Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes (ed. Pg 4 - joined Oxford on season loan)

Comments

• Options

Maybe I just have poor/selective memory but I'm having a hard time remembering if a player coming back for a second spell with us has ever really been successful or anywhere near as good as the first spell?

I was gonna go for Jason Lee but surely the best example is Lawrie Wilson
  • Options

Firmani - returned twice. Killer. Flanagan.
  • Options

Maybe I just have poor/selective memory but I'm having a hard time remembering if a player coming back for a second spell with us has ever really been successful or anywhere near as good as the first spell?

Johnnie Jackson!
  • Options
    Can’t see where he would fit in.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Joe Gomez.

It's just not happened yet. :smile:

I look forward to 54 year old Jomez coming on loan to cover right back in division 2
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Would definitely prefer Holmes over Clarke or Fosu.

Very early to judge but Williams looks a level above all three of them. A natural number 10 rather than a converted wide player like Holmes and Fosu.
    I agree actually. The only thing I would like is some goals from the midfield. Will help to get another striker but there is huge pressure on grant and Taylor to keep scoring
  • Options

Scoham said:

Very early to judge but Williams looks a level above all three of them. A natural number 10 rather than a converted wide player like Holmes and Fosu.
    I agree actually. The only thing I would like is some goals from the midfield. Will help to get another striker but there is huge pressure on grant and Taylor to keep scoring
    Pratley scored last week v Shrewsbury.

Reeves scored a couple of weeks before that v Barnsley.

Aribo scored a couple of weeks before that v Blackpool.

Williams will score on Saturday against Accrington. I dunno, some people are never satisfied! :smile:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

I was gonna go for Jason Lee but surely the best example is Lawrie Wilson
    Not sure you can count Wilson.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Williams will score on Saturday against Accrington. I dunno, some people are never satisfied! :smile:

We don't have a midfielder who will score 10 goals this season. That might just be the difference. If we had Holmes or last season's Fosu we would be fine. Getting a third striker should ease the burden though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Killer
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I swear I read somewhere that Bowyer thought Holmes was a trouble maker and didn't want him?

I don't believe he implied trouble maker, just Billy Big Bollox.

But you're right, having been given the opportunity to bring back Holmes, Bowyer passed on him.

Mentioned this before, my work colleague is friends with a 1st team staff member, Holmes allegedly has a very big ego and gives it the large one
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

We don't have a midfielder who will score 10 goals this season. That might just be the difference. If we had Holmes or last season's Fosu we would be fine. Getting a third striker should ease the burden though.
    Yes, we do ..... Joe Aribo.

He has 5 already, all scored in the 1st half of the season - and despite being currently injured, once he returns, he'll surely pick up another handful of goals.

• Options
    Also, last season all but the final run in was played to Robinson's celebrated 4-2-3-1, with just poor old Josh Magennis ploughing a lonely furrow up top.

As you'll remember, the idea was the 3 attacking midfielders were to be set up to score plenty in that system.

This season with Bowyer's diamond, while the midfield are expected to contribute their share, the emphasis is more on creating chances for the front 2.

• Options
    edited January 2019

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Aribo is on 5 and was on a bit of a run before he get injured. If he comes back soon ish I don't see why he can't target 8+ for the season. Jonny will get a few, Fosu a couple and Cullen a couple. Reeves should too. On top of the Defence chipping in at set pieces - big Nabs is due a goal. We should be alright.

As long as Taylor and Grant stay fit that is.
  • Options
    At the Millwall friendly today.
  • Options
    Mike Bailey had a pretty successful return 
  • Options
    Not as a player he didn't and Holmes is a long way off being managerial material.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Which makes me think that if we ever want promotion, first choice has to get an ex player in as manager...bowyer, powell, Curbs, Bailey...the only other managers to achieve promotion in all the years I’ve been a charlton fan are Andy Nelson and Lennie Lawrence - cant think of any others to get promotion since the sixties and before that it was probably jimmy seed...ex charlton players win it
  • Options
    At the Millwall friendly today.
    Signing for Concord Rangers then.....😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a shame, thought he was a great player for us when fit. Didn’t realise he’s only made five appearances in 2.5 years at Sheffield United though. 
  • Options
    Was certainly a very exciting player to watch, though I often felt like we played very one dimensionally when he was in the team. 
  • Options
    Ricky Holmes at that time in full flight was my favourite player! Was in the Gillingham end when they beat us and they were petrified of him! 
    A shame how it’s turned out for him. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    What a shame, thought he was a great player for us when fit. Didn’t realise he’s only made five appearances in 2.5 years at Sheffield United though. 
    He only really spent 6 months there didn't he? He spent the 18-19 season on loan and then has been injured ever since. He went on loan to Gillingham and didn't even play a single game.
  • Options
    Great player, never forget the game at Shrewsbury where he scored a great hat-trick and how devastated he looked at the final whistle...
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Was certainly a very exciting player to watch, though I often felt like we played very one dimensionally when he was in the team. 
    That's because everyone else was shit!

He was a great player for us and scored some great goals.