Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Landlord Advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just out of interest, was the deposit held by a third party? If not, i would recommend it in future. Has saved me from a stupid greedy bitch of a landlord in the past.

If they turn up on your doorstep or feel they are harassing you, call the police. If they keep calling block them. They signed it off, game over.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

As a landlord to many I can confirm that, so long as you have received your deposit back from your former landlord/estate agent, your tenancy has ended and you no longer have any responsibility for the upkeep of the property

The landlord should now take up any issues with the estate agent if they didn't authorise the release of the funds to you.

In a nut she'll, f**k em.

Is this your way of saying "I am considerably richer than y'all" smily windy thing.
    Far from it. More a case of passing on my experience. Yields on properties aren't that great, especially if said properties cause you no end of maintenance work. Couple that with rising ground rents and service charges and what's left isn't much to write home about.
    I'm not disputing your circumstances BBW, but the money I pay in rent I cannot believe MY landlords aren't making an absolute killing. With interest rates at what they are, (crudely) I would've thought being a landlord was an absolute gravy train
    Depends when they got on the graveyard train and how they have rode it.
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Just out of interest, was the deposit held by a third party? If not, i would recommend it in future. Has saved me from a stupid greedy bitch of a landlord in the past.

If they turn up on your doorstep or feel they are harassing you, call the police. If they keep calling block them. They signed it off, game over.

You do have to be careful with the third party option, too, as there have been horror stories about people not getting their deposit back from the third party. I always didn't pay the rent equal to the deposit at the end of a tenancy, that way I wasn't owed anything so didn't have to worry about getting it returned.
  • Options
    What a piss take.

Advise him to go and insert his erect penis in his Mother's anal passage.

That should make your position perfectly clear.
  • Options
    It's a bit unfair on his poor mother though.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

So I have moved house in the past couple of weeks, and have had nothing but problems with the old landlord and estate agent that fronted him.

At first, we were told that the incoming tenants wanted any furniture we were leaving behind, and as we were looking to replace it ask anyway that was fine. We also used professional cleaning products to give the place a going over and the estate agent came round to check everything was fine.

He said it was and we'd be due the full deposit within 24 hours

48 hours past and no deposit was forthcoming, when we contacted him again he then claimed we needed to get rid of the furniture, as the tenants didn't want it and it's an unfurnished flat. So, slightly bemused, me and my partner went over, took apart the flimsy shit we left there and threw it all away, and even cleaned again just to make sure it was hunky dory.

We then get another text a day later saying the blinds to the windows were dusty (baring in mind the place hasn't been lived in for 2 weeks now and these Venetian blinds were a complete dust magnet) and the landlord's wife wasn't happy as she had to clean them herself. We said take it out of the deposit if you want, as cleaning products and labour for the cleaning of 3 window blinds is hardly going to break the bank.

Then after another 2 days the estate agent tells us everything is fine, thanks for being reliable tenants and sends us the deposit.

Now, today, 2 days afterwards, he has just text me to tell me the landlord is unhappy with the cleanliness of the oven and expects me to get someone to come over and professionally deep clean it...

I have my deposit back
    I have no keys to the old flat
    I have already sorted out my new place and don't need a reference or anything from the old estate agent
    They had already inspected the entire flat twice and said all is fine

So what should I do? Technically, I don't have to do anything, right? We are no longer his tenants, I have my money and we don't have a legal contract or anything with them any more. Is the landlord and his wife just trying to take the piss? Any advice would help!

Correct. Do nothing. If the agent rings again, either don't answer your phone or tell him you have your deposit so it's not your problem.
  • Options
    So I contacted him, said I have checked my legal position on this and have decided not to give any money or time towards the cleaning of the oven, as they didn't mention it in the two prior inspections and as I already have my deposit I am no longer the tenant or a client of them. They responded that they understand my position, but will now seek to pass on information of what condition the oven was in to my new landlord (who happens to be L&Q).

I responded again

"If you feel the need to point that out to them then go ahead. However, L&Q provided me with a detailed inventory and guidelines regarding the upkeep of the property, including contacts for various fixtures and fittings, where I can purchase the same paint/flooring that they used in the event of damage and have a dedicated company that professionally inspect all items within the inventory at the beginning and end of each contact taken out. I am no estate agent or landlord myself, but perhaps in the future it would be wise of you to undertake similar practice, as it's a lot more professional than you taking pictures on your phone and texting them to me 2 days after relinquishing the deposit.
    I am sure L&Q would also like details on how prompt we were with all our rental payments, and how we put up with no hot water for 8 days last year when you couldn't get someone out to us as 'your man' was on holiday at the time. But let's not get petty over things, right? All the best, Sam"

I text him this, still no reply, funnily enough
  • Options
    If you've got the full deposit back then you are in the rare and enviable position of being able to tell your landlord and estate agent exactly what you think of them. Don't let us down now
  • Options
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but wondered if anyone can give me some advice. I've been renting my flat for 3 years and just about to sign for a renewal for another year next month. Terms have been agreed, contract has just been emailed, but they've also added a £120 Tenancy Renewal Fee. Is this legal? Or even fair? I can't afford to pay such a fee and bemused to why I've never paid it before. It's through a lettings agency too so this isn't from my landlord, any advice will be more than appreciated
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    tell them to poke it

edit....I'm replying to the original post as it's the first time I've seen this thread !

the latest request just sounds like an 'admin fee' the lettings agency are trying to impose, suggest asking them why and to justify it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017

Sorry to bring up an old thread but wondered if anyone can give me some advice. I've been renting my flat for 3 years and just about to sign for a renewal for another year next month. Terms have been agreed, contract has just been emailed, but they've also added a £120 Tenancy Renewal Fee. Is this legal? Or even fair? I can't afford to pay such a fee and bemused to why I've never paid it before. It's through a lettings agency too so this isn't from my landlord, any advice will be more than appreciated

I had a similar charge last year. Me and the missus had agreed with our landlord to extend our tenancy for 6 months and the agency demanded £118 for admin fees. I reluctantly paid it but that was before the 2016 Autumn budget. I'm sure that budget abolished letting agents fees?
  • Options
    The fee will be nothing to do with the landlord and everything to do with the agency ripping you off. Do the agency manage the property as well? If not, approach the landlord, tell him/her they are trying to stitch you up and do what we used to do - photocopy the original agreement with the dates blanked out. Add the new dates in and sign it (both parties). Did this for 4 years without any issues.
  • Options

I had a similar charge last year. Me and the missus had agreed with our landlord to extend our tenancy for 6 months and the agency demanded £118 for admin fees. I reluctantly paid it but that was before the 2016 Autumn budget. I'm sure that budget abolished letting agents fees?
    It did. Sort of. At least that's what Hammond would like you to have believed. But like a lot of new legislation it goes out to "consultation" first. Fees won't actually be abolished any time soon. (Standing here on the outside, it seems to me that the Landlord should pick up all such "fees" as they are in a better position to challenge them. They can then adjust the actual rent accordingly.)
  • Options
    Tell the agency to poke it. They are paid by the owner not you the tenant. Threaten not to move out to stop paying rent.

It will take the agency at least three months to get rid of you if you just stay in the property after the end of the current tenancy agreement
  • Options
    In reality all Agents charge something like this. In the event that the Landlord is not paying them to extend this (and he might be) they have a right to be paid for arranging the new AST, even if it's only a basic agreement it will need to be edited and checked. I know £120 seems a lot of money (especially if the Landlord is paying the same) but they are allowed to be paid for doing the work. You need to remember that if the Landlord decides to do his only AST then if it is not legally binding it offers no protection to him or you or both.

I believe the new rules apply to upfront fees that can be c. £500 per tenant to be checked. They are never going to remove a business's ability to charge for providing a service or the business will just stop doing it.

I would approach the Landlord and tell him you are willing to sign the new AST but not to pay the fee then he can either pay it or he can get the AST done himself and post it to you directly.

However, you need to recognise that if you don't sign it and pay the fee the ultimate sanction is that he will evict you and find someone else to rent the property which might, well, cost you both a lot more money in the short term.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Speak to the landlord to see if he will agree to a 'rolling' monthly contract, basically you can do this after the existing one expires without charge, the landlord should just advise the agent. the fee is for the new AST and they all charge the landlord and tenant. They will always try to make money for these scenarios. If increase is involved, just adjust your standing order. If you have good relationship with the landlord it is normally this simple, I have 2 tenants I'm happy with on a rolling contract
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Speak to the landlord to see if he will agree to a 'rolling' monthly contract, basically you can do this after the existing one expires without charge, the landlord should just advise the agent. the fee is for the new AST and they all charge the landlord and tenant. They will always try to make money for these scenarios. If increase is involved, just adjust your standing order. If you have good relationship with the landlord it is normally this simple, I have 2 tenants I'm happy with on a rolling contract
    Good luck!

Absolutely agree with this. Always revert to a rolling contract basis and never involve the agents as all they will do is charge. Speak to your landlord who may not even realise they can continue on this basis.

I would never risk losing a good tenant over something like this as it is so expensive and troublesome to find a replacement.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Good luck!

Absolutely agree with this. Always revert to a rolling contract basis and never involve the agents as all they will do is charge. Speak to your landlord who may not even realise they can continue on this basis.

I would never risk losing a good tenant over something like this as it is so expensive and troublesome to find a replacement.
    If you do not sign you automatically go onto a rolling contract. The landlord can increase the rent he charges at anytime. If you sign a new agreement it does protect the amount of rent you have to pay for the length of the contract.

If you are a reliable tenant, the landlord may well pay the fee for you as it does protect you both. Have a conversation. I am sure it will be easy to resolve.
  • Options
    All about trust - from both sides. Have that conversation.....