Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Games for long car journeys

Any good ones you play to stop the kids getting bored? Few journeys coming up soon!

Car cricket is a classic but ruined a bit by the prevalence of motorways (and no pubs).

I remember playing 'horse' and 'Eddie Stobart' as a kid, just who spots them first. Bit boring though!

Comments

• Any good ones you play to stop the kids getting bored? Few journeys coming up soon!

Car cricket is a classic but ruined a bit by the prevalence of motorways (and no pubs).

That's alright....it'd just be like watching Boycott bat.
  • Trying to be the first to spot Beatle cars. The first to shout the colour of the one you spot, wins the point. 1 point for modern style, 2 points for modern convertible, 3 points for old style, 4 points for old style convertible. Except for red. If you call and point a red one you lose all your points.
  • Just do a capital cities quiz. Stick to Europe to keep the kids entertained and add the odd tricky one from South America to entertain the wife.

But here's the exciting bit...If they get an answer wrong, you have to crash the car and kill your whole family.

Hmm. Just done a road trip through France and Spain covering 3500 miles and can safely say that a significant majority of French motorway drivers seem to have been playing the above game and with a geography knowledge similar to the great George Bush.

(When visiting Latin America he announced to his aid that he would need an interpreter that speaks 'Latin')
  • Buy in car videos for the rear seats
  • Trying to be the first to spot Beatle cars. The first to shout the colour of the one you spot, wins the point. 1 point for modern style, 2 points for modern convertible, 3 points for old style, 4 points for old style convertible. Except for red. If you call and point a red one you lose all your points.

Me and my brother used to do a variation of this called 'punch buggy'. Out of your side of the window, every time you see a beetle, shout 'punch buggy (colour)' - eg: PUNCH BUGGY RED, then give the other passe her a dead arm. Worked out great for me, being 3 years older...
  • Brazil v Italy, 1970
  • Who can sleep the longest gets £50 normally does the trick. Shuts the wife up! Obviously the driver can't play it!
  • Brazil v Italy, 1970

Ten years on - still got it !!!!
  • We play alphabet cars - working as a team, you have to try to spot a car (can be make or model) that starts with an A, then a B, etc all the way to Z. To keep things ticking over on tough letters, you can also choose a joker that counts as the any letter (E.g. Dacia sanderos, or cars with Belgian number plates.)

Or for cabin pressure fans, there's always Yellow Car
  • Sponsored links:

• Shout out every mistake made by Roland and Katrien since the takeover.
  • Shout out a Roland signing and then get the kids to guess the undisclosed transfer fee

Me and my brother used to do a variation of this called 'punch buggy'. Out of your side of the window, every time you see a beetle, shout 'punch buggy (colour)' - eg: PUNCH BUGGY RED, then give the other passe her a dead arm. Worked out great for me, being 3 years older...
    We did it with Royal Mail vans at school.

For 7 years.

Just up from the massive sorting office on West Hill in Dartford.
  • A to Z game. Choose a category and each person has to name something relating to that category that begins with A, then B, then C all the way to Z. Can be foods, countries, girls names, animals, whatever you want
  • We play alphabet cars - working as a team, you have to try to spot a car (can be make or model) that starts with an A, then a B, etc all the way to Z. To keep things ticking over on tough letters, you can also choose a joker that counts as the any letter (E.g. Dacia sanderos, or cars with Belgian number plates.)

You're always playing Yellow Car.
  • Shopping list.

First person says "I went to the shop and bought a *something beginning with A*
    Next person says "I went to the shop and bought a *repeat the A item and add a B item"
    Next person repeats the shopping list back and adds an item beginning with C

The more players the better as you have to remember what everyone else has added to the shopping list.

Also a variant of the same game is "I was making a sandwich and I put in a..."
    Same principle but only food items instead.
  • FORD said:

Who can sleep the longest gets £50 normally does the trick. Shuts the wife up! Obviously the driver can't play it!

Can I've a lift mate?
  • Play the game where you have to name the amount of people @ElfsborgAddick has ponced a beer off. That should cover the duration of the journey.

I would suggest naming the amount of people he has brought a beer for, but that would last as long as it takes to reverse off your drive and on to the road.
  • Play the game where you have to name the amount of people @ElfsborgAddick has ponced a beer off. That should cover the duration of the journey.

I would suggest naming the amount of people he has brought a beer for, but that would last as long as it takes to reverse off your drive and on to the road.

F*** that Mr Otto, I have saved you bundles over the years.

Apart from when people are buying me drinks I'm always getting the first round in.
  • Sponsored links:

• A better game is you being able to keep your trap shut for more than 10 seconds.
  • A better game is you being able to keep your trap shut for more than 10 seconds.

That my friend isnt an option.
  • edited August 2016

A better game is you being able to keep your trap shut for more than 10 seconds.

I bet you talk to yourself.

I reckon you're good at scrabble.

I bet you talk to yourself.

I reckon you're good at scrabble.
    Sometimes I do - always get the answer I'm looking for then.

Borra Palmeiras!
  • Pop master. Get song and artist. Can do this with CD or dab radio with display covered.
  • Sedative Smarties always seems to work with my kids.
  • edited August 2016
    What you doing driving anyway? Should be getting the train. I'm starting to question if you actually support Charlton.
  • What you doing driving anyway? Should be getting the train. I'm starting to question if you actually support Charlton.

The only driving I do is on the golf course.