Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pub names

edited September 2016 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
The bar snacks thread got me thinking, what's inn a name? Any great pub names you've come across in the past? Or does anyone have a name they'd want to call their pub?

Working on Fleet Street obviously Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese immediately springs to mind, and then there's Dirty Dicks over in Bishopsgate.

If I had my own pub it would celebrate all things pork and be called the Pig and Peacock, which is inspired by a trip to Maryon Wilson Park, where I once saw a peacock standing on the back of a pig in the animal enclosure there.

What names have you seen/would like to see?

Comments

• The Cockwell Inn
    Tillet
    Herts
  • the hairy lemon
    dublin
  • a village called Pratts Bottom near Orpington missed a trick. they're pub is called 'The Bull Inn' but in a nearby village the pub is called 'The Cock Inn'. Oh how things could of been..
  • The Millers' Full Of It Tonight
  • Apparently The Cock Inn is one of the most popular pub names around.
  • How far is the Cock Inn?

I'm here all week...unfortunately :wink:
  • A pub in Kettering I used to frequent was called The Three Cocks Inn!
  • The Bush Blackbird and Thrush sounds like a recipe for disaster but it is actually a really decent little pub :smile:
  • The Frog and Bucket was a great name and a great pub/restaurant located just past Ide Hill, Sevenoaks. Converted to a private house some years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• 3blokes said:

The Bush Blackbird and Thrush sounds like a recipe for disaster but it is actually a really decent little pub :smile:

It sounds like tautology, considering that a blackbird is a thrush
  • edited September 2016
    The Hung Drawn and Quartered points to a happy vibe.

I also always liked The Old Success Inn in Cornwall.

Then, just to revive useless fact of the day, I'll mention the common pub name The Chequers.

This has nothing to do with a game of draughts. Years ago, when many pubs used to brew their own ale, they often had one or more Wild Service Trees (Sorbus torminalis) in their yard. The fruit - called chequers - was used to flavour ale in much the same way that hops are now. The bark of old trees also has a chequered pattern.

They are now quite rare.
  • One in Reading "The Upin Arms".

Sadly it's an indian restaurant now.
  • edited September 2016
    The Bonny Cravat at Woodchurch is the only example I've encountered of that name.

Our own @Riviera of course has the Long Pond, another name I've not previously encountered.

In short I like weird unique pub names.
  • The Holy Inadequate - Stoke
  • MrLargo said:

Don't know why, but always seem to find myself drawn towards pubs called The Flying Scotsman, The Griffin and Browns.

Do any of those pubs still exist?

"A pound in the pot at all times". Those were the days.
  • Sponsored links:

• West Malling .. The Startled Saint
  • The Rat and Squirel for Crossbars on glorious day of our liberation.
  • The Pyrotechnist's Arms - Nunhead
  • sam3110 said:

The bar snacks thread got me thinking, what's inn a name? Any great pub names you've come across in the past? Or does anyone have a name they'd want to call their pub?

Working on Fleet Street obviously Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese immediately springs to mind, and then there's Dirty Dicks over in Bishopsgate.

If I had my own pub it would celebrate all things pork and be called the Pig and Peacock, which is inspired by a trip to Maryon Wilson Park, where I once saw a peacock standing on the back of a pig in the animal enclosure there.

this is a bit of a long shot but, you're not a muslim are you.
  • edited September 2016
    The Fanny on the Hill.
    Ye Grapes.
    The Bishop's Finger.
    The Nobody Inn.

If I had a pub I'd call it The Bear and Pickle after two of my nicknames for my kids.
  • sam3110 said:

this is a bit of a long shot but, you're not a muslim are you.
    However did you guess? Every part of the pig would be on the menu, from scratchings and pig ear crisps, to pigs trotter soup and pig snout terrines, deep fried pig tail and devilled kidneys, and everything in between.
  • The frog and nightgown in between Horsham and Crawley
  • The Whippet inn
  • edited September 2016
    In the camp site at Le Mans a few years ago, a group of blokes had set up a bar in the campsite called The Wankers Arms. They'd obviously gone to some expense to get the sign properly made up.
  • I'd call my pub "The land of the blind", and wear a crown and an eye patch when on duty.