Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dubai

Thinking of heading out there for a 4 day break early next year.

Can anyone say where's best to stay and preferably recommend a hotel.

Comments

• Been on business quite a few times and always stay at Jumeirah Emirates Towers
  • I've been twice.

It's always seemed quite expensive to me. We stayed a cab away from the beach strip which was cheaper particularly over the weekend when the business hotels are less empty.

It depends whether you are taking kids and how old they are. My ex went with my son after we broke up on a deal but the hotel had virtually no kids facilities. There are a few that do though but aren't the cheapest.

What time of year are you thinking?
  • edited September 2016
    I stayed at the Dubai Marriott Harbour Hotel & Suites last June.

It was fantastic and not too expensive either.

The swimming pool is on the 5th floor up and because the hotel is so tall it blocks out the direct sunlight somewhat. Very handy considering how hot it was out there.

The hotel is in a good location. The water park is about a half hours drive away as is the mall. There's also a beach close by and the Marina which our hotel room was looking over.
  • I've been to Dubai once - a 4 night stopover on my way back to Perth from London last September. As impressive as some of the buildings are, I found Dubai a soulless, expensive place and would never go back. I'm probably on my own with that opinion...........
  • I've been to Dubai once - a 4 night stopover on my way back to Perth from London last September. As impressive as some of the buildings are, I found Dubai a soulless, expensive place and would never go back. I'm probably on my own with that opinion...........

Nope, me too.

Ditto

No. Same opinion here.
  • Had a week at the Atlantis on the Palm with the family when the kids were 16 as a kind of last big family holiday and it was truly amazing, expensive but worth every penny
    Also did 6 nights all inclusive just me and the wife at the Jabeel Ali resort which is a bit out of town near the port and industry and I must admit on the ride from the airport I wondered what we had done but again a fantastic resort good value for money and a good shuttle service back into main centre Dubai

Going back next year to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary (married young) and looking at hotels/resorts so any other ideas anyone has will be welcome
  • Thought it was like canary wharf with a beach
    Never again
  • Danepak said:

I've been to Dubai once - a 4 night stopover on my way back to Perth from London last September. As impressive as some of the buildings are, I found Dubai a soulless, expensive place and would never go back. I'm probably on my own with that opinion...........

No. Same opinion here.
    Same, I've been a couple of times because a friend lives over there - when he moves home I doubt I'll ever go again.

Spend the absolute fortune that you will on a trip to Dubai going somewhere far more interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

Ditto
  • Been to other parts of the UAE (Ras al Khaimah) and spent some time in Dubai. Same as a lot of posters - once you've marvelled at the waste of money, it's a bit 'meh'. Much more fun / better value / interesting places to go in the world imho
  • A mate of mine who lived in Dubai described it as, "Singapore in the desert - but even more boring."

There is just something so artificial about the place, its just a bit too try hard, certainly a lot more show than substance.
  • Really dont see the attraction of Dubai or any Middle East location.

Hundreds of other places I'd rather visit for a beach than go out there which would include Bognor Regis
  • Although all that being said, Friday Brunch is pretty good!

You are not, I fully agree - only go for business and would never go for a holiday.

One recommendation is for the restaurants down by the Marina.
  • se9addick said:

Danepak said:

I've been to Dubai once - a 4 night stopover on my way back to Perth from London last September. As impressive as some of the buildings are, I found Dubai a soulless, expensive place and would never go back. I'm probably on my own with that opinion...........

No. Same opinion here.
    Same, I've been a couple of times because a friend lives over there - when he moves home I doubt I'll ever go again.

Spend the absolute fortune that you will on a trip to Dubai going somewhere far more interesting.
    We spent 4 days there (en route to Copenhagen from Melbourne). On day 3, my wife said to me 'You do realise that we've spent 3 days in shopping malls, right?'
    It was seriously hot outside (August), and a lot of the attractions are located inside the malls.
    The place is a rip-off too. Took my 4 year old daughter to the aquarium in Dubai Mall. Kids over 3 pay full price. Pathetic.
    On top of that, I'm not fond of the way that they treat the labour force from South Asia.
  • It depends what you want.

I stayed by Dubai Creek, in the old town and enjoyed my stay there. You can still easily access the malls and beaches by metro or taxi, but the area by the creek has genuine Dhows in the water, and a bit more character than the modern areas.
  • Al Qasr hotel, amazing
  • jamescafc said:

Thinking of heading out there for a 4 day break early next year.

Can anyone say where's best to stay and preferably recommend a hotel.

#askkaty

Can feel a Twitter Storm coming on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Shithole. End of.