Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gazza

Comments

• Sad video. Doesn’t surprise me though, see him all the time around Poole/Bournemouth off his nut.

Grass
      No. Coke
  • He's still alive isn't he?

I haven't seen the clip.

I just sort of in the end, think...

Paul, you have a choice. If you want to get pissed up all the time, go ahead.

If you don't want to...ok, might be really tough considering you have a lot of mental health issues....

But quite frankly, you are just 1 person. 

Life is really sh*t for a lot of people.

You are still alive....so that's at least something.

If you can, just enjoy the rest of the time you have left, Gaz.

You are like a YOYO.

One minute you are fine... apparently clean as a whistle. Piers Morgan interviews you and everyone gives you a clap.

A month later you are on the front of the SUN newspaper (which is never a good thing they are just parasite Journos)

I don't think you're every really going to win at this.

However, you are Paul Gascoigne....and there is certainly only one of you.

So....Just carry on.
  • Controversy time.  Always felt he was a tad overrated.  Never did a great deal after Spurs and Italia 90.  Brilliantly skillfull but not a real rolls royce like say, Pirlo or Zidane who were like a whole team in one player.  I felt David Platt did more for England, so was always more about the person than the footballer
  • Controversy time.  Always felt he was a tad overrated.  Never did a great deal after Spurs and Italia 90.  Brilliantly skillfull but not a real rolls royce like say, Pirlo or Zidane who were like a whole team in one player.  I felt David Platt did more for England, so was always more about the person than the footballer
    Yeah all true, but there's no Platt in me, and yet, if honest, there's a bit of all the Gazza vices in me. It's just that I had the fortune not to have his questionable fame...
    I think the topic at hand here is a bit more important than the man’s footballing credentials. It’s a bloke seemingly fighting for his life against a terrible illness every passing day.
  • When I saw it a first I couldn't understand him. Only when somebody typed what he said could I make it out.

Tbh I don't think he has ever really ever got over being booked in the 1990 World Cup Final. that being his 2nd of the that World Cup meaning he'd miss the final if we got there even though we didn't in the end. Also I don't think he has ever really got over the way he had to leave to go to to hospital during the 1991 FA Cup Final with that terrible knee injury meaning he missed Spurs's celebrations. And I don't think he has ever really got over being left out of the 1998 World Cup England squad.

I don't think he has ever been the most stable person but I do think the above events in his career have made him worse.
  • edited June 2019
    When I saw it a first I couldn't understand him. Only when somebody typed what he said could I make it out.

Tbh I don't think he has ever really ever got over being booked in the 1990 World Cup Final. that being his 2nd of the that World Cup meaning he'd miss the final if we got there even though we didn't in the end. Also I don't think he has ever really got over the way he had to leave to go to to hospital during the 1991 FA Cup Final with that terrible knee injury meaning he missed Spurs's celebrations. And I don't think he has ever really got over being left out of the 1998 World Cup England squad.

I don't think he has ever been the most stable person but I do think the above events in his career have made him worse.
    Yes, everybody felt after 91 and his impending move to Italy he would become one of the world greats, didnt really work out and came back and played for rangers and Middlesbrough, his only real moment of magic being the goal against Scotland in 96.  A legend for England but world class?  On his day maybe.  Not much of a trophy cabinet either

I mean, David Beckham got all the plaudits in his career because of who he was but Scholes was the real star
  • I wonder if Gazza would have done better as a Footballer if he had the right Manager to keep him under contract

Ferguson is the main man you can think of back then who may really have helped him to focus a lot more
  • edited June 2019
    I'm no expert, but surely his illness transcends his occupation - whether he was a world famous footballer or a milkman, he would have ended up in the same place. For every George Best and Paul Gascoigne, there are tens of thousands of others. For every yellow card in a WC semi final and cruciate injury at Wembley, there's a million other daily life experiences.

The difference is that Gascoigne's situation means he is front page, whereas for most others its hidden. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Gazza doesn't help himself - has wasted a lot of support.
    He's got an illness, sometimes support isn't enough.
    He has to take some responsibility - he's not completely without choices however difficult things are. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Controversy time.  Always felt he was a tad overrated.  Never did a great deal after Spurs and Italia 90.  Brilliantly skillfull but not a real rolls royce like say, Pirlo or Zidane who were like a whole team in one player.  I felt David Platt did more for England, so was always more about the person than the footballer
    Injuries (and alcohol) ruined him though. The cup final where he did his knee, then i think he broke his leg at Lazio. 
    He was superb at Rangers and obviously there was Euro 96, but he could've had a much better career given how talented he was.
    He was astounding in our WC qualifying campaign for France '98 often winning games single handed. 
  • I wonder if Gazza would have done better as a Footballer if he had the right Manager to keep him under contract

Ferguson is the main man you can think of back then who may really have helped him to focus a lot more
    I honestly think people diminish the very serious mental health issues that Gaza suffers from, which began in childhood, when they say that a different football manager might have made a meaningful difference. Ferguson was a good manager, not a mental health expert.
  • Ferguson also couldn't do much for Ravel Morrison. If the player isn't focused off the pitch, then ultimately there's not that much a manager can do. They can try to keep them in line but they can't watch them 24/7.
  • PopIcon said:
    He has to take some responsibility - he's not completely without choices however difficult things are. 
    He's an alcoholic with serious mental health issues. If you think he can just stop drinking and get better then you're a fool.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    He's an alcoholic with serious mental health issues. If you think he can just stop drinking and get better then you're a fool.
    I didn't say that but he's still capable of making decisions/choices - to absolve him of any responsibility is insulting.

He's had far more access to support than most people get. 

• PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    This is a very interesting and relevant argument that revolves around a lot of different things and similar topics.

How do we know how another person actually feels....if we are not actually that person?

"Shut up and get over it!"

"Stop being so lazy"

"Why! Do you behave like that....when it's easy enough for ME to just get on with things!"

You get the picture.

I don't really warm to Paul Gascoigne that much. I think quite little of him, if I'm completely honest.

I feel like I'm in the wrong for looking down on him though.

I haven't lived his life. From his point of view and his perspective. It might be absolutely awful?

Only drink and drugs can take the pain away?

I don't know.

What I do know is....is that he might think quite little of himself.
    Maybe he didn't have a good upbringing and it's come back to bite him hard at older age?

We just do not know.

That is also why I think privacy is very important. Social media and public appearances will not help him at all.

I don't think that the man is liked and or loved by the people that SHOULD be there for him.

Not just some celebrity that tweets about him and wishing him well....or another ex footballer.
  • Dave2l said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    This is a very interesting and relevant argument that revolves around a lot of different things and similar topics.

How do we know how another person actually feels....if we are not actually that person?

"Shut up and get over it!"

"Stop being so lazy"

"Why! Do you behave like that....when it's easy enough for ME to just get on with things!"

You get the picture.

I don't really warm to Paul Gascoigne that much. I think quite little of him, if I'm completely honest.

I feel like I'm in the wrong for looking down on him though.

I haven't lived his life. From his point of view and his perspective. It might be absolutely awful?

Only drink and drugs can take the pain away?

I don't know.

What I do know is....is that he might think quite little of himself.
    Maybe he didn't have a good upbringing and it's come back to bite him hard at older age?

We just do not know.

That is also why I think privacy is very important. Social media and public appearances will not help him at all.

I don't think that the man is liked and or loved by the people that SHOULD be there for him.

Not just some celebrity that tweets about him and wishing him well....or another ex footballer.
    Gazza won't get any privacy and as you say social media doesn't help.

• Gazza does live in the public eye, he's a contributor to talk shows, does interviews and was doing a tour with Vinny Jones, hardly a recluse.  Can't milk publicity one minute then squeal about privacy the next
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    I didn't say that but he's still capable of making decisions/choices - to absolve him of any responsibility is insulting.

He's had far more access to support than most people get. 

Are you referring to social media? 
    Listen to his contemporaries (like Merson, Butcher, Robson, Waddle and Lineker), and they will all tell you that Gazza was a different class - for a period from around 89-91 he was probably the best player in Europe.

Due to his own stupidity and bad luck, there is no doubt that he never fulfilled his potential to the full, but he was a phenomenal player at his peak - untouchable on his day.

Going back many years he came off the bench in the first half for Newcastle at Selhurst and ran the game like a veteran - have never seen a more gifted English player, and doubt I ever will. 
  • he is trouble now for singing fuck the pope and the ira out in a rangers supporters bar in benidorm. 

whilst i loved every time he donned the 3 lions the bloke is turning into a bit of an embarassment

replace the word pope for allah and there would be calls for his head. 
  • Sure the video will do the rounds sooner or later
  • he is trouble now for singing fuck the pope and the ira out in a rangers supporters bar in benidorm. 

whilst i loved every time he donned the 3 lions the bloke is turning into a bit of an embarassment

There'll be enough calls for his head from this alone mate.
  • whilst i have no trouble what so ever abusing the muderous cnuts which were the ira, the pope line i take slight offence at 
  • Sadly it's only a matter of time before he's found face down.

I wish he had people around him that could assist as opposed to hangers-on and idiots egging him on
  • edited June 2019
    whilst i have no trouble what so ever abusing the muderous cnuts which were the ira, the pope line i take slight offence at 

If you find that offensive don't go down to Lewes in early November. I was at a bonfire night around there 6 or 7 years ago where they dressed a man up as the pope, put him on a plinth, chanted 'what do we do with the Pope, burn him' and then the crowd of several hundred threw firecrackers at him. Some on here probably see it as a hate crime but I thought it was great (there's a specific historical context down there). 
  • whilst i have no trouble what so ever abusing the muderous cnuts which were the ira, the pope line i take slight offence at 

If you find that offensive don't go down to Lewes in early November. I was at a bonfire night around there 6 or 7 years ago where they dressed a man up as the pope, put him on a plinth, chanted 'what do we do with the Pope, burn him' and then the crowd of several hundred threw firecrackers at him. Personally I thought it was great. 
    Well that’s just moronic and as I said if that was an effigy of any other religious person would be uproar, a comic book and a terrorist attack spring to mind.

the en mass chanting of fuck the pope by pissed up northerners at England games does get a little tedious. 

Somebody who Mrs Otto knows was at a charity golf night in Alicante last night - Gazza was there and didn’t cover himself in glory there either.