shoulder a couple of times to check for people catching him. What a pair of absolute beasts those two boys are!! I bet you that they give that Saffa an absolute flogging the next time they compete against him as well, I thought his celebrations were way over the top.

i wonder if there had been two competitors about to pass them if he would have carried on with his brother or or just thought 'fuck this, no point in us both missing out on a podium finish' and dropped him on his face?
  • My understanding is that Johnny pushes himself to physical exhaustion regularly which is a credit to his determination, after the Olympics he was assisted by paramedics, the same as a couple of the world series races before it.

A great moment to see in any sport, and between two brothers made it extra special.

However, had Alistair been in the running for world champion, may things been much different? ;)
  • Q: If you are at a party, how do you find out who does triathlons?

A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

I find vegans are similar... :smiley:

You can tell by the smell.

Or a Vegan triathlon competitor, with the three events being 2 hours of corduroy weaving, followed by a 2 placard holding protest sprint, with a difficult philosophical blog post race to the finish
  • Huskaris said:

Q: If you are at a party, how do you find out who does triathlons?

Or a Vegan triathlon competitor, with the three events being 2 hours of corduroy weaving, followed by a 2 placard holding protest sprint, with a difficult philosophical blog post race to the finish
    Followed by fanny hair weaving if they're female.
  • edited September 2016
    Despite taking himself to the very edge of exhaustion and potential death he still manages a cheeky look at the blonde with the low cut white top just before he is pushed over the line (on the slow motion end of the video)

There is always just a little in reserve.