Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vuelta a Espana (2019 from page 4)

1235»

Comments

• Cool thanks Stig.  Looks like UAE came off much worse.
  • What is wrong with having a new thread for this year’s Vuelta? The use of historical threads, some years and years old, just to avoid the opening of a new thread even when it is clearly the appropriate and the sensible thing to do, never ceases to bemuse me. Why do we have a new match thread every week? Why not just update the page number in the title for each new match?
  • What is wrong with having a new thread for this year’s Vuelta? The use of historical threads, some years and years old, just to avoid the opening of a new thread even when it is clearly the appropriate and the sensible thing to do, never ceases to bemuse me. Why do we have a new match thread every week? Why not just update the page number in the title for each new match?
    Nowt stopping you making one cocker! 
  • It's for ease of content management. If someone's interested in a subject they can find it more easily

The Vuelta Thread is three years old and has just made five pages. There'll be over 40 match threads in a season, each 10-15 pages long, so you're not comparing like with like.  
  • edited August 2019
    Much better start to the Vuelta every year than the Tour or Giro. I got to Calpe and train out on these roads in the early spring - some of the climbing is brutal compared with anything in the first week in the other grand tours. That climb up the Cumbre del Sol is a beast - even though its only 3km its steep.

The Drag up to Confrides is grim too - will put some grief into the legs of the sprinters. Can't see any of the quick lads like Bennett or Boasson-Hagen getting to the finish in contention
    Nowt stopping you making one cocker! 
    ColinTat already did hence my post.
  • edited August 2019
    Stig said:
    It's for ease of content management. If someone's interested in a subject they can find it more easily

The Vuelta Thread is three years old and has just made five pages. There'll be over 40 match threads in a season, each 10-15 pages long, so you're not comparing like with like.  
    The reason I find it irritating is that on a number of occasions I have opened one of these historical Grand Tour threads and spent some time following a discussion before realising  that the posts were a year old and were unread because I had not viewed them at the time.
  • Highlights of this year's vuelta on ITV 4 - Freeview 24  ( looks like no live coverage ) 10.00 pm tonight and from 7.00 pm as usual from Monday , with all the regulars .
  • Stig said:
    It's for ease of content management. If someone's interested in a subject they can find it more easily

The reason I find it irritating is that on a number of occasions I have opened one of these historical Grand Tour threads and spent some time following a discussion before realising  that the posts were a year old and were unread because I had not viewed them at the time.
    Yeah, I appreciate that.  That is why I edited the title though.
  • NAIRROOOOO! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Pleased to see Roche in top spot 
  • Highlights of this year's vuelta on ITV 4 - Freeview 24  ( looks like no live coverage ) 10.00 pm tonight and from 7.00 pm as usual from Monday , with all the regulars .
    Eurosport were covering it live today. Haven't checked tomorrow's coverage though. 
  • Much better start to the Vuelta every year than the Tour or Giro. I got to Calpe and train out on these roads in the early spring - some of the climbing is brutal compared with anything in the first week in the other grand tours. That climb up the Cumbre del Sol is a beast - even though its only 3km its steep.

The Drag up to Confrides is grim too - will put some grief into the legs of the sprinters. Can't see any of the quick lads like Bennett or Boasson-Hagen getting to the finish in contention

How comes you choose the Valencia region?  Always been meaning to go in January for winter rides, but if I do go somewhere I usually head to Tenerife.  From what people say Valencia area roads are just as quiet with less likelihood of rain.
  • Loved the hand slapping and beer drinking from Sepp Kuss as he took Stage 15. I don't think I've seen a smilier rider since Chris Horner won the 2013 event. Perhaps it says something about American dentistry  ;)
  • Stig said:
    Loved the hand slapping and beer drinking from Sepp Kuss as he took Stage 15. I don't think I've seen a smilier rider since Chris Horner won the 2013 event. Perhaps it says something about American dentistry  ;)
    Let's hope that's the only thing he shares with Horner...  ;)
  • ColinTat said:
    Much better start to the Vuelta every year than the Tour or Giro. I got to Calpe and train out on these roads in the early spring - some of the climbing is brutal compared with anything in the first week in the other grand tours. That climb up the Cumbre del Sol is a beast - even though its only 3km its steep.

How comes you choose the Valencia region?  Always been meaning to go in January for winter rides, but if I do go somewhere I usually head to Tenerife.  From what people say Valencia area roads are just as quiet with less likelihood of rain.
    Calpe is pretty much perfect for winter training. Dozens of cracking climbs and routes to choose from, flat if you need interval or paceline work and (usually) dry as a bone. Obviously you could get a wet week, but generally when the rains come in its only for a day at most. No coincidence that almost every pro team does their winter training there - it's also significantly cheaper than Tenerife cos hardly any tourists there until end of March (unlike the canaries which is steady all year round) - so bargains on accommodation.

Think my favourite winter training ride is Guadalest, Confrides, Castell de Castell, down to Benigembla and Parcent then up over the Rates and down to Tarbena to complete the loop
  • Watched the highlights of today’s race without knowing the result. Quintana in break away 5 mins ahead of the rest of the GC guys back in the peloton. But Quintana’s team Movistar rode at high pace at the front of the peloton helping the red jersey limit loss of time to Quintana, I don’t understand.

it has been a great race this year.
  • Has Bradley Wiggins given up riding his bike altogether?
  • Good to see James Knox riding for Deceuninck Quick Step , now up to 8th on GC.
  • Nice easy day on La Vuelta

• Sponsored links:

• I watched an earlier stage from a roadside cafe in Jalon.  Great atmosphere, will do it again when it comes by next time.