Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rio 2016 Paralympics

Huge shame there isnt already a thread on the subject yet good that the Paralympics have started today... Much more inspirational than the Olympics and if this cant get us off our sofas and into Sport I dont know what can

Not to mention that we've already got a Gold and Silver Medal... Dame Sarah Storey will face fellow Brit: Crystal Lane in the Individual Pursuit C5 3000m just after 9am tonight

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant the way they can joke about their situations like this as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9H7JE1ZjnY
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Watched the last leg last night, they were ripping the shite out of everything. So, so, funny that they can laugh at themselves.

Loved the bit about disabled top trumps as to was getting on the plane first, along with the bloke putting his false arm into the overhead locker, it was his hand luggage.
  • Options
    The comment on the graffiti pic of the Chinese gold medal swimmer from 2012 cracked me up! 'This fella looks like he's screaming 'why have you dropped me in the water? I've got no arms!!!!''

Haha. Have enjoyed The Last Leg immensly over the last 4 years (including election night back in May 2015!) and have been itching for the paralympics to start. Was hoping to be able to watch more than I've been able to so far on channel 4 though.
  • Options
    Oh and my memory thing on Facebook came up today with my pics from when we went to the Paralympics in London. Loads of pictures of Oscar Pistorius!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Take it back. Just seen the Paralympics channel 4 site. It's great. Storey on in 3 mins! (Edited as I got that wrong! Megan was on at 8.30 and won- storey on at 9.30 ish) Greatest ever female Paralympics! 38 yrs old?!?
  • Options
    About to get our first Gold... :)
  • Options
    Gutted they've taken First Dates off the air tonight....

No seriously I've just turned over to channel 4 and thought oh yeah the Paralympics are on , I should really watch some of this.

The thing that shocked was the table they just put up of the top 5 Brit medal winners, some guy had won 16 golds, and I'd never heard of him , and I think only 2 out of the top 5 , yet in mainstream sport 'able bodied winners' are praised to the hills.

It's certainly got a lot better but i still think we have a way to go to make this more mainstream in people's thinking.

People are still people whether they have a disability or not, this should be televised on bbc 1 , these guys and girls have to work a lot harder to be successful.

• Options
    One guy in the GB football team was a pro at Birmingham and got beat up on a night out. Tumour on the brain and now he plays for GB. Absolutely frightening. He scored a screamer as well.
  • Options
    Aaand another third Gold
  • Options
    And the swimming! 4 golds and 1 silver in an hour!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another silver in the pool!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Flipping heck , if you want a gold medal fix this is the place to be, might as well just give them all to Britain!
  • Options
    Love the Last Leg bit. Great night for the cyclists.

The lady who won the first gold was amazing with her photo of the little boy to inspire him.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

People are still people whether they have a disability or not, this should be televised on bbc 1 , these guys and girls have to work a lot harder to be successful.

Channel 4 outbid the BBC on the TV rights (as they did for London 2012).
  • Options
    And if you ask people at the BBC they are delighted that Channel 4 do such a brilliant job
  • Options
    More golds!
  • Options
    We also have a CAFC connection as the manager / agent of Hannah Cockroft (and a few other ParaOlympians) is a big CAFC fan
  • Options
    Great programme well done C4.

Amazing performances by all athletes

Claire Balding is wonderfully warm lady

• Options
    Was there to see him win in London 2012

Johnnie peacock is so fucking cool under pressure and so so quick

Well done JP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Go Johnnie Peacock ! That was amazing ! What an inspiration you and the rest of the ParalympiAns truly are ! Amazing

Couldn't agree more. And great to see you posting, @rhinosvalley. You should come out of your brother's shadow more often ;-)
  • Options
    It's worth watching just for the smiles.
  • Options
    Back to back World Records in the pool and golds everywhere, we're proper mustard!
  • Options
    Absolutely loving the games in Rio like in London! I just wish there was more coverage of their races in between the Paralympics. So glad that they made the tickets more affordable for local people as the crowds involvement has been brilliant.
    So many are really cool characters, like Johnny Peacock and Richard Whitehead, but even more seem so shy in the limelight they truly deserve. Loved Will Bayley's celebration on the table tennis table and the big hug with Johnny Vegas! The Last Leg is so funny and again, great to see some of the athletes in the audience. All heroes to me, everyone.
  • Options
    Wonder why they werent in the Olympics then?

Didnt Pistorius successfully get into the main events prior to going to prison?
  • Options
    When I heard this on the news, I couldn't understand how! Read the article and you have to ask why they were not transferred to the Olympics! Visually impaired, but no guides, so the switch would seem easier than Pistorius's switch. Two brothers in the top 4, first and fourth, proud parents and family I hope.
    Truly amazing feat.
    More GB medals last night but I do wish they would give gold, silver and bronze winners as much air time as they all deserve it.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Switching to the regular Olympics just because 'you are good enough' misses the point. The Paralympics are not a sub-par Olympics, they are both equal. Hence why Oscar caught some flak for trying to switch as it implied he was too good for the Paralympics.

I suppose there is nothing stopping an athlete from competing in both as long as there is no barrier from a rules perspective, but stamina/fitness could be a factor? I imagine it'd be quite gruelling to complete in this kind of event across two consecutive Games.

Personally I enjoy watching the Paralympics more.