Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Business critical question - need help before 5.20pm if possible please

I work in a company of 8 people. We took someone on this week who has very bad body odour. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt given the weather, however the smell persists and the women in the office are now complaining.

I'm the c*** that drew the short straw and have to tell him. How do I do this in the most professional way. He seems like a nice guy, there is no alterior motive, he just smells

Please could anyone put forward any sensible advice here, preferably prior to 5.20 when I plan to sit down with him

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Casually ask them what deodorant brand they use in conversation, and when they reply tell them that brand sucks and actually accentuates body odour, and recommend them another brand.

Or stick post it notes on their desk saying you smell and draw stink lines around him on any photos in the office.

There's no easy way to be honest
  • I had to do something similar , I found it was best to be honest and do it in a friendly way as a sort of advice not an instruction, that always leaves another step if he does not listen to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Google this, it might help.

How to tell someone they smell bad(And other Awkward Conversations.)
  • Have to agree with Henry we had a case at a firm i used to work for and the straight forward approach worked
  • edited September 2016

https://www.lancashirebusinessview.co.uk/tell-employee-smell-51094/

Ask the employee if they have any medical problem that you need to be aware of; there are medical conditions which can affect how much a person sweats (hyperhidrosis) and what their sweat smells like (Fish Odour Syndrome).

Ask the employee if there is anything in their personal life which could be causing the problem (finding out an employee has lost their home or is living somewhere with no washing facilities is likely to provoke a different reaction from most employers than someone just not bothering to shower).

That's rich, coming from the 'Lancashire Business Review'. Most Northerners absolutely fucking stink.
    lol! Erm Leroy... After your admission on the thread "If you could forget some things in this life..." your being a bit of a c**t again ;)
  • What does he smell of?
  • Have had to do this myself. No real easy way but make sure you do it away from the rest of team and say something along the lines of "without wishing to cause offence, we thought you should be made aware that the team have noticed that you have a strong body odour. Apologies if there's a medical reason for this but we've all noticed it, is there anything I/we can do to help"

Try and be as sensitive as you can but you will need to get the message across.

unless he's a spanner or a Nigel.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    I was in the same situation re a girl at work who had a body odour problem.

I sat down in private and told her honestly that I had been asked to speak to her on behalf of the office.

I genuinely told her in an honest, but most caring way I possibly could have.

She upped and left our office for the one at the other end of the high street and never returned.

A shame or a right result, depending on your viewpoint.

PS sometimes I think people don't shower or bathe, but just wash themselves down with a wet flannel, it's often what it smells like. Perhaps they don't have access to a shower or bath it's not impossible.
  • iainment said:

This type of thread shows there are some here who know how to deal with these issues empathetically.

And some who are clueless when it comes to dealing with people.

It also shows that there are some here who know how to have fun and post light-hearted comments on day to day issues.

And some who take life way too seriously and need to lighten up
  • Cheers all. Will go with @DaveMehmet advice

Completely agree with everything re: doing it away from anyone else. I've never been good at management but you never have a sensitive conversation other than one to one
  • Just been called into my colleagues office for a quick "chat" at 5:20pm. Not sure why, but getting fucking paranoid now!

Arghhhhh man... You've stolen it from me, was going to do this @ 5:30!!! :(
  • There was a bloke in my gym, perfectly presentable looking, but as soon as he started running on the treadmill he let off a vile pungent smell. It was so odd. You couldn't be in the cardio room at the same time... as soon as I saw his ginger mop walk in most walked out.

• I was in he same situation re a girl at work who had a body odour problem.

I sat down in private and told her honestly that I had been asked to speak to her on behalf of the office.

I genuinely told her in an honest, but most caring way I possibly could have.

She upped and left for our office for the one at the other end of the high street and never returned.

A shame or a right result, depending on your viewpoint.

PS sometimes I think people don't shower or bathe, but just wash themselves down with a wet flannel, it's often what it smells like. Perhaps they don't have access to a shower or bath it's not impossible.

I understand someone being offended and a little hurt / embarrassed at being told this but when you go to work you've got to think of the people around you and what they've got to put up with for the majority of the day.

I'll never forget one moment it sort of happened to me... I went out to a Thai restaurant one night and the food really smelt on me, didnt get a chance to shower / bath the next day as overslept so had to go into the office with it still smelling... I didnt know though that others could smell it and was only made aware when a girl opposite me turned to the person next to her and asked if she could smell something strong... Was really embarrassed as knew it was me (Didnt say anything) but made sure it never happened again