Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland is winning

Just seen this opinion on Twitter, the fact that there aren't any protests inside the stadium means that people are enjoying their football at The Valley. The boycott means there aren't enough people willing to protest outside the ground so the momentum gained last season is being lost - sorry to say but I don't think Roland is going anywhere any time soon - like or loath her, there seems to be an awful lot more of the Sue Parkes brigade than there used to be & it's giving the impression that the protesters are the minority faction.

Just over 9k announced at The Valley last night but if Roland isn't in it for the money then it's a fight we can't win, all it does is keep people away from their club.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016
    He's winning?

That all depends on what game he's playing I guess. He certainly has a higher profile in the UK now then he did have, so if that was his aim then he's laughing.
  • Options
    Heard he beat himself in a game of snap last night, so I suppose he is winning
  • Options
    How can he be winning without learning his lessons of failure?

3-0 against Shrewsbury does not mean 3-0 to Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're in League 1, that tells Roland a lot in itself.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say he's winning. CARD have said and kept their word that there wouldn't be any in game protests for August. It was a good result last night but a 3-0 win over Shrewsbury won't undo 2 years of damage. I think most remaining fans in the ground want to encourage the team as much as possible, but are probably of the opinion RD isn't the right owner to take us forward.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    If we strengthen the midfield we will have a fair chance of going up. Not sure how that means he is winning - We are in League One - it is the minimum we should expect. When was the last time we got a 9k crowd for a League game?
  • Options

If we strengthen the midfield we will have a fair chance of going up. Not sure how that means he is winning - We are in League One - it is the minimum we should expect. When was the last time we got a 9k crowd for a League game?

1997. See above.
  • Options
    For those who think the win over Shrewsbury makes it all OK, take a look at the attached spreadsheet that shows Charlton and Shrewsbury have performed since 2000.
  • Options
    It's stalemate. if this carries on for some time then he will start to 'win', because essentially he is very happy with a steady enough crowd (he will just lower wages etc.) and to be able to carry out his factory of players and other material/property plans. For us to win we need the protest actions to increase all time, each month the attendances and money drops - he will notice this on his spreadsheets and the like - if we can keep that up for some time then we will win.
  • Options
    We have to accept there is an element (largely found on SE7 Valiants!) who believe this is going well and there is no need for change. I suspect that a 20-30% fall in attendances will not overly bother him. Back a lack of success might. And what was clear from last season is that large-scale protests do get to him, and they certainly rattle the dire Katrien Meire. So we have to decide whether the hit to his pocket by staying away has a bigger impact that the week-in, week-out protests against the regime. The latter are certainly going to get the media attention.
  • Options
    Who'll blink first?
  • Options

For those who think the win over Shrewsbury makes it all OK, take a look at the attached spreadsheet that shows Charlton and Shrewsbury have performed since 2000.

Sorry, means nothing. Why pick 2000? Why not from 1950?

Mark Twain said there are 3 types of lie: Lies, damned lies and statistics.

And, just to be sure you know I'm not having a go at you personally, when I was working my job title was "Statistician"...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he will always believe he is "wining--right etc" its what Cults and egotists do/are. In no way will he see anything as a failure, its just taking longer to show his way is the ONLY way.

if he was going anywhere he wouldnt have put Watt and Igor out on loan but taken what ever he could get.

As fans we are stuck in crap position--wanting our team to win but wanting them out

IMO we can win the media/PR war every day(and are) but it wont make one iota of difference to Roland far away in RolandVille where we can and wont see it.
    Take on and intimidate his arselickers here one by one---when they go (and they will) he wont be able to function in the way he wants----much like using his Eurotrash players/managers --he will either bring in proper CEO etc or sell

PS dont know if CARD know this but staff were issued Stanley Knives to burst any beach balls thrown on the pitch
  • Options
    He ain't winning anything. His "investment" is worth less than it was when he bought it. His contacts and much of his staff face daily ridicule - and deservedly so. He's losing money every day. His reputation has been damaged immeasurably in this country, and almost certainly his own. A few comfortable victories in this piss-pot division won't change anything.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Greenie said:

Just seen this opinion on Twitter, the fact that there aren't any protests inside the stadium means that people are enjoying their football at The Valley. The boycott means there aren't enough people willing to protest outside the ground so the momentum gained last season is being lost - sorry to say but I don't think Roland is going anywhere any time soon - like or loath her, there seems to be an awful lot more of the Sue Parkes brigade than there used to be & it's giving the impression that the protesters are the minority faction.

Just over 9k announced at The Valley last night but if Roland isn't in it for the money then it's a fight we can't win, all it does is keep people away from their club.

This. I alluded to the same in my post from Monday. When I went on Saturday, there were no protests in the stadium. The Liar can report back and tell the Rat that all is well with the good ship Charlton and will spin it so that the falling attendances are the result of relegation.

I really think that CARD have shot themselves in the foot with the boycotting action. If you take away your voice you cannot be heard, you lose publicity that the protests need tot get national attention.
    The Rat has enough money to bankroll any losses until we are promoted back to the championship or further.
    Personally I think a rethink on protest strategy is required.
    It is true that Roland has enough money to fund considerable losses but that doesn't mean he will do so. He has no love for Charlton and he won't want to subsidise the club for years and years. You say that he can do this until we return to the Championship or further. It was his refusal to use his money in a meaningful and rational way that caused our relegation in the first place. Even if we got promoted back to the Championship he isn't likely to have to stop subsidising the club to stop us falling back down again. The idea that under Roland we could get a further promotion to the Premier League is risible as that would require an investment that he clearly not prepared to contemplate.

For anyone who thinks that he has somehow learnt his lesson following our relegation I would remind people that he has owned a number of clubs for years and he has run them all in the same year for that time.

His object appears to be to prove that he can run football clubs in a different way to anybody else. He has been quoted as saying that winning games is not his priority but you appear to believe that promotion, even to the Premiership, is somehow an eventual inevitability. I think that the absolute best one can hope for under this regime is to yo-yo between this division and the Championship. I think eventual relegation to an even lower division is more likely. From what we know, Roland would be satisfied with that as long as he then he could break even or better by selling players or perhaps other commercial enterprises based around the Valley.
    All the above is supposition and guess work with a couple of exceptions.

I dont understand why you say that I appear to think that promotion to the Prem is inevitable because i said that he could bankroll us until we are promoted. I never said it was inevitable????

We wont get relegated to L2, you have seen the players he has bought to help us get back to the Championship. I will stick my neck out and say that Promotion to the Championship MUST be a requirement this season for the Rat.

So what do we know.....we know that there are no protests because of the boycotts, this would lead us to make an assumption that the Liar is very happy with that fact. I think that would be a given. We MUST protest en masse in the ground.

Also I dont think the Rat is winning, at the moment I just see losers on both sides, good decent people who have been going to football for years upon years, now cant go because of the position that the Owners have placed them in, I see a once proud family football club, the envy of all football clubs the same or similar size reduced to a shell of its former self, with fans of all ages verbally fighting with each other, possibly as a way of venting off steam, because they have seen the owners 'strategy' and 'vision' fail, and are frustrated that he wont sell, which in turn means that the Charlton phoenix cannot rise from the Belgium ashes.

Thats what I do know, but one day there will be a winner, and we all know who it will be, and he wont be from Belgium.

• Options
    Greenie,

Fair enough, you have expanded your reasoning and I understand it better now. I used "inevitable" because you said when not if.

I still feel that boycotting denies the regime large sums of money and in my opinion the bigger his losses the sooner he goes.
  • Options

Sorry, means nothing. Why pick 2000? Why not from 1950?

Mark Twain said there are 3 types of lie: Lies, damned lies and statistics.

And, just to be sure you know I'm not having a go at you personally, when I was working my job title was "Statistician"...
    A significant (you'll like that word) part of working life is using statistics; I certainly wasn't trying to abuse statistics in any way. I chose 2000 as it was a sort of landmark year and I couldn't be bothered to type in more data.

The only point that I was trying to make was that getting a win in our fourth competitive game of the season against a club like Shrewsbury Town is hardly a highlight in our history. If it is a turning point, there is a long way to go.
  • Options
    If he is winning I can't wait to see what him losing looks like.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mametz said:

Greenie,

Fair enough, you have expanded your reasoning and I understand it better now. I used "inevitable" because you said when not if.

I still feel that boycotting denies the regime large sums of money and in my opinion the bigger his losses the sooner he goes.

Ultimately we all want the same thing, but selling some of our more valuable players would see the money he has lost through ST sales go straight back to him. We got near enough 1 million for Pope, so that would be a nice buffer for a start.
    I hope Im wrong and the boycotts work, I also feel that we should protest inside the ground, I really dont care what needs to be done, within decency, like you Mametz, I just want my club back

Cheers