Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Wed 13th May 1998. Charlton 1 Ipswich 0

2»

Comments

• Options
    Clive Mendonca was withdrawn at the last minute with injury........that made me quite jittery.
  • Options
    It was cauldron of noise that night. I love the TV coverage after Newtons goal, Ilic has his hands in the air and in the background the entire East stand is going absolutely mad.
  • Options
    It was cauldron of noise that night. I love the TV coverage after Newtons goal, Ilic has his hands in the air and in the background the entire East stand is going absolutely mad.
  • Options
    Went to both the home and away legs.
    Thoroughly shattered through nervous tension after both games but the home leg was also exhausting due to the sticky evening and EVERYONE being up for it.
    Someone near me must have brought a big black plastic bag full of cut up newspaper into the Covered End as I could barely see after Newts goal due to the amount of paper in the air.
    Wonderful memories.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: east terrace peanuts[/cite]Clive Mendonca was withdrawn at the last minute with injury........that made me quite jittery.

I'd completely forgot about that. Yes I was wondering where our goal(s) would come from.

Still have fond memories of Shaun Newton. Nearly a VERY good player.
  • Options
    Only downer on the night was the announcer, after the game, congratulating Chelsea on winning the Cup winners cup the same night.

I have never forgiven him : - )
  • Options
    12 years on.......
  • Options
    I was 12, the only thing i remember from the game was Newt's goal, I too was in the West stand with the old man. Sat with the Ipswich fans at Portman Rd for the first leg, never been so nervous in my life. Beaten by them already that season there, I couldnt see anything but an ipswich win. Remember Sasa Ilic's fantastic save in that game as well. Thinking back to these two games makes me so nervous about Friday and Monday. But 12 years on...... I will be there with the old man again tomorrow and Monday night. Come On You Reds, we can do this!
  • Options
    Jeff Wood can not be that old.Off the top of my head Nottingham Forest at home 2nd division was his first game in ,that must read 1974.
  • Options
    It was a different Wood, Fred Wood was our goalie in the 20's, think he was there when we had that cup run to the QF in 1923. Think Forest was Jeff's first game, straight after Graham Tutt got injured at Sunderland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was sat in the West with my mates and Ilic's girlfriend was sat next to us. Prob the most enjoyable game ever, up there with Valley return. Wembly was good but too much pressure to really enjoy.

Had my hair cut last night (he is Charlton fan) and he said his sunday team had a goalkeeping crisis recently and someone asked Ilic if he fancied a game. He duly turned up next day! What is he doing now - thought he was games teacher somewhere??
  • Options
    Last thing I saw about Ilic was he had gotten a couple of small parts in films.
  • Options
    Gives me goosebumps just thinking about this game. The entire ground was rocking for 90 minutes. That picture of Sasa with his arms aloft and everyone in the East Stand going mental is golden. I annoyingly can't find it anywhere on the web, but remember it well from the end of season VHS!
  • Options
    For some reason one of my main memories from that night was the heat. Combined with the roof-less West Stand it felt like a match being played in Spain.

What a great night.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2010
    When Newton scored, I shouted so much that I almost blanked out. Sat down exhausted for about 5mins.

Edit: Made that comment 3 years ago!
  • Options
    12 years ago!! Blimey, now i feel old.
  • Options
    Great night, one of the best I have had at the Valley in 42 years, I was in the Jimmy Seed stand that night as it was segregated with a mix of home and away fans in there, the noise was incredible as we out sung the tractor boys.

Lets hope we are re-living those memorys on Monday night with the sound of "Wem-ber-ley" booming around the ground
  • Options
    God I remember this like it was yesterday. Sat in the East stand, right on the touchline with my missus (well she wasn't then, but I married her a couple of years later). I remember being almost delirious after Newts scored, spending ten minutes abusing Taricco in Spanish and laughing a couple of times as he kept looking round to find out who it was, the surreal atmosphere with the roof being off the West stand, being utterly, hopelessly bladdered on the way home and missing work the next day... That game was one of my favourite ever Charlton moments
  • Options
  • Options
    15 years tonight, what a night!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great evening, and what a goal from Newton.
  • Options
    Greatest home game atmosphere I've witnessed--such a buzz and everyone so happy.And that great,great goal from Newton.The noise was fantastic,the crowd as one,a beautiful,warm evening--it was absolutely perfect.Thank you to all 1997/8 players for that marvellous season and especially to my all-time favourite,Super Clive Mendonca.We didn't know what we were all going to experience just twelve days later!
  • Options
    WSS said:

When Newton scored, I shouted so much that I almost blanked out. Sat down exhausted for about 5mins.

Edit: Made that comment 3 years ago!

I had a similar moment during the '98 world cup final after Owen's first international goal! I was able to shout for longer than I thought was possible and felt like my lungs were empty afterwards. I had to sit down and compose myself for a few minutes afterwards.

Shame that I all 3 playoff games that season. :(
  • Options
    Brilliant night.

Would love to rewatch it
  • Options
    The Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7406386406

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    A more memorable play-off. Hero's everyone of them.