Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hyperandrogenism / Caster Semenya & others

Comments

• *Nepalese
  • Surprised Semenya has the balls to compete as a female athlete. Must know what training her contemporaries do. Doubt she does half.

Ignorance.
  • What would you say if Sharp was your daughter ?

Not only have you to put up with the state drugged cheating
    Russians. but someone, because Nature can do some strange things,
    has the body and Testosterone of a man. but because she doesn't have a penis is still classified as a Woman.

I would say try another sport. (not weight lifting)
  • I would say 'have you considered trying to have her banned?'

'If you can't get her banned can you undermine her confidence in some other way?'

'If that doesn't work, can you get another competitor to trip her up fairly regularly?'

'Are you happy with Silver?'

'I know a guy who knows a guy who could make this problem go away for a few G, how important to you is this, is it worth a life?'

And if she said yes, I would talk to her about her priorities and maybe then disown her or never speak to her again.
  • I didn't mean if the dad or daughter was in the Mafia !
  • edited August 2016

What would you say if Sharp was your daughter ?

has the body and Testosterone of a man. but because she doesn't have a penis is still classified as a Woman.

What if your son had to compete against Phelps ?

It seems extraordinary to me that people will overlook male competitors who have genetic advantages over their rivals but will concentrate on this. Has anyone who thinks CS shouldn't compete against women explained why Phelps should be allowed to compete against "normal" men ?
  • se9addick said:

It seems extraordinary to me that people will overlook male competitors who have genetic advantages over the rivals but will concentrate on this. Has anyone who thinks CS shouldn't compete against women explained why Phelps should be allowed to compete against "normal" men ?
    SE9 are you serious ?

In every sport some men have a born advantage over other men.

Going back to Bjorn Borg he had such a slow heart beat that he had a big advantage over other Tennis players who had a "Normal" heart beat.
    but he could be beaten. Not often at Wimbledon thou.

Phelps had this great lung Capacity but he could be beaten as Chad le clos
    proved when he was only 20 in London 2012.

Caster Semenya can't be beaten by a female athlete, who has a average 2% testosterone against a "Female" Athlete with over 10% in a 800 metre race.

I'm not saying she should take the medication but when she did she came last in a race that i watched.

The athletes who feel they shouldn't race against her should stay on their blocks and force the power that be to make a decision.

Otherwise the 99% are suffering so the 1% can jog round and win races in a canter.

• se9addick said:

It seems extraordinary to me that people will overlook male competitors who have genetic advantages over their rivals but will concentrate on this. Has anyone who thinks CS shouldn't compete against women explained why Phelps should be allowed to compete against "normal" men ?
    I'd have thought it's because Phelps' "genetic advantage" doesn't cross the gender divide and the lady's does. The first way competitors get divided up in most, if not all, sports is on their sex. If we started dividing competitors up on how far their arms bent back, or if they can touch their nose with their tongue, then imo your point would stand, but we don't do we?

Imo
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    Not got an opinion on this woman tbh, but just thought it was obvious shy the debate is being had
  • se9addick said:

It seems extraordinary to me that people will overlook male competitors who have genetic advantages over the rivals but will concentrate on this. Has anyone who thinks CS shouldn't compete against women explained why Phelps should be allowed to compete against "normal" men ?
    SE9 are you serious ?

Going back to Bjorn Borg he had such a slow heart beat that he had a big advantage over other Tennis players who had a "Normal" heart beat.

Caster Semenya can't be beaten by a female athlete, who has a average 2% testosterone against a "Female" Athlete with over 10% in a 800 metre race.

I'm not saying she should take the medication but when she did she came last in a race that i watched.

The athletes who feel they shouldn't race against her should stay on their blocks and force the power that be to make a decision.

Otherwise the 99% are suffering so the 1% can jog round and win races in a canter.

But Semenya can and has been beaten by other women ? Usuain Bolt hasn't lost a 100m/200m at the Olympics for over a decade, should he be banned too ?
  • edited August 2016
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

SE9 are you serious ?

But Semenya can and has been beaten by other women ? Usuain Bolt hasn't lost a 100m/200m at the Olympics for over a decade, should he be banned too ?
    Using your logic, all Paralympians whose disability is 'genetic' should be asked to compete in the Olympics and only those who have conditions as a result of an injury or accident can compete in the Paralympics
  • edited August 2016
    ...the whole Pistorious argument again and I don't mean the one about him shooting his Mrs
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

SE9 are you serious ?

Semenya was beaten when she was on medication or when she was a very young teenager.

Bolt is a man who somehow at 6ft 5in can out stride and out pace his opponents over 100 and 200 metres.
    Usain Bolt Doesn't "cross the Gender divide"

Gold Medal For i-b-b-o-r-g for the above quote.

• London 2012 gold medallist Mariya Savinova has been stripped of her 800m title and banned until 2019.

The Russian has had all her results from July 2010 to August 2013 annulled after being found guilty of doping.

Savinova beat South Africa's Caster Semenya into second at the London Olympics and the 2011 Worlds in Daegu.
  • Russian athletes in drugs cheating. I never saw that one coming.
  • Russian athletes in drugs cheating. I never saw that one coming.

Fake news.
  • Caster Semenya has lost a landmark case against athletics' governing body meaning it will be allowed to restrict testosterone levels in female runners.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) rejected the South African's challenge against the IAAF's new rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48102479

• edited May 2019
    Good.
    She might still appeal to the Court of Human Rights.
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:

Caster Semenya has lost a landmark case against athletics' governing body meaning it will be allowed to restrict testosterone levels in female runners.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) rejected the South African's challenge against the IAAF's new rules.

I don't see how this ban can stand up in a court of law. 
  • This was inevitably going to be an issue when separating competitors on arbitrary biological differences. There was always going to be an edge case the found the rules wanting.

Female athletes basically compete in a pool where those who biology would give them an unfair advantage are removed. In that way removing Semenya from that pool is no different. That is presumably what CAS has found, that once you can use biology as a determinator for who and who can't compete, then it is hypocritical to then start claiming that one form of biological segregation is OK, whilst another very similar (and many would argue idenitical) form of segregation should somehow not be allowed.
  • clive said:

Caster Semenya has lost a landmark case against athletics' governing body meaning it will be allowed to restrict testosterone levels in female runners.

I don't see how this ban can stand up in a court of law. 
    I don't believe it has to stand on its own so long as it is in line with the eligibility regulations that the IAAF brought in last year around competitive fairness in women's athletics.
  • This is dreadful of course and hardly even to do with sport. This is, as usual, about the policing of women's bodies, with a side-order of racial discrimination 
  • edited May 2019
    "You have a natural advantage, and we are ordering you to take drugs to make you unnaturally disadvantaged."

Switch around advantage/disadvantaged in the above sentence and what do you get...

I mean, this is doping. And if we get into the ethics of doping, then surely it's just as bad both ways round?

I feel really bad for Caster Semenya, Dutee Chand and the like - they just want to run as they are, which is natural.
  • I agree that the Semenya case (DSD / intersex) should be dealt with differently than transitioned males to females competing in women's events.
  • I actually think that the decision is the correct decision. As she has unusually high T levels the playing field is not level unless they manage her levels. 
  • And every basketball player over six foot six should have shin reduction surgery. Jesus wept, listen to yourself!
  • edited May 2019
    Unfortunately, comparing apples with cat food doesn't help.