Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Magennis

Comments

• He loved the pig protest too..!!
  • Swisdom said:

Turning out to be one of the buys of the season. Love this guy,fast becoming a fans favourite

He's been a favourite since he arrived because he shows something I desire in a Charlton player - DESIRE!

He run his nuts off and fights for everything. I don't expect technical brilliance every week but I expect desire.

Apparently a really nice guy and big presence in the changing room too (same as Crofts apparently)
    I'm the total opposite, much prefer technical ability to "passion," because it's called "football" not "Trying Hard Ball." ;)

But he seems quality. Seen him more for Norn Iron and he's a tidy player and must be a pain to play against. Was skeptical of him before he joined but have been pleasantly surprised, and in interviews he comes across as a thoughtful, down to earth bloke. Very happy for him and that he's adding goals.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

If I were a betting man I'd stick decent money on Magennis as POTY

oh will you look at that from august
    No one likes a gloater... :wink:

• SDAddick said:

Swisdom said:

Turning out to be one of the buys of the season. Love this guy,fast becoming a fans favourite

He's been a favourite since he arrived because he shows something I desire in a Charlton player - DESIRE!

He run his nuts off and fights for everything. I don't expect technical brilliance every week but I expect desire.

Apparently a really nice guy and big presence in the changing room too (same as Crofts apparently)
    I'm the total opposite, much prefer technical ability to "passion," because it's called "football" not "Trying Hard Ball." ;)

But he seems quality. Seen him more for Norn Iron and he's a tidy player and must be a pain to play against. Was skeptical of him before he joined but have been pleasantly surprised, and in interviews he comes across as a thoughtful, down to earth bloke. Very happy for him and that he's adding goals.
    Don't get me wrong I love watching the skilful players too. Astrid Ajdarevic and Andy Reid are two of my favourite ever charlton players because they were genuinely gifted however players like that don't come along very often for Charlton - so I'll always appreciate those who give it their all.

• Swisdom said:

SDAddick said:

Swisdom said:

Don't get me wrong I love watching the skilful players too. Astrid Ajdarevic and Andy Reid are two of my favourite ever charlton players because they were genuinely gifted however players like that don't come along very often for Charlton - so I'll always appreciate those who give it their all.

Fair dos, and I was being silly with my comment, just really liked the "trying hard ball" line tbh.

Also, completely agree on Andy Reid.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Swisdom said:

SDAddick said:

Swisdom said:

Fair dos, and I was being silly with my comment, just really liked the "trying hard ball" line tbh.

Also, completely agree on Andy Reid.
    We were lucky to get Reid and I'll always remember watching him. Tubby little Playmaker extraordinaire

• Reid was great as he had both quality on the ball and gave his all. I remember when he left some Sunderland fans were assuming he was a talented but lazy player. He may have looked like that yet it was never the case.

Touch like a Champions League player, body like a Sunday league player.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Agreed... Holmes and Lookman have great attacking flair but as our first goal showed last night... Lookman wouldnt have got his goal had it not been for Magennis using his strength to hold off the Defender.

For that reason he's currently head and shoulders in first choice at the moment for me... Dont forget he should also be injured too
  • A quality player at this level, and one who's getting better

Leaving aside Yann, the best player of his type at the club since Deon Burton

To be fair Josh and Yann are two very different players... Yann's a big lad but was never the type to hold the ball up really well, the only similarity between them is the fact they've both been used for flick ons a lot.

At the same time Magennis isnt someone who I'd be confident to see score directly from a Free-KIck.

Would quite happily have them both in the side
  • Josh and Deon, however are similar players.
  • A quality player at this level, and one who's getting better

Leaving aside Yann, the best player of his type at the club since Deon Burton

To be fair Josh and Yann are two very different players... Yann's a big lad but was never the type to hold the ball up really well, the only similarity between them is the fact they've both been used for flick ons a lot.

At the same time Magennis isnt someone who I'd be confident to see score directly from a Free-KIck.

Would quite happily have them both in the side
    You were watching a different Yann to me. Yes Powell used him as a battering ram a lot of the time but his hold up play for Bournemouth and in better moments for us was excellent
  • Not only did Yann hold the ball up well but his distribution was almost telepathic and instant.
  • Yang was a supremly technical player to. Chipping keepers from range, a lovely passer and wonderful volleyer. I really like Josh and he is a top player, proper charlton
  • SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

No idea why people call you a smug twat mate ;)

To be fair, if it were me a screen grab of that post would be my avatar picture.
    agreed, i have never thought of him as smug...
  • Sponsored links:

• He played pretty well against much superior opposition.
    Josh is the man.
  • Great stuff Josh. I hear these Germans don't like it up em, so no surprise they can't handle Big Mag.
  • Took his goal well tonight fox in the box as a header came back in from the angle of the 18 yard box and he nodded it home from edge of 6 yard box.
  • 6 of his 7 goals for club and country so far this season has been scored with his head.

Really happy for him, and hope that he can continue the great form he’s in throughout the season. Definitely think he’ll get 20+. It would be fantastic to see him at the World Cup if Northern Ireland were to qualify via play-offs.
  • Sage said:

6 of his 7 goals for club and country so far this season has been scored with his head.

Really happy for him, and hope that he can continue the great form he’s in throughout the season. Definitely think he’ll get 20+. It would be fantastic to see him at the World Cup if Northern Ireland were to qualify via play-offs.

You'll feel sick when he does that as a palace player.
  • Better than Harry Kane
  • 3 goals this season for N Ireland, and while this was in a losing cause, scoring against Germany is probably more of a tick on his cv than 2 against San Marino!

It's notable that Will Grigg wasn't even in the N Ireland squad, as he wasn't injured