Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oliver Dearlove

Oliver Dearlove was a young man of 30 years old on a night out with friends in Blackheath Village on Saturday 27th August when he was punched once during an altercation. He was knocked unconcious to the ground and sadly passed away on the Sunday evening of the 28th. A man has been charged with his murder. Dearlove was a Millwall supporter and when we face them the Street Violence campaign which has remembered the lives of Jimmy Mizen and Rob Knox in the past needs to remember Oli Dearlove as well to raise awareness that it's not just a knife or gun that can kill but also a fist. I actually watched the recent documentry on Channel 5 abount single punch killers. So when we play Millwall in a few weeks it would be good see the families of Mizen, Knox and Dearlove unite to keep the campaign very much in mind. That said the Dearlove family family may feel it's still too soon after their son's death. But whatever, rivalries should be put aside and remember this great campaign.

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't agree more a tragedy like this transcends football and local rivalries. Violence like this needs to be stopped.
  • Options
    What a fucking miserable thing to happen both for the guy who threw the punch, who I hope did not intend to kill Oliver and for everyone else close to Oliver and to the puncher.

Shit does happen with great regularity.
  • Options
    Year above me in school didn't know him too well but crossed paths many times playing football or in bars local etc certainly comes across as a peaceful lad, what a shame RIP.
  • Options

What a fucking miserable thing to happen both for the guy who threw the punch, who I hope did not intend to kill Oliver and for everyone else close to Oliver and to the puncher.

Agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments about the victim's family. But you're not suggesting there should be any sympathy for the person who punched him, are you?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments about the victim's family. But you're not suggesting there should be any sympathy for the person who punched him, are you?
    But you dont know the whole story, where you there, I doubt you were, maybe the perp just threw a punch, the victim fell and banged his head, or the perp was a trained fighter with great power and hit him as hard as he could. I dont know you dont know, what I do know is that in these circumstances, its more than one life that is wrecked and ruined.
  • Options
    I agree with @Chizz that @Alwaysneil 's post sounded a bit "off" to me. But I also see @Greenie's point. When is the trial, anyone know?
  • Options
    If someone has been charged with murder, that means that the CPS think that they can prove that he intended to kill him. Otherwise they would be charging him with manslaughter.
  • Options
    I think in cases such as these every should think that this can happen to anyone, the fella who done it and Oliver certainly come from different backgrounds and different lifestyles but until more comes out you certainly can't pre judge

I am sure we have all faced a circumstance that could have ended with a totally different out come

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

But you dont know the whole story, where you there, I doubt you were, maybe the perp just threw a punch, the victim fell and banged his head, or the perp was a trained fighter with great power and hit him as hard as he could. I dont know you dont know, what I do know is that in these circumstances, its more than one life that is wrecked and ruined.
    agreed

"he was punched once during an altercation"

could be any number of scenarios
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chizz said:

Greenie said:

Chizz said:

I have no sympathy whatsoever for someone who has violently assaulted and killed another person.

If you "just threw a punch", which results in someone's death and a family's perpetual grief, you don't deserve one iota of sympathy, in my view.
    The real world is not a place for you is it? I do hope you are never put in a position to have to physically defend yourself, if it happens, at that moment in your life, you will realise your words and well thought out values mean jack shit.

As I alluded to earlier, both guys may have been arguing, the guy may have lashed out and it resulted in another mans death, in which case then there is sympathy for both families. BUT you and me dont know the circumstances, so unlike you I am reserving judgement. A man has died so its inappropriate for a couple of footy fans to continue to speculate on a forum IMHO. I'm chipping out of this one.

RIP Oliver.
    You're right, neither of us knows precisely what happened. But, on the basis that the victim was punched, then, in my view, the perpetrator deserves precisely no sympathy whatsoever. We can wait to see whether he's convicted. One man killed another. My sympathy is reserved for the victim's family.

You're right, of course. My "words and well thought out values are worth jack shit". But I won't waste any words of sympathy on this violent thug. I hope that Oliver's family are given all the time, respect and sympathy that my wife's family was when she was killed.
  • Options
    On balence of probablity the guy didn't intend to kill when he threw the punch but kill him he did. I reckon he will most likely get convicted of manslaughter. But more awareness needs to made that you can kill with one punch.
  • Options
    Other reports suggest that as a result of the punch the victim fell backwards, striking his head on the floor and it was that injury that resulted in his death. If that is the case then I am surprised that there's a Murder charge as there doesn't seem to be any intent to kill. But we don't know the full circumstances and will need to wait for the trial.
  • Options
    Nasty story, RIP.

The fact is the punch could have been in self defence, until the truth comes out I cannot feel sorry for the man that through the punch.

Do I think he intended to kill? Of course not.

This was likely a case of one drink too many, a bloke bumps into him, offends him or he saw he was a Millwall fan so tried to place one on him to teach him a lesson... Knock him out at worst maybe...

I expect he is just surprised as anyone that the guy died.

Anyone who thinks his intent was anything else either has more information than the rest of us or is probably just looking to be offended... Which is disappoint and unsurprising.

Once again rest in peace Oliver, far too young to die.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Other reports suggest that as a result of the punch the victim fell backwards, striking his head on the floor and it was that injury that resulted in his death. If that is the case then I am surprised that there's a Murder charge as there doesn't seem to be any intent to kill. But we don't know the full circumstances and will need to wait for the trial.

For the perpetrator to be charged with murder, the police must show - and the CPS agree - that the perpetrator (among other things) acted with intent to kill or to cause grievous bodily harm. In other words, if the police can show he intended to commit GBH, but did not intend to kill, he can still be charged with murder.

An additional manslaughter charge can be added later.
  • Options

On balence of probablity the guy didn't intend to kill when he threw the punch but kill him he did. I reckon he will most likely get convicted of manslaughter. But more awareness needs to made that you can kill with one punch.

But...

First he'd have to be charged with manslaughter.

And second, all the facts would need to be presented in open court.

We're well short of being able to determine what he will be found guilty of - if anything.

• Options

My blood ran cold when I read about this a couple of weeks ago.

My husband was punched last October, he was knocked off balance he hit the pavement and knocked himself out. 'Thankfully' it only resulted in him breaking and dislocating his ankle, a 4 day stay in hospital, an operation, physio etc and 10 months later he's only just had the pins out (only part of them as they broke whilst in his ankle) and he stilll struggles to stand and walk for long periods.

All of this is nothing in comparison to what could have happened. I dread to think.

Glad to hear he is ok Suzi. I hope the person that punched him was dealt with by the police/courts etc.
  • Options
    about 15 years ago I was walking home from Eltham station after a night on the booze up town, with my then girlfriend and her mate, walking down a fairly quiet road I realised there were about 5/6 'lads' following us (none could've been older than 17/18 tops). I would've been about 27 and for those that know me, not very big and about 11st. Anyway after a few jibes at the girls etc I turned around an fronted them (few beers and all that), girls dragged me away and we carried on walking. they carried on but louder etc and realising they were still following us and we were nearly home and not particularly wanting them to see where I lived I turned round, fronted them properly and ended up hitting one before he hit me...I could see exactly where it was heading.......next thing I know I wake up in an Ambulance in a neck brace strapped to a stretcher on the way to A&E, seems I'd taken a bit of a beating and my head hitting the pavement had knocked me out, we were close enough to my house that a neighbour came out and called the police.

think I was very lucky that night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I came out of a pub in Spain one night and found this arsehole trying to saw through my bicycle lock with his front door key. I yelled at him and he made to run off but then took a look at me, obviously decided I was a wimp and sauntered off without a care. That was the point I lost it, chased him and when he turned round twatted him. He fell over, more in surprise than any force of mine ( I' m a big lad but that doesn't apply to my arms) and did run off this time.
    Now I read this and think maybe if he'd fallen badly and died, what if.....
    RIP for the victim, and huge sympathy for the family. This is way too young. As for the agressor, I'll not judge without more info.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Gray9. I felt choked up reading the story. He looked a lovely young man.

RIP Oli.

And Suzi, there for the grace etc.

• Options
    An old work colleague of mine last February came out of a pub at closing time drunk and fell over, without being touched hitting his head on the pavement. He was in a comma for 6 months before waking up with brain damage and now can't really do much apart from sit on the sofa and sleep most of the time.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    GRAY9 said:

I am very close with the family.

This was a completely unprovoked attack. There was no altercation.

Oli died because of hitting his head after being punched for no reason.

A funeral can't take place because the defence are demanding all these post mortem tests trying to imply Oli had a brain problem already and the punch/fall wasn't the cause of death.

Lots of lifes have been ruined for no reason whatsoever. I hope some sort of justice is done at the trial in February.

What a terrible story and one that shows there for the grace of God go I

He looks and sounds like a proper piece of work and unfortunately I think that this gangsta attitude Is prevalent in today's society
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    GRAY9 said:

I am very close with the family.

This was a completely unprovoked attack. There was no altercation.

Oli died because of hitting his head after being punched for no reason.

A funeral can't take place because the defence are demanding all these post mortem tests trying to imply Oli had a brain problem already and the punch/fall wasn't the cause of death.

Lots of lifes have been ruined for no reason whatsoever. I hope some sort of justice is done at the trial in February.

A few very ill informed comments on here, with one prat even throwing it out there that being Millwall could have been the cause of being punched.

Sorry to hear of your loss and hopefully a funeral can take place soon and the scumbag locked up.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This is not really the time and place but..
    Sparrows, there are a bunch of millwall who drink in Blackheath most weekends. They sing, they intimidate, they are arseholes.
    I hate to think that the victim was mistaken for one of them.
  • Options

My blood ran cold when I read about this a couple of weeks ago.

My husband was punched last October, he was knocked off balance he hit the pavement and knocked himself out. 'Thankfully' it only resulted in him breaking and dislocating his ankle, a 4 day stay in hospital, an operation, physio etc and 10 months later he's only just had the pins out (only part of them as they broke whilst in his ankle) and he stilll struggles to stand and walk for long periods.

All of this is nothing in comparison to what could have happened. I dread to think.

Wow, sorry to hear that Suzi. If I have the right person then I know your husband is good as gold and can't imagine anyone wanting to hit him. Send my best to him. Hithergreen......Catford Celtic.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

For the perpetrator to be charged with murder, the police must show - and the CPS agree - that the perpetrator (among other things) acted with intent to kill or to cause grievous bodily harm. In other words, if the police can show he intended to commit GBH, but did not intend to kill, he can still be charged with murder.

An additional manslaughter charge can be added later.
    Assuming there is no mens rea then a murder charge would not have a chance of success.

There are three elements to a manslaughter charge:

1. There must be an unlawful act
    2. The unlawful act must be dangerous
    3. The unlawful act must cause death

From what we can gather 1 and 2 are met. If the cause of death was the victim hitting their head on the floor rather than the blow itself then point 3 isn't met.

RIP Oliver.
  • Options
    Gentle reminder....

Ongoing investigation and all that. Please be careful with posting what you know / what you've heard etc.

No one wants to unwittingly negatively impact on an investigation. thanks