Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our own produced players.

With THD going for a reported £500k.In our history of selling our own players from our academy what has own club got back?.Parker was the biggest at £10m.

Comments

• Options
    You have to remember that this is their vision - sell anything that is worth any money - its got to the point now of selling when we get any bid.

They are destroying our club.
  • Options
    I have found this story (the sale of THD) quite depressing to be honest.

Can't bothered to express or describe it.

bit numb.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Fans pay for the young players through Valley Gold, then KM sells them for RD to pocket, seems a good arrangement to me :smile:

As Large said the other day, why anyone is still in VG is beyond me.
  • Options
    Konsa to go in the January Sales, I mean transfer window.
  • Options
    Could we get a half decent team out of players who have come through the ranks in the last 5 years (admitting Pope/Lookman were not quite "one of our own" but did make their respective break throughs here). Can't think of enough strikers really.

Pope
    Jenkinson. Gomez. Konsa. Solly
    THD. Palmer. Shelvey. Harriott
    Lookman. KAG

Notable others.
    Phillips
    Fox (would be in the team but had to have Solly and Jenks in there so he was squeezed out)!

Team looks more than good enough for league one to me, save an extra striker.

Collective fees in a rough guess, (Pope, £1.2M; Jenks; £1M; Gomez £3.5M; THD £200K; Palmer £300K; Harriott £200K;

Total £6.5M plus Shelvey who I have no idea what we got.

During a time probably unequalled in terms of quality we have bought through and certainly unequalled in terms of money swashing around in the game.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Isn't Valley Gold withholding the money?

If the players coming through were benefitting us (even if that was only by generating income) then I'd be ok with it but as it is Valley Gold really is nothing more than a financial gift to RD!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    londonnewsonline.co.uk/4138/exclusive-charlton-boss-holmes-dennis-wanted-huddersfield-move-losing-first-team-fight-morgan-fox/

It turns out that THD asked to leave. Not much Slade can do if the player has no interest in playing for the club anymore, much like Scott Parker.

In terms of Valley Gold its the scenario you cant really account for, but you could argue that this might not have happened if we were still in championship.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

londonnewsonline.co.uk/4138/exclusive-charlton-boss-holmes-dennis-wanted-huddersfield-move-losing-first-team-fight-morgan-fox/

It turns out that THD asked to leave. Not much Slade can do if the player has no interest in playing for the club anymore, much like Scott Parker.

In terms of Valley Gold its the scenario you cant really account for, but you could argue that this might not have happened if we were still in championship.

True. But why did a lad who joined us aged 8 and was on the fringe of getting in the first team with a fair chance of playing quite a few games for us this season want to leave is the question. Huddersfield apparently have an excellent LB so I can't imagine he is going there with expectations of more game time than he would have had with us. Maybe it was purely for money but I don't see Huddersfield being massive payers. We won't ever know the answer but I am sure we will all have our own theories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016

Isn't Valley Gold withholding the money?

If the players coming through were benefitting us (even if that was only by generating income) then I'd be ok with it but as it is Valkey Gold really is nothing more than a financial gift to RD!

At the moment it is, but they've said they cannot do that forever due to the way the scheme is set up. Eventually they will have to pay up.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Perhaps this is a wider football issue rather than just a Charlton one, but it's frutrating to see a young player asking to leave and it not being challenged. When I've got young employees at work losing their desire and getting a bit moany I manage them. Parker went nuclear and started running round prodding Murray and publicly kicking off after having his head turned by a top Premier League team, and there's no indication THD has done that. He's a young lad and he might well have been upset about not being first choice but that's when an inexperienced youngster needs to be sat down with and spoken to and taught to deal with disappointments, shown how to come back from it and try and get their mentality right. It's not a quick fix but it's really disappointing that having had THD as part of the club for so long at the first sign of unrest we've just allowed him to walk away. Sure, maybe come January or May it might have become clear that he wasn't interested in trying to adapt, but it's sad that these players get such a good grounding coming through the Academy but then no fight is made to keep them with us the moment other clubs start peeking over the wall.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Don't think Lookman and Pope can be said to have come through the ranks. They were non-league. Obvious talent in that area but these two and Pritchard aside, we don't seem to be scouting semi Pros. Ade & Brad turned up on our doorstep. Any other successes in last decade or so? Dicko?
  • Options

Could we get a half decent team out of players who have come through the ranks in the last 5 years (admitting Pope/Lookman were not quite "one of our own" but did make their respective break throughs here). Can't think of enough strikers really.

Pope
    Jenkinson. Gomez. Konsa. Solly
    THD. Palmer. Shelvey. Harriott
    Lookman. KAG

Notable others.
    Phillips
    Fox (would be in the team but had to have Solly and Jenks in there so he was squeezed out)!

Team looks more than good enough for league one to me, save an extra striker.

Collective fees in a rough guess, (Pope, £1.2M; Jenks; £1M; Gomez £3.5M; THD £200K; Palmer £300K; Harriott £200K;

Total £6.5M plus Shelvey who I have no idea what we got.

During a time probably unequalled in terms of quality we have bought through and certainly unequalled in terms of money swashing around in the game.

You're forgetting Poyet. Before his move he was really making big improvements. He moved at the wrong time. Should have done another 2 seasons with us and would now be at somewhere like Arsenal.
  • Options
    ^ Good point, had forgotten all about him. Maybe put him CM in a 5 with KAG dropping to bench in my team above.
  • Options
    Bit surprised that anyone came in for Holmes-Dennis. Thought he was OK and promising, but not so much that he'd move at this stage.