Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reception for Parky

Hope its a decent one personally.

Very mixed period and won't go down as one of the greatest managers in our history

Negative

- should never have got the job in the first place (based on results),
- was questionable in my eyes in his usage of Shelvey.
- managed the Northwich disaster
- managed a humiliation at Millwall

Not Negative

- had to manage through a difficult period with little resources,
- was desperately unlucky not to get us promoted back up to the Champ at the first attempt, both through marginally missing out on automatic in a very strong League 1, and the Bailey pen
- always seemed to come across well and had a good attitude
- players I've spoken to over the years have spoken with praise him
- I quite liked the v-jumper, shirt and tie look

thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if this is more to do with my feelings towards football at the moment but I really don't care either way.

Wouldn't boo the man but I'd put the same amount of effort into clapping him- none
  • Options
    Yea, should never have got the job, as said above. But, I changed my opinion after I met him - came across as very calm and professional. Hope he's given a decent reception.
  • Options
    I'd give him a polite round of applause...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Shouldn't have been given the job but that's not his fault. Even if he had been let go, any replacement was on a hiding to nothing with the resources he had at his disposable.
  • Options

I'd give him a polite round of applause...

I would too if I was there. Think he was a useless twonk but recognise he was working under difficult circumstances although that doesn't excuse his team going down with a whimper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully gets a decent reception, proven himself as a good manager just didn't work out with us. Certainly much better than the unqualified shit we've had recently.
  • Options
    I liked him, notwithstanding the negatives listed above, and the whole results thing around his becoming manager was cack-handed in the extreme. It would have been far far better, and more honest to say here was a decent young manager coming in to try and rebuild (with the understanding that he be given some time).

As it was, other than under the present regime, I cannot think of a worse place for a decent manager. There was almost no way in which any manager could have succeeded under the conditions then faced.

I'd have been very interested to see what he could have achieved with some decent resources (and Bolton may give him that chance).

I'd like him to lose on Saturday though... (but it won't be the end of the world if he doesn't).
  • Options
    Hope he gets a good reception, any other year the points we had would of got us promoted and look at the calibre of players in the league that year we did well to finish where we did without a proper forward.
  • Options
    Nice guy Parky, and he deserves a
    Good reception.
    At the time he left us - he was not good enough for us IMO, and has always been a L1 manager since as I recall.

I've always wondered why he only lasted a few days at Hull all those years ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I hope he gets a good one but it won't be from me as I will be boycotting the game.
  • Options
    A decent manager - done well at more than 1 club, had a tough job on his hands at the valley at the time - never really been given a job at a club on the big stage to become a top manager
  • Options
    Liked him. Did OK with us considering the circumstances. Hope he gets a good welcome back.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Hopefully gets a decent reception, proven himself as a good manager just didn't work out with us. Certainly much better than the unqualified shit we've had recently.

You could say the same thing about Pardew!
  • Options
    Strangely I'm guessing this is his first game back since we sacked him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Talal said:

I very much doubt if any of us could bring ourselves to say anything so complimentary about Pardew...
  • Options
    I wont be there, but hope he gets a good reception, Charlton never worked out for him, but think he done a good job at Reading, Bradford and has made a good start at Bolton hope we stuff them tomorrow though
  • Options
    It'll be neither a good or bad reception from me. I don't wish the guy any ill but from my memory his time here was some of the worst football I've seen. His teams were clueless, had no pattern of play and full of loanees.
  • Options

Hope he gets a good reception, any other year the points we had would of got us promoted and look at the calibre of players in the league that year we did well to finish where we did without a proper forward.

That's a very good point. Went in to the last day with a realistic chance of going up in a league that had Leeds (beat man Utd at Old Trafford and had Delph in the middle) Norwich who had Grant Holt and Hoolahan, Southampton who had Lambert and Llalana??, Swindon who had Charlie Austin upfront and Millwall who if we're honest were a very good team.

Looking at it like that that season in league 1 was nothing short of a miracle
  • Options

Talal said:

Nah Parky came across as a likeable bloke, the world and his wife knows what an arsehole Pardew is.
  • Options
    Not a bit of me. Just another manager in the away dugout as far as im concerned.
  • Options
    Met him a few times - very decent guy and capable manager. Took a lot of unfair stick despite having such a mediocre squad.
    Blame Pardew more than him for the shambles we were in.
  • Options
    Reception for Parky?

Ok he was a nice lad but sausage rolls, crisps and a few ham sandwiches is way over the top imho!
  • Options
    Can't forget the games against Northwich and Millwall, i won't boo him but I won't clap him either