Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Shrewsbury- Match Thread

Evening to the midweek crew, likely to be boosted tonight by a number of absentees from The Valley

Also missing tonight is @Redmidland with a slight knock but should be back in the squad for Saturday.

Is anyone able to step in tonight with updates?

Comments

• And after the dismal first half showing on Saturday we learn absolutely nothing. We are asking for it tonight.
  • edited August 2016
    Interesting that the team is unchanged, we certainly played better in the second half with Lookman on, and Bauer if fit for the bench should be close to full fitness.

Let's hope we click together quicker this evening than we did at the weekend
  • Win boys, just win COYR
  • Leuth said:

Unchanged XI and bench. Foley and Jackson still in midfield. Maybe they'll have had new legs installed?

Not Jacko. They've gone. Legless. He'll be good for goal no 52 tonight though.
  • No Lookman? Jesus H Christ
  • Evening to the midweek crew, likely to be boosted tonight by a number of absentees from The Valley

Also missing tonight is @Redmidland with a slight knock but should be back in the squad for Saturday.

His legs had gone when Jacko was just twinkle in his old mans eyes. ;)
  • That's disappointing. Slade with a blind spot on his midfield? Hope not. I'd have played either Lookman or Botaka and gone at them. It's only Shrewsbury for goodness sake!
  • Sponsored links:

• For me if we don't win this game, the blame rests solely with RS. Very negative selection for a very winnable home game. Play some attacking football lad.
  • We'll win tonight, quite comfortably
  • And regardless of people's views on Jacko, he is certainly not best suited to left mid over playing in the centre.... Unless Foley is on the right and Holmes on the left
  • I'm more concerned about the lack of pace down the left rather than in central midfield.

Never have much pace in the team when we won this league, but we did have Wiggins at his best.
  • At 1-0 down Pearce gets injured.
    Roger comes on and scores a hat trick, finger to lips gesture at the covered end, riot ensues.
  • I've got a feeling that Foley is going to be one of RS's favourites.

Perhaps as a kickback against only being able to convince KM to give him a 5 month deal.
  • tricky said:

I've got a feeling that Foley is going to be one of RS's favourites.

Perhaps as a kickback against only being able to convince KM to give him a 5 month deal.

He seems to want plenty of leaders/good experienced pro's, something we lacked last season. However we also potentially have the sort of pacey skilful wide players that we didn't have last time we were down here. Unless it's a concern about Lookman needing a rest (why start him in the cup then?) why are we starting games this defensively?
  • tricky said:

I've got a feeling that Foley is going to be one of RS's favourites.

Don't understand that, everything I've seen and everything reported on here makes it sounds as though he's very limited. Certainly experienced, as a right back, but has struggled a lot with injuries in recent times.

I think the players picked in midfield tonight are criminal. Lookman needs to be managed, I definitely understand that and I do applaud Slade for making the smart, if unpopular, decision. But he could still pick Botaka, or go 3-5-2 and play THD as a wingback, Crofts and Jacko in midfield, and Holmes, Mcgennis, and Ajose up front. He could even use Fox on the left side of the back three, which would allow the team to switch between 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 shifting Morgan to LB and THD to LM.

I think back to the last pre-season game where Slade started with a 3-5-2. It was rumoured at the time that that was a protest selection. It seems incredibly silly now since we currently have a surplus of central defenders and holding midfielders but a lack of wingers that we don't seem to be considering that formation.
  • Ground empty, 25 mins to kickoff
  • Fuck sake, still no Lookman. I can see a case for him not always starting as he's still quite raw, but surely he has to start a home game against what is probably one of the divisions worst sides.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe he hadn't brought Lookie in and moved Jacko to CM, dropping Foley.

Still no word on Ba.

• Is anyone able to step in tonight with updates?

Any takers guys?

• We will only start Lookie in Sept once the window closes (if he is still with us)
  • Lol. Same midfield. Glad I am not there. Still think we will win but the quality of the football is going to be shit.
  • Can't believe he hadn't brought Lookie in and moved Jacko to CM, dropping Foley.

Still no word on Ba.

Where is Ba?!?!?! I know he's raw and not everyone's cup of tea, but he offers something different in midfield, and he has the tools required to be good at this level. I fear that like Ceballos, Slade just didn't fancy him and has binned him off instead of trying to coach and mold them.
  • stonemuse said:

Ground empty, 25 mins to kickoff

Looks like Charlton Aesthetic and I will be on ball-gathering duty today
  • Seriously empty ground.
  • 2 games in a week.
    That's Solly out 'til Christmas.
  • Ground is always empty 20 mins before KO midweek
  • Big mistake starting the same team
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!