Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slovakia vs England WCQ / Bratislava

This Sunday evening and Big Sam's first game in charge, in what is arguably the toughest fixture of the group on paper, although the double header against the Jocks will likely provide a sterner test due to the nature of those fixtures.

Any other addicks heading out for it? I continue to justify it by my mantra of supporting the shirt, not what is in it!

We fly out Sat am (via Vienna) for a couple of nights in Bratislava, before heading to the largely unknown City of Trvana for the game. Much to my disappointment the game is to be played in a all-seated 'state of the art' arena, rather than the usual old (but fun) crumbling heap we end up at in Eastern Europe.

Here's hoping that this trip is a lot less eventful off the pitch than the last trip to Slovakia in 2002, which infamously saw gun shots in Bratislava pubs, racial abuse directed at Heskey et all and running battles on the terraces as the Slovakian OB got their usual kicks as English skulls were cracked, set against the backdrop of horrific rainfall which left the game in doubt at one stage.

If anyone has any tips or recommendations for Bratislava (or more unlikely for Trvana) that they wish to share then please don't hesitate as it will be much appreciated.

Prediction 1 - 2

Cheers & GSTQ

Comments

• Options
    Hope all goes well on and off the pitch mate.
  • Options
    Cheers P
  • Options
    Went to Bratislava on a lads trip about 18 months ago and really liked it. Loads of good bars in the old town. Zbrojnos Pub was our favourite. Only opens upstairs midweek but Fri - Sun they open up the cellar as well.

Bar Rock is also worth a look. Stays open till 5am and was good for music.

Struggled to pay more than a couple of euros for a 0.5l Urquell.

If craft beer is your thing there is a brewery with a decent bar up near the Ibis Hotel - Zamocky Pivovar.

Avoid the stupid German beer hall - crap beer and overpriced.

We found a self service beer hall as well - name escapes me, pretty sure it was at the South End of town.

Defo get some ghoulash and defo avoid the strip clubs - couple of mates got properly ripped off in one.

Couple of quality Shisha cafes.

Had a reputation as a trouble town, but we didn't see a hint of it.
  • Options
    Bratislava is a beautiful city, they don't care much for the British, had a great time in the No1 Slovak bar, has its own brewery attached good cheap beer and good homemade food 50 pints and 10 meals cost us about £70. You need to watch what they charge you in some bars/clubs as they appear to have a locals rate and a double your money tourist rate
  • Options
    Pussycat club
  • Options
    5 of us heading out there tomorrow.

Two of us in the away end. Other three are in the home end.

I am spending the Monday in Vienna doing all the tourist stuff. Women at work said Trvana is the Slovakian Liverpool. Very backwards place.

I do not think there is much to do in Bratislava bar drinking cheap beer.

• Options
    Cheers gents - good advice.
  • Options
    weather looks good, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Can't think.of anything more depressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Than two nights in Bratislava? You've not been to the Valley in the last 5 years?
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37243639

Forster is injured, and his replacement is Alex McCarthy

Yes, Checkatrade on Tuesday, England squad on Sunday!

Going down in the world.
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37243639

Forster is injured, and his replacement is Alex McCarthy

Yes, Checkatrade on Tuesday, England squad on Sunday!

Let's hope he isn't asked to take a penalty on Sunday!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I had a cleaner who was a Slovak. Took fookin ages to do the Hoovering

Probably isn't in the squad.
  • Options
    Have we had anyone comment, that they believe, we really have a good chance of winning the World Cup, yet?
  • Options
    I think that suggestion has been extinguished for at least a decade.
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

I had a cleaner who was a Slovak. Took fookin ages to do the Hoovering

Probably isn't in the squad.
    Surely he's the sweeper !

• Options
    I travel to Bratislava for work on Monday for the week.

Have been once before, and my old second in command now has a job with our company out there.

It's a pretty city in the old town, there are good bars, our experience is that the locals love the English and practicing their English on people generally. That said, haven't been to a football game which is going to be a bit different.

Couldn't go earlier for the game as am away in the campervan with my son this weekend but look forward to talking to people about the game when I'm there.

As an added benefit, my former employee tells me that one of the people we know at work at head office in Switzerland who is jaw droppingly stunning is very average looking in comparison with many of his new staff out there.

• Options
    roll on 5!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've never been to Trnava, but I am surprised about what @SouthWest_Addicks was told. It's only a short way from Bratislava, and that whole area is economically booming. There are worse places further east they could have sent you to. Like Zilina.

I hope there won't be any trouble . I'd be watchful for small groups of knobheads (you can tell them because their heads really look like knobs) because there is an active far-right movement in Slovakia, and as you know better than me, some of them see confrontations with England fans as a badge of honour.

Bratislava isn't a big place for a capital city and I think what gets them edgy is large groups, since they are just not used to it. if you and your mates stay away from such large knots of England fans in the evening, you will have more chance of a great time and a friendly reception, I think.

Hope it all goes well, let us know.
  • Options
    Cheers Prague - I think you're right on the latter points.

14 years is a long time in football supporting behaviours. I think any issues this time will be small groups of ours getting picked off away from the ground, unlike the in-ground trouble which both sides were up for in 2002.
  • Options

Cheers Prague - I think you're right on the latter points.

14 years is a long time in football supporting behaviours. I think any issues this time will be small groups of ours getting picked off away from the ground, unlike the in-ground trouble which both sides were up for in 2002.

Enjoy it mate, hope all goes well. We had a great time in the old town when we went a few years ago, I loved it.
  • Options
    Who booked the hotel !!!!
  • Options
    Have ITV just put a repeat on?

Pathetic
  • Options
    Just felt the B-teams come a season closer
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I wish Glenn Hoddle would piss off and take Kane with him.

• Options

I wish Glenn Hoddle would piss off.

I wish all the "pundits" would piss off..

Have seen comments from Butcher / Hoddle / Wright / Waddle / Dixon all moaning about the performance but they act like they won the lot for England and ignore their own inept performances for us.

Not to mention Butcher is the only one who did any Management yet has done nothing from it!!
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I wish Glenn Hoddle would piss off.

I wish all the "pundits" would piss off..

Have seen comments from Butcher / Hoddle / Wright / Waddle / Dixon all moaning about the performance but they act like they won the lot for England and ignore their own inept performances for us.

Not to mention Butcher is the only one who did any Management yet has done nothing from it!!
    Agreed. Don't mind Dixon. But they all spout the same old bollocks.

Butcher is a joke - he must have been sacked at least 8 times at club level.