Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Majorca 2017

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Mojacar, it's lovely. As in Mojacar, Costa de Almeria. The Playa is lovely and Mojacar 'Pueblo' is a beautiful village. Small ex pat community there with a nice selection of bars etc. It'll be where I buy my Spanish apartment.
  • Mojacar, it's lovely. As in Mojacar, Costa de Almeria. The Playa is lovely and Mojacar 'Pueblo' is a beautiful village. Small ex pat community there with a nice selection of bars etc. It'll be where I buy my Spanish apartment.

Its really strange, coz of the last 2 posts, the only time I have been to Majorca before is to Paguera, and I didn't think it was that great tbh. But I have been to Mojacar before and @addictedoldgit has relatives there and must admit think its fabulous.
    The more I read about Majorca, it seems that house prices are more expensive there than on Mainland?, which may sway the decision.
  • If you want less of a touristy place to stay....

We stayed in Sa Pobla a couple of years back. Very few Brits there, great square with loads of restaurants, and they had a jazz festival when we were there.
    You'll need a car to get you to the beach which is a downside.
    But you'll get more bang for your buck on Airbnb. Reember to get airconditioning though.
  • Mojacar, it's lovely. As in Mojacar, Costa de Almeria. The Playa is lovely and Mojacar 'Pueblo' is a beautiful village. Small ex pat community there with a nice selection of bars etc. It'll be where I buy my Spanish apartment.

Its really strange, coz of the last 2 posts, the only time I have been to Majorca before is to Paguera, and I didn't think it was that great tbh. But I have been to Mojacar before and @addictedoldgit has relatives there and must admit think its fabulous.
    The more I read about Majorca, it seems that house prices are more expensive there than on Mainland?, which may sway the decision.
    Mate, Majorca is stunning if you have a good look around. Not just the beaches but some of the small villages in the hills are perfect. You are never going to be too far from the beach. It's all about personal taste of course but my favourite Majorca places are Cala D'or, Alcudia (adore the old town) and the capital Palma which is stunning. Cala Figuera is a stunning little port and village as is Porto Cristo. Your group will need an Alcudia, Palma Nova or Cala Millor type place I think. Inland, Santanyi and Felanitx are nice and Manacor (second biggest town and birthplace of Rafa Nadal) is a decent size. Really fancy Soller and Port Soller on my next visit. I think it's a wonderful island with so much more to offer than your Magalufs etc.

As for Mojacar. Just picked it randomly 10 years ago and fell in love with it. And I think you're right, properties in Mojacar will be cheaper I reckon mate.
  • I can confirm that Cala D'or is one of the most stunning places on the planet - or have i had too much Sangria?

Beautiful place.
  • I can confirm that Cala D'or is one of the most stunning places on the planet - or have i had too much Sangria?

Beautiful place.
    Cloudy day here today, which is a bit of a relief after 39 degrees yesterday.

Mate, Majorca is stunning if you have a good look around. Not just the beaches but some of the small villages in the hills are perfect. You are never going to be too far from the beach. It's all about personal taste of course but my favourite Majorca places are Cala D'or, Alcudia (adore the old town) and the capital Palma which is stunning. Cala Figuera is a stunning little port and village as is Porto Cristo. Your group will need an Alcudia, Palma Nova or Cala Millor type place I think. Inland, Santanyi and Felanitx are nice and Manacor (second biggest town and birthplace of Rafa Nadal) is a decent size. Really fancy Soller and Port Soller on my next visit. I think it's a wonderful island with so much more to offer than your Magalufs etc.

As for Mojacar. Just picked it randomly 10 years ago and fell in love with it. And I think you're right, properties in Mojacar will be cheaper I reckon mate.
    Highly recommend Soller - fabulous. Lovely square, lots going on, but feels spanish rather than excessively touristy. Some beautiful scenic drives from Soller up into the mountains towards Puerto Pollensa and Pollensa town, both of which I also like very much.

Beautiful place.
    Cloudy day here today, which is a bit of a relief after 39 degrees yesterday.
    It will feel cloudy over Canterbury in a couple of hours when we win.:)
  • IdleHans said:

Mojacar, it's lovely. As in Mojacar, Costa de Almeria. The Playa is lovely and Mojacar 'Pueblo' is a beautiful village. Small ex pat community there with a nice selection of bars etc. It'll be where I buy my Spanish apartment.

Highly recommend Soller - fabulous. Lovely square, lots going on, but feels spanish rather than excessively touristy. Some beautiful scenic drives from Soller up into the mountains towards Puerto Pollensa and Pollensa town, both of which I also like very much.
    Going to Soller tomorrow to take the train. One of the things about Majorca is how each side of the islnd has its own distinct different character and feel about it. Agree the drive around Soller/Deja is quite beautiful.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018

I can confirm that Cala D'or is one of the most stunning places on the planet - or have i had too much Sangria?

Stayed at the hotel right at the bottom of the road. Bloody years ago, pre kids.
    Can't remember it's name.
    Cracking little place. Do they still have the bars and restaurants halfway up the road?
    Had some good night's around there.

Stayed at the hotel right at the bottom of the road. Bloody years ago, pre kids.
    Can't remember it's name.
    Cracking little place. Do they still have the bars and restaurants halfway up the road?
    Had some good night's around there.
    Yes, quite simply, a stunning ,picturesque Spanish coastal resort, with no lager louts, families mostly, beautiful little cove beaches but easy to get to. Restauarants and bars galore in main area half way up road.Marina also.
    Never been to Majorca before, but hugely impressed.
    My kids, who have been brought up in Cape Town say its the best holiday they've ever had.
  • To me Cala Dor is the best place in the world. Been going there 20 years and love it. Family going there tomorrow and I'm not . Gutted
  • We’re off to Can Picafort in a couple of weeks. Stayed in the same hotel 3 years ago and loved it. Probably won’t set foot out of the hotel more than twice though.
  • Which hotel is that @DaveMehmet
    Is the one that used to be the holiday village but is now Viva something?
  • MrOneLung said:

Which hotel is that @DaveMehmet
    Is the one that used to be the holiday village but is now Viva something?

It used to be Viva but is now Zafiro.
  • We’re off to Can Picafort in a couple of weeks. Stayed in the same hotel 3 years ago and loved it. Probably won’t set foot out of the hotel more than twice though.

2nd honeymoon, DM ?

:blush:

Stayed at the Vell Mari last year.

2nd honeymoon, DM ?

Lol, fat chance of that Jean. We won’t be able to drag my daughter away from the pool during the day or me away from the bar in the evening.
  • IdleHans said:

Going to Soller tomorrow to take the train. One of the things about Majorca is how each side of the islnd has its own distinct different character and feel about it. Agree the drive around Soller/Deja is quite beautiful.
    Great day out on that little train, beautiful harbour
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to C'an Trompe tonight - fantastic paella.

2nd honeymoon, DM ?

Lol, fat chance of that Jean. We won’t be able to drag my daughter away from the pool during the day or me away from the bar in the evening.
    The question is, what time does evening start :-)
  • Heading to Porto Cristo saturday hopefully the game if I can find a suitable bar
  • edited August 2018

Heading to Porto Cristo saturday hopefully the game if I can find a suitable bar

Have you been there before?

We were there at the start of the season (admittedly) 9 years ago. Nice little town/port but we had to head up the road to Sa Coma to find any bars showing English football.
  • I'm in cala bona on sat in a bar no doubt surrounded by mackems. Might introduce myself as Clive Mendonca!?
  • Just spoke to the hotel and they’re going to show it on the big screen in the main bar. Didn’t like to tell them that I’ll probably be the only fucker there though
  • Heading to Porto Cristo saturday hopefully the game if I can find a suitable bar

We were there at the start of the season (admittedly) 9 years ago. Nice little town/port but we had to head up the road to Sa Coma to find any bars showing English football.
    No I'll head up to Sa Coma then wouldn't want to risk not watching it with the family
  • Just spoke to the hotel and they’re going to show it on the big screen in the main bar. Didn’t like to tell them that I’ll probably be the only fucker there though

even if your not you'll get rid of the others with your chat in 10 mins and can watch it in peace
  • edited August 2018

Heading to Porto Cristo saturday hopefully the game if I can find a suitable bar

No I'll head up to Sa Coma then wouldn't want to risk not watching it with the family
    Don't get me wrong mate, Porto Cristo is lovely and the nearby cove beach of Cala Anguila is also lovely (we actually walked to it from the apartments we stayed in). Just that when we were there 9 years back we had to take the short cab ride to Sa Coma for the football, may be different now? Lots going on in Sa Coma also. Have a good time, very jealous!

Don't get me wrong mate, Porto Cristo is lovely and the nearby cove beach of Cala Anguila is also lovely (we actually walked to it from the apartments we stayed in). Just that when we were there 9 years back we had to take the short cab ride to Sa Coma for the football, may be different now? Lots going on in Sa Coma also. Have a good time, very jealous!
    Thank you will have a stroll down Cala Anguila its been mentioned a few times