Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Local Police Station - don't bother

Whilst out walking my dog this morning I found a ladies handbag on the track in Gilbert's Pit. It looked like it had been discarded - the zip was open and the purse on top and open. There was no cash but there were cards. There was no mobile phone but there was a charger. I could see a name but there were no contact details. Being the law-abiding citizen that I am, I took time out to drive it over and hand it in at Plumstead nick. There I was told that "we no longer take lost property" and that I should "hand it in at the nearest corner shop to where you found it." I explained the circumstances of finding it and that it would appear to have been dumped, maybe after a street robbery or other theft. I was told that made no difference and the process was to hand it in to a local shop! Two uniformed coppers and a civilian told me this. I have since confirmed this is the new process. Unbelievable.

Local police stations really have become a waste of time for Joe Public.

I think I have tracked the owner down via Facebook but she's yet to respond....

Comments

• Terrible but not surprising.
  • Bloody hell... How many Corner Shops in one Town would you have to hunt around to find the correct one... Even then I wouldnt trust another joe public to keep it safe and not lose it themselves!!

Should have asked them what you do go to a Police Station for these days
  • As you walked out you should've mumbled under your breath "you won't want to know about the firearm I also found then".

This.. So when does a possible crime, (theft, assault, possible violence, abduction......) become just a lost property issue. -]
  • Police these days are a complete waste of public money, they should have their budget cut by 90%. No wonder people are increasingly taking the law into their own hands. Too busy chasing the laptop warriors to step into the streets-useless bunch of morons.
  • This is very alarming .. I have just been caught 'speeding' for the second time in five weeks, 42 mph in a 30 limit with not another vehicle or person in sight .. seems that police officers have plenty of time to hide round corners or behind trees to nick 'speeders' but no time at all to investigate or even take interest in everyday potential minor crimes .. lost something ?: first port of call should be the local nick ,,, but no longer so it seems
  • You should've told them there was an unpaid speeding ticket inside the handbag. There would've been meat wagons all over the manor within minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think I would have just left it at the desk or on the floor.

Local police are pretty lazy and just look for an easy nick, not interested in general public.
  • edited September 2016
    Would you even trust it with a corner shop? Let alone lose the bag some of them would probably go so far as to keep any cash found and just claim they were handed the bag as it is.

Disgraceful from the old bill.
  • Whilst out walking my dog this morning I found a ladies handbag on the track in Gilbert's Pit. It looked like it had been discarded - the zip was open and the purse on top and open. There was no cash but there were cards. There was no mobile phone but there was a charger. I could see a name but there were no contact details. Being the law-abiding citizen that I am, I took time out to drive it over and hand it in at Plumstead nick. There I was told that "we no longer take lost property" and that I should "hand it in at the nearest corner shop to where you found it." I explained the circumstances of finding it and that it would appear to have been dumped, maybe after a street robbery or other theft. I was told that made no difference and the process was to hand it in to a local shop! Two uniformed coppers and a civilian told me this. I have since confirmed this is the new process. Unbelievable.

Local police stations really have become a waste of time for Joe Public.

I think I have tracked the owner down via Facebook but she's yet to respond....

Should have saved yourself the petrol money and a wasted journey. Here's a novel idea - how about you rung one of the credit card companies (number would have been on the back of a card), explained the situation, gave them your number and then got the owner to give you a call!! It could have even resulted in you getting a reward or even pulling!!

If no one rung you back you could have gone back to the Police and reported a possible murder!! Mind you, your dabs would have been all over the bag and cards so that would have completely messed the forensics up or even put you in the frame!!
  • Police these days are a complete waste of public money, they should have their budget cut by 90%. No wonder people are increasingly taking the law into their own hands. Too busy chasing the laptop warriors to step into the streets-useless bunch of morons.

Police these days are a complete waste of public money, they should have their budget cut by 90%. No wonder people are increasingly taking the law into their own hands. Too busy chasing the laptop warriors to step into the streets-useless bunch of morons.

So a bunch of thugs break into your house, ransack it and take your wife/boyfriend and children/adoptees hostage.

Who you gonna call?

• Redskin said:

Police these days are a complete waste of public money, they should have their budget cut by 90%. No wonder people are increasingly taking the law into their own hands. Too busy chasing the laptop warriors to step into the streets-useless bunch of morons.

So a bunch of thugs break into your house, ransack it and take your wife/boyfriend and children/adoptees hostage.

Who you gonna call?

Your Corner Shop.

Might as well check to see if any of your pinched stuff has been handed over to them
  • As you walked out you should've mumbled under your breath "you won't want to know about the firearm I also found then".

As it happens, there was paperwork in the bag that Plod might have been interested in but not my business (personal to her) and, in the circumstances, really hope I can give this woman her bag back.

What happens in future when a serious crime may have been committed and vital evidence is found and subsequently lost because no-one bothers with this ludicrous solution (or lost even if they do)?
  • Ahhhhhhh for the good old days under Labour when every street had its own copper
  • Sponsored links:

• What happens if the corner shop gets done over?
  • Should have said ' I suppose it might be the lady's whose body was in the undergrowth a hundred yards along the way.' Shook your head and ambled off.
  • What happens if the corner shop gets done over?

Phone up the next nearest Corner Shop and query it with them
  • So you find a gold chain and a diamond ring and the first thing you have to do is look for the nearest shop to hand them in. That can't be right.
  • From Sept 2014! Total policing my arse.
  • Redskin said:

Who you gonna call?

GHOSTBUSTERS..!