Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Magennis

Comments

• @He's a good player with a good record at this level. His all round play is very good even if he's not a natural goalscorer. He adds so much more to our game than that.

On top of this he speaks well about the club, cares about it and does a lot for the community stuff. I like that about him."

dead right canters, the growing rumbles of criticism for JM emanating from some quarters are ignorant drivel, it's akin to saying you have a bad foot when in fact you're shoeless on stony ground. JM's getting practically no service and paying in a rigidly applied system which will never provide him with much at all. He's game, willing and never shirks tackles or his defensive obligations. If he'd missed as much of this season as he did last we'd be 20th at best.

For the moment he has a little competition from Best, for what it's worth. I'm less convinced he needs a rest, if you mean missing a match or two. So long as there's no endurance/fitness work for him between games then he ought to recover well enough between fixtures. If he's carrying more than a minor niggle then all bets are off. With KR's dogmatic adherence to his 'one true way' (or mental incapacity for anything else) I'd not be at all surprised to find he's wheeling out JM despite knowing he's not really in good enough shape - let's hope not. Form and fitness are temporary, class is not. JM's got class enough for this division.

• I think that we've rolled out the 'he's tired' and 'because of the system we play' enough now.
    'Because of the system we play' gives no excuse for missing chances.

IMo, he is simply not very good. I don't think I have seen him play a reasonable for us this season (ok, I havnt seen every game, but I've seen most recent games , and in every game he has been anonymous.)
  • I think that we've rolled out the 'he's tired' and 'because of the system we play' enough now.
    'Because of the system we play' gives no excuse for missing chances.

IMo, he is simply not very good. I don't think I have seen him play a reasonable for us this season (ok, I havnt seen every game, but I've seen most recent games , and in every game he has been anonymous.)

But there are so many factors at play it's ridiculous to over simplify it like that. He started the season very well something like 6 goals for club and country.

Yes it's not all down to other factors. But it all contributes.

He's lost form and isn't playing as well as he could. He's seemingly lost confidence which isn't helping him finish those chances. But theses are partly due to other factors mentioned above.

I seriously don't think we will get much better than him in this league in terms of all round contribution to the team and work rate even when is form upfront of goal isn't great.
  • A terribly written piece with no clear points but I do agree with the overall sentiment.

Josh started the season well for club and country and I certainly think he is good enough.

Yes he's struggling at the moment. He's going through a run of poor form, partly due to him not playing as well as he has and not making the most of chances. Also down to injuries and poor form from those supposed to be supporting him. Partly down to the system leaving him isolated. Partly down to the fact we have until the last week literally had no other option so he has had to play every minute of every game and is clearly fatigued. He hasn't once let his head drop and has continued to give his all every game.

He's a good player with a good record at this level. His all round play is very good even if he's not a natural goalscorer. He adds so much more to our game than that.

On top of this he speaks well about the club, cares about it and foes a lot for the community stuff. I like that about him.

He needs some competition and a rest. I reckon he will end the season as first choice with double figures goals. And I'll be happy with that.

He certainly needs a rest, but don't go fooling yourselves that he was anything other than a second rate version of Deon Burton. :wink:

Judging by his history, last season was his excelling in form season.
  • Good to hear the CE singing his name after the goal. He seemed to find an extra 10% effort, chasing down defenders and goalkeeper like he used to. Feel this has been missing from his game for much of this season
  • Went to tweet Josh last night to say well done as he looked class yesterday and congratulate him on getting back on the score sheet and fighting through the tough times.

Unfortunately he has deleted his Twitter. Seems the boo boys and dickhead element that seems to have grown in the last few years that think it's okay to abuse players have forced him off social media.

It's a shame coz Josh was good value on there. I like him. He's a proper Charlton type person as well. Cares about the club does a lot for the kids and community schemes.

Real shame and can only echo your words.

Josh is a credit to our club, on and off the field.
  • Yeah. Its the little things that make me like him. If you watch the club's Snapchat every week they always show the players leaving the dressing room for warm ups. The mascots always clap them out. 3 or 4 players acknowledge them with a thumbs up or whatever. Only 2 players do so every week. Jacko (obviously) and Josh both usually take the time to give them a high 5 or whatever. Most players don't bother.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

Good to hear the CE singing his name after the goal. He seemed to find an extra 10% effort, chasing down defenders and goalkeeper like he used to. Feel this has been missing from his game for much of this season

I genuinely didn't see much different in his workrate and effort yesterday from the last few months. He's always given everything and chased everything down. The difference is that ever since Billy Clarke got injured he has been isolated with zero support. So whenever he went for a header he was surrounded by at least 3 defenders so he was under more pressure. Then if he managed to win the header there was no one within 20 yards to win the second ball. He was also alone in chasing down their defenders so they passed it round him and took the piss. This zapped his energy and confidence which had an impact on his finishing. That along with being forced to play every minute of every game for us due to zero support and not having breaks due to playing internationals mean he's been overworked.

We saw it there yesterday there were other players occupying defenders so He won more headers and we had players near him to win the second ball. We pressed as a unit so he made an impact there. That's what's been missing. And he topped it off with a goal. Hopefully that can build his confidence and he can score a few more by the end of the season.

At the beginning of the season most were saying he should get around 10 goals this year. He's well on the way there and with plenty of time left I expect him to get them by the end of the season.
    Spot on.

All that has been missing from his game has been the finishing, which is clearly vital for a striker, but his work rate has always been there.

Other players near him and playing on his wave length would have helped him before and will be needed in the future.

Thought you could see the relief when he scored and also how pleased the other players were for him.

Also though he salute to the stands was class. Could have ignored the fans or cupped his ear but he didn't.
    Slightly disagree, winning headers as well as finishing has been lacking in recent months.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Good to hear the CE singing his name after the goal. He seemed to find an extra 10% effort, chasing down defenders and goalkeeper like he used to. Feel this has been missing from his game for much of this season

I genuinely didn't see much different in his workrate and effort yesterday from the last few months. He's always given everything and chased everything down. The difference is that ever since Billy Clarke got injured he has been isolated with zero support. So whenever he went for a header he was surrounded by at least 3 defenders so he was under more pressure. Then if he managed to win the header there was no one within 20 yards to win the second ball. He was also alone in chasing down their defenders so they passed it round him and took the piss. This zapped his energy and confidence which had an impact on his finishing. That along with being forced to play every minute of every game for us due to zero support and not having breaks due to playing internationals mean he's been overworked.

We saw it there yesterday there were other players occupying defenders so He won more headers and we had players near him to win the second ball. We pressed as a unit so he made an impact there. That's what's been missing. And he topped it off with a goal. Hopefully that can build his confidence and he can score a few more by the end of the season.

At the beginning of the season most were saying he should get around 10 goals this year. He's well on the way there and with plenty of time left I expect him to get them by the end of the season.
    Spot on.

All that has been missing from his game has been the finishing, which is clearly vital for a striker, but his work rate has always been there.

Other players near him and playing on his wave length would have helped him before and will be needed in the future.

Thought you could see the relief when he scored and also how pleased the other players were for him.

Also though he salute to the stands was class. Could have ignored the fans or cupped his ear but he didn't.
    Slightly disagree, winning headers as well as finishing has been lacking in recent months.
    I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.

Taxi_Lad said:

• Taxi_Lad said:

Spot on.

As Canters said he won a lot but there was no one to head them onto.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Spot on.

As Canters said he won a lot but there was no one to head them onto.
    And he was the only player in their half of the pitch so instead of competing with 1 player for the header he was competing with 4. You're gonna win less headers against those odds.
  • He also got injured twice yesterday and needed treatment after Kashi's goal.

Thought he was done after that moment... Its clear he could have come off too, as he was speaking to Robinson for a few mins when the ball was out of play.

If the fans cant see his character then just look at the way everyone celebrated his goal yesterday... Was swamped by all bar Ben Amos!!
  • Josh has played really well in the last two games and worked his socks off.
  • I'll admit I've never been his biggest fan, but for effort and durability he's ace, and defensively he's a real asset. Really good to hear that he's a top man off the pitch as well. I always want him to do well, and I always want him to score. I haven't always wanted him to start though.

Those who like Josh but don't like Robbo must admit the manager's stuck by him through thick and thin. I'd just like to have seen different options tried from time to time. We looked good away at Rochdale when we KAG up front, with Billy Clarke in support. The game we won 3-4. We did look poor defending set pieces and corners in that game though, areas where Josh excels.

I'd also like to see a little more of the 442 Robinson's used towards the end of matches that we were losing. It's often looked really effective and, as has been commented on, Josh looks better with players closer to him.

I liked Best though, and feel he's been desperately unlucky, as he was almost in his 'last chance saloon'.What will become of him I wonder?
  • Sponsored links:

• he's gets so much (undeserved) stick it's unreal, it's like people expect us to have an international centre forward up front in League 1.....oh wait a minute.

agree he hasn't scored enough but I bet he'll be the first to admit that and is probably his own harshest critic, but he never stops bloody trying !.

seems a great lad

Exactly. And it's a shame the abusers have forced him off Twitter
  • he's gets so much (undeserved) stick it's unreal, it's like people expect us to have an international centre forward up front in League 1.....oh wait a minute.

agree he hasn't scored enough but I bet he'll be the first to admit that and is probably his own harshest critic, but he never stops bloody trying !.

seems a great lad

I must be watching a completely different player each week? including Saturday against Oxford...mom - do me a favour! He managed to fumble a ball across the line for 30 seconds of glory, but for the other 90+ minutes he contributes nothing. He is slow, bloody lazy and clearly isn't scoring anywhere near enough goals. He is a big lad, but struggles to win a header and the minute he loses the ball, he doesn't even try to win it back, he just wait for someone else to do the hard work. Dont get me wrong, I can forgive a striker who doesn't really score goals....IF...they set up others to score or battle for 90 minutes and influence a game. But he doesn't.
  • braydex said:

he's gets so much (undeserved) stick it's unreal, it's like people expect us to have an international centre forward up front in League 1.....oh wait a minute.

seems a great lad

I must be watching a completely different player each week? including Saturday against Oxford...mom - do me a favour! He managed to fumble a ball across the line for 30 seconds of glory, but for the other 90+ minutes he contributes nothing. He is slow, bloody lazy and clearly isn't scoring anywhere near enough goals. He is a big lad, but struggles to win a header and the minute he loses the ball, he doesn't even try to win it back, he just wait for someone else to do the hard work. Dont get me wrong, I can forgive a striker who doesn't really score goals....IF...they set up others to score or battle for 90 minutes and influence a game. But he doesn't.
    Your right we must be watching different players. Or maybe different games? Are you sure you're at the valley?
  • braydex said:

he's gets so much (undeserved) stick it's unreal, it's like people expect us to have an international centre forward up front in League 1.....oh wait a minute.

seems a great lad

Who were you watching? One of the hardest working players I've seen who has a good turn of pace, wins headers and battles to close down players. I assume you just don't like him.
  • braydex said:

seems a great lad

He won nearly every header which fell to a Charlton player... Absolutely bossed their Centre-Backs, was getting embarrassing for them - What helped was the fact that Mavididi and Fosu got closer to him, meant any balls he won were collected by a Charlton player

Of late he's won headers yet Holmes | Marshall have sat far too back so its left Magennis looking as though he's playing shite passes
  • Works hard, defends well, nice bloke.

Carl Leaburn 1989
  • braydex said:

seems a great lad

Who were you watching? One of the hardest working players I've seen who has a good turn of pace, wins headers and battles to close down players. I assume you just don't like him.
    Its not a case of 'not liking him' at all. I just dont think he's very good and in particular I think he's lazy. His goal scoring record speaks for itself.

seems a great lad

A modern day Leaburn?
  • braydex said:

braydex said:

seems a great lad

Its not a case of 'not liking him' at all. I just dont think he's very good and in particular I think he's lazy. His goal scoring record speaks for itself.
    Accusing of him being lazy seems bizarre in the extreme - we must be watching a different player. If you only want to judge him on goals scored then to be fair he's never been prolific.