Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boycott the Boycott

I'm only directing this at fans that specifically don't want to go to the valley and attend games because they don't want to fill the owners pockets....otherwise, if it wasn't for that, they would be attending. Any other reason for not attending is absolutely none of my business and nothing I can possibly question.
I feel cheeky saying the following in this post as....Im in Canada and I probably snuck out the country just at the right time in relation to football matters.

I had a rough week in my personal life. No need to explain. The fact that I've just stated I had a personal problem on ere is embarrassing enough. I've over came stuff and I'm absolutely over the moon. To the point where I actually go back to a quote from curbs "never get too happy or too down about anything". What he said was obviously about charltons results!

Roland isn't doing this for money. He's got enough. He doesn't even make good use of his money...on anything normal-ish people can relate to anyway.
If Roland comes out and says "look at this Rolex and all this bling....I specifically used the money to get this from stupid Charlton fans wasting dosh on home games".
"That 3rd of revenue for me equals sex drugs and rock n roll"

If any scenario like that does apply...as he's most likely invested in another shed for another batch of duck tape. He could publicly brag about that but then, rightly so, a white van will soon be parked outside his house.

What I've learnt recently is that you can't fight hate with hate or repression....or running away! It would be simpler if it was a boxing match, but it's not.

I think a ground full of "Roland Out" banners ...."we love our charlton more"

There are plenty of ways to make it clear that you still think the regime are the pathetic bunch they are.

It can be overcome.

Otherwise a bunch of morons...and the football hating moron king, Mr Roland Duchatelet, has influenced your behaviour. Don't let that be.

News flash. He doesn't give a flying monkeys whether Charlton win or lose or whether or not you turn up to the games.

He's a 70 year old tosspot that still knows nothing about football.

Don't let people that are beneath many things, like silly sausage Katrien Meire, wind you up to the point
Where it stops you from doing the thing you wanted to do.

I know it's hard and this probably doesn't make sense and I fear if I was back in Engand, I would be a hypocrite because I really would maybe not fancy going.

Really no point in worrying whether or not some bloke from Belgium "is winning".

You can go to the game, have an amazing fry up beforehand then go to a decent pub....then take the piss
Out of the regime during the match.

"I knew they'd come crawling back" is something Roland will never think or
Never say, because he doesn't give a sh*t about the club in any format. He probably wants to strip the assets but for now, will make sure people are just still guessing, via hiring a British manager along with a few relevant signings.

The smokescreen of 2016.

The club needs to be off this blokes hands because it's all just so toxic. I've changed my mind as I'm writing this post.

But maybe think about it

Comments

• Options
    A lot of that has probably gone through our (Boycotters) minds too.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    To use a restaurant analogy, it is like having a restaurant with a rubbish owner that interferes with the running of the business, that short staffs, has an unsustainable business plan, ignores customer feedback on the poor service, terrible food from cheap ingredients and thinks that a lick of paint will make up for substandard product. Then having that restaurant be empty and fail, having upset all the regulars, send out mail drop to get a few local customers in for all the loyal ones that have left. The restaurant continues to lose money and the owner then wants to sell on the restaurant to a new owner and make them pay for all the mistakes that they have made.

Would Duchatelet do that ? I really don't know why, he would expect anyone else too. Jimensz had to sell because they run out of money. Duchatelet's project is losing money and will continue to do so. Add in Brexit and protests with no easy way to make money off the real estate without very significant opposition and delay that Charlton supporters would cause in that process. Duchatelet hates losing money and the visionary, although stubborn will see that the only end game is to sell. It is not a question of if but when. Hopefully sooner rather than later but Charlton supporters have to keep up the creative & astute opposition.
  • Options
    vff said:

The ABC behaviour PR gaffe has really tipped things against the regime in football and the wider media. The grounding for that was all the protests last season which were diverse and mostly astute to expose the ineptness and stupidity of the regime.

Charlton supporters should retain hope that continued smart opposition will strongly encourage Duchatelet to sell up. If the regime were not bothered by the supporters attendance, then why falsify / distort the first home games attendance with freebies and comps ? Thats not just a futile attempt to gain new supporters to replace all the ones that Duchatelet & Meire have aggravated from the club. Why the constant Meire's foot in mouth attempts to try and sell the Duchatelet stategy to the general media ?

I appreciate the direction you are speaking from @Dave21 but it is good for opposition to continue. I don't intend to renew my season ticket or purchase anything from the club until they sell up. There's lots of different. positive & entertaining ways to show opposition. The Duchatelet overall project is failing badly and one home victory against Shrewsbury doesn't change that.

@Dave21 - in three paragraphs vff has outlined precisely why the opposition to the Duchatelet/Meire regime should continue.

Remember, RD and KM are not just attempting to change the business operation of Charlton they have, by wilful design or sheer ignorance, disengaged with the fan base and have lost sight, if they ever had it, of the heart and soul of the club.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    You may be right but the option as I see it is to do something or do nothing. I think back to the Selhurst days. I decided then to keep going and I think it was important that some people did, But it was also important that many didn't. I went to the Shrewsbury game but envisage less than a handful of homes all season. This is me doing my bit the best I can - I and my family spend a lot at the Valley every season - buying kits, food, drinks and of course season tickets. Well at least we did. That will mostly be spent on away games now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next."

Belgians out !
  • Options
    Good points well made. And for me that is part of the reason why I will pick and choose some games to go to, when there is a protest planned or if I can get free/cheap tickets. Still significantly less money then I would normally spend but I still get to go and make my voice heard.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I have been very happy at the away games, (despite twould defeats) and missing home games (despite missing an unbeaten start I always want the team to win),

I will continue to provide not a penny more but don't feel like I am hurting myself.

Edit I will attend the games where in stadium protests are announced.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016

vff said:

The ABC behaviour PR gaffe has really tipped things against the regime in football and the wider media. The grounding for that was all the protests last season which were diverse and mostly astute to expose the ineptness and stupidity of the regime.

Charlton supporters should retain hope that continued smart opposition will strongly encourage Duchatelet to sell up. If the regime were not bothered by the supporters attendance, then why falsify / distort the first home games attendance with freebies and comps ? Thats not just a futile attempt to gain new supporters to replace all the ones that Duchatelet & Meire have aggravated from the club. Why the constant Meire's foot in mouth attempts to try and sell the Duchatelet stategy to the general media ?

I appreciate the direction you are speaking from @Dave21 but it is good for opposition to continue. I don't intend to renew my season ticket or purchase anything from the club until they sell up. There's lots of different. positive & entertaining ways to show opposition. The Duchatelet overall project is failing badly and one home victory against Shrewsbury doesn't change that.

@Dave21 - in three paragraphs vff has outlined precisely why the opposition to the Duchatelet/Meire regime should continue.

Remember, RD and KM are not just attempting to change the business operation of Charlton they have, by wilful design or sheer ignorance, disengaged with the fan base and have lost sight, if they ever had it, of the heart and soul of the club.

I agree @Coyotejohn1947 but I think it runs deeper than just losing sight of the heart and soul of Charlton. Duchatelet and Meire do not understand the heart and soul of football supporters in general. Duchatelet & Meire (& their advisors) are not true football supporters, I would question if Duchatelet even likes football as a sport. This fundamental misunderstanding of the supporter / customer base misinforms their whole strategy.

Football is not like a T20 cricket (with all due respect to true cricket supporters) where there is a whole lot of gimmicky window dressing as there is a lack of confidence in the core product. I went to a Surrey T20 cricket match about a month ago and the game was almost incidental to the majority of the people attending. It was tolerable to have a beer in the sunshine for something, people didn't seem bothered about. The cricket was a backdrop.

Football is not like that and there is much focus and intensity in watching the game. If you are on the phone or not engaged in the game, it is not a very good game. A great football game will take all your attention and there is much more theatre. It also much more challenging and effort to watch a winter mid week evening game on a freezing night or very cold bleak Saturday afternoon.

The Duchatelet football vision as articulated by Meire is based on an utterly flawed perception and consequently doomed to failure. Reality will dawn on Duchatelet in the money he is frittering away. IMO Duchatelet will sell.
  • Options

The only person/people that are being hurt by the boycott are the boycotters.

Looking around the covered end last saturday afternoon and Tuesday night and it was a third full of people some of whom were that are there for the social side of the game, the hope of seeing a good match and if they are lucky a win and if they are really lucky a good season. The signs are they are going to get all of these. Boycotting makes no sense because if the team does well then others will go to the valley (a la premiership years) buy the tickets and sit in those vacant seats.

Corrected it for you.
  • Options

How about a mix and match policy?
    Boycott some games, all turn up and protest at others.

Boycott the expensive games . Protest at the games for a fiver. Also think card should pick an away game where it will be cheap and take a few thousand for a day out.
  • Options
    Those who continue to back the regime are happy with the boycott as they claim it enables them to watch games in a much more pleasant atmosphere. How nice for them. I think we all do what we think is best and respect the views of others. We all (almost all) want the same thing. Duchatalet out, Meire to sling her hook and the club to start rebuilding with united supporters behind them.
  • Options
    I'm in this for the long run. And so is my son.

This season is going to be like a diet for me. Short term pain for long term gain.

I'll go to very few home games, but plenty of away games to get my fix and support the team.

I'll be back when our arrogant owner and his impotent stooge have gone.
  • Options
    I'm a failed boycotter, sometimes. I really don't want to go and part with my money but it's hard to resist the draw of a pint and good moan with my friends of many years.
    I didn't go Tuesday night despite being off work but I did miss it and followed the game from my iPad. I probably go to some matches this season but it will depend on how I feel on the day, how the team are playing, who we are playing, what the weather is doing and if there is still a pub open.
    Once out of a habit it gets easier to find excuses reasons to do something else. I probably be there next game but Charlton can no longer count on my support week in week out.
    Roland might want to rewrite football finances, (I think he's on a loser there), he's actually saving me bundles.
  • Options
    No way back, enough is enough.