Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Celtic 5 Rangers 1 - Is Brendan Rodgers back?

Just watched the highlights of this, an absolute battering for Rangers who were very poor throughout.

The interesting thing for me is Brendan Rodgers, I thought he was a real bullshit merchant when he was at Liverpool and that he just got lucky having Suarez in the side.

However looking at that game today he does seem able to get his teams to play with real energy going forward, Sinclair and Dembele were a class above and poor old Senderos got a right chasing.

It will be interesting to see if Rodgers gets another gig in England, he does seem to have something special about him as a manager and gets players like Sinclair to really play for him.

Comments

• You are talking about Scottish football which has been crap for years. Rangers have been out of the top flight for ages and Celtic beat them, so what? Brendan Rodgers record in the Prem remains crap until he betters it; in the Prem! He's had his chance and there will be NO British Isles ( you see what I did there?) EPL manager in 5 years time.
  • Tried to 'bump' the 2012 well played Celtic thread yesterday. It won't appear on the front page.
  • You are talking about Scottish football which has been crap for years. Rangers have been out of the top flight for ages and Celtic beat them, so what? Brendan Rodgers record in the Prem remains crap until he betters it; in the Prem! He's had his chance and there will be NO British Isles ( you see what I did there?) EPL manager in 5 years time.

I think that Eddie Howe and Russell Slade might have something to say about that.
  • Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's game. You can say Rangers have been out of the top flight for several years but they are, still, spending and they were by far the better team when the two met in the semi-final last season.

Rodgers seems to have instilled an attacking mentality, which is going down well. Dembelle probably wouldn't have played yesterday, had Griffiths been fit.

Still only Scottish Premiership. The game at the Nou Camp this week will be a little different...although Barca did get beat last night!! Who knows :wink:
  • Rangers spending? Are you sure, apart from Barton they haven't spent anything of note and yesterdays disgrace highlights that.
    Most of the Rangers side are English League 1 or 2 standard and Celtic aren't much better.

I used to watch Scottish football every week when I lived in Ayr up to 2008 and the standard has dropped dramatically since then.
    I can't see Celtic scoring a single goal in The Champions League and I fully expect them to get humped in every game.
  • D_F_T said:

Rangers spending? Are you sure, apart from Barton they haven't spent anything of note and yesterdays disgrace highlights that.
    Most of the Rangers side are English League 1 or 2 standard and Celtic aren't much better.

I used to watch Scottish football every week when I lived in Ayr up to 2008 and the standard has dropped dramatically since then.
    I can't see Celtic scoring a single goal in The Champions League and I fully expect them to get humped in every game.

I was at Rangers v Motherwell the other week and watch most games on TV and I genuinely think Charlton would beat Rangers pretty easily at the moment.
  • D_F_T said:

Rangers spending? Are you sure, apart from Barton they haven't spent anything of note and yesterdays disgrace highlights that.

Senderos won't be cheap, Garner (£1.5m), Krancjar (again won't be cheap), Barton as you say, although he was actually a free transfer. Windass (Accrington Stanley allegedly turned down £1m previously). Did Clint Hill sign (would have been on decent wages at QPR)?

They seem to be spending, even if mostly on wages. Whether they're signing the right players is another matter.

Undoubtedly the standard has dropped and Celtic do look to be on a hiding to nothing in this group. We'll soon see.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    TelMc32 said:

D_F_T said:

Senderos won't be cheap, Garner (£1.5m), Krancjar (again won't be cheap), Barton as you say, although he was actually a free transfer. Windass (Accrington Stanley allegedly turned down £1m previously). Did Clint Hill sign (would have been on decent wages at QPR)?

They seem to be spending, even if mostly on wages. Whether they're signing the right players is another matter.

Undoubtedly the standard has dropped and Celtic do look to be on a hiding to nothing in this group. We'll soon see.
    Hope they're paying their taxes, we got the London stadium to pay for.
  • I can't stand Brendan Rogers. Shades of Pardew about him. He deffo wouldn't pass the CL height test.
  • Thats awful vg. I did notice all the halo's above the the rangers fans yestrerday. Also i lived there for 6 years in the 80's and could fill these pages with things rthe rangers scum have done.
  • Always thought Rodgers was a decent manager, the Liverpool side that nearly won the league was the most exciting Prem team I've seen in absolutely ages and as a neutral I'd have to stick their game on if they were playing. Sure he inherited some attacking talent but Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho/Henderson/Sterling hadn't been playing at that level previously.

Klopp is a better manager than him of course, but he hasn't kicked them on massively they are still a Europa League level side because of the pretty average signings their committee continues to make.

Yeah he says some nonsense but who cares really.
  • TelMc32 said:

D_F_T said:

Rangers have done some shocking business this Summer and that point was totally exposed yesterday. Krancjar and Senderos are well off the pace and were both a liability.

Celtic already had the stronger squad and have added pace and quality. The gap between the sides will close over the next twelve months, which can only be good for Scottish football.
  • DOC64 said:

TelMc32 said:

D_F_T said:

Rangers have done some shocking business this Summer and that point was totally exposed yesterday. Krancjar and Senderos are well off the pace and were both a liability.

Celtic already had the stronger squad and have added pace and quality. The gap between the sides will close over the next twelve months, which can only be good for Scottish football.
    Agreed. As I said earlier, they were by far the better side when they met last season in the cup. Great passing, attacking play and a real desire that Celtic didn't have. Seem to have let a good few of those players go during the summer and made some really questionable recruits, which seems odd for Warburton, who I rate as a manage.
  • TelMc32 said:

D_F_T said:

You've saved me writing a list. Lets not forget the amount they spent to get out of the lower leagues, players like Daly, Black, Wilson among others were all signed from SPL side's and wouldn't have come cheap. They should very least be comfortably finishing 2nd on spending alone.
  • No, he's not back.

He's still in Scotland.
  • More a case of Warburton's system and style of play not working. LIke Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, he throws the full backs forward in advance of the ball at every opportunity, leaving Rangers vulnerable to counter attacks into the full back areas, which in turn isolates the centre backs.

HIbs took full advantage in the Cup Final, with Stokes getting behind Tavernier the right back throughout the game, causing havoc, including the first goal. Add to that poor defending at set plays, as illustrated by the late winner. WHich was also the case for Celtics second goal in the Old Firm.

In the Old Firm, Forrest got behind Wallace the right back, throughout the first half in particular, allowing Dembele to lsolate Senderos in the central areas.
    Rangers haven't changed their system since last season, when most first division teams didn't have the tools to capitalise. In a televised league cup tie against Motherwell earlier in the season, Ainsworth also got behind Wallace and caused havoc, but the likes of McDonald and Johnson missed clear cut chances to score. Where Dalia didn't have the tactical plan to beat Rangers in last years Semi final, Rodgers clearly did yesterday, albeit using the template set out by Alan Stubbs in the Cup Final. Add in Barton & Kranjcar getting over-run in central midfield and Rangers were dismantled. Rogic failed to capitalise on the space he had in the no.10 role in the first half, with a lack of quality in his play, otherwise it could have been more. When the more direct and more mobile Armstrong came on, the game really opened up for Celtic.

Warburton looks like a one-trick pony at the moment and needs to adapt.

Rodgers will experience the boot being on the other foot in Barcelona on Wednesday. However, In this game, he showed he had more than enough nous to set his team up to capitalise on clear weaknesses in the opposition's system.

• Sponsored links:

• Didnt we smash up the toilets at crystal palace..so some of our fans are just as bad.
  • Don't agree with @C4FC4L1f3 in that they are ALL scum, but think this shows that there are scummy elements on both sides...as there are at most clubs, including ours!
  • TelMc32 said:

Don't agree with @C4FC4L1f3 in that they are ALL scum, but think this shows that there are scummy elements on both sides...as there are at most clubs, including ours!
    I was maybe 10-11 and was on the bus home from ibrox.

Looked out the window at all the abuse and one guy pulled down his trousers shat on the pavement then threw it at the bus windows! Luckily it wasn't mine.

Always a shite time at ibrox :wink:
  • The highlights are on Sky Sports 1 at 9:30. Well worth watching.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

More a case of Warburton's system and style of play not working. LIke Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, he throws the full backs forward in advance of the ball at every opportunity, leaving Rangers vulnerable to counter attacks into the full back areas, which in turn isolates the centre backs.

HIbs took full advantage in the Cup Final, with Stokes getting behind Tavernier the right back throughout the game, causing havoc, including the first goal. Add to that poor defending at set plays, as illustrated by the late winner. WHich was also the case for Celtics second goal in the Old Firm.

In the Old Firm, Forrest got behind Wallace the right back, throughout the first half in particular, allowing Dembele to lsolate Senderos in the central areas.
    Rangers haven't changed their system since last season, when most first division teams didn't have the tools to capitalise. In a televised league cup tie against Motherwell earlier in the season, Ainsworth also got behind Wallace and caused havoc, but the likes of McDonald and Johnson missed clear cut chances to score. Where Dalia didn't have the tactical plan to beat Rangers in last years Semi final, Rodgers clearly did yesterday, albeit using the template set out by Alan Stubbs in the Cup Final. Add in Barton & Kranjcar getting over-run in central midfield and Rangers were dismantled. Rogic failed to capitalise on the space he had in the no.10 role in the first half, with a lack of quality in his play, otherwise it could have been more. When the more direct and more mobile Armstrong came on, the game really opened up for Celtic.

Warburton looks like a one-trick pony at the moment and needs to adapt.

Rodgers will experience the boot being on the other foot in Barcelona on Wednesday. However, In this game, he showed he had more than enough nous to set his team up to capitalise on clear weaknesses in the opposition's system.

Good point about Warburton, Rangers are a massive club and he must have the weakest credentials in the the club's modern history.

He did what he had to do in getting them back to the SPL but they may need to bring in someone with more clout, although I am not sure what kind of funding they have these days.
  • C4FC4L1f3 said:

TelMc32 said:

Don't agree with @C4FC4L1f3 in that they are ALL scum, but think this shows that there are scummy elements on both sides...as there are at most clubs, including ours!
    I was maybe 10-11 and was on the bus home from ibrox.

Looked out the window at all the abuse and one guy pulled down his trousers shat on the pavement then threw it at the bus windows! Luckily it wasn't mine.

Always a shite time at ibrox :wink:
    Did we ever find out who posted that "package" to Latrien???
  • as said before both have stupid ideas, majority of celtic fans have never set foot in ireland and a lot of rangers fans have probably never been to england, the level of football is so fucking poor. they have to do the stupid stuff on both sides to make it exciting. the celtic green brigade are an embarrassment to the club. Scott browns post match interview must of had gers fans raging "the scoreline talks for itself, it was men vs boys".