Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Magennis

Comments

• wmcf123 said:

I remember people saying similar about Pawel Abbot within weeks he was Russ Abbot

Abbott had that one cracking half against ( I think) Peterborough at home
    3-2 victory. Lee Tomlin scored a cracker for them and CMS made it uncomfortable after scoring in extra time.

I think Abbott also went on to have a decent game vs Swindon - the game which ultimately cost Parky his job.
  • Ajose, Novak and Magennis are a great balanced set of forwards and all look like they're at least decent League 1 players. Now the midfield...
  • Ajose, Novak and Magennis are a great balanced set of forwards and all look like they're at least decent League 1 players. Now the midfield...

We have a midfield?! Since when? :wink:
  • DA9DA9
    edited August 2016
    Been told there might be a contingent of the London Northern Ireland supporters club attending enmasse at a home game soon to cheer Magennis on.

Think he is going to be a real powerhouse this season, like him a lot.

What about the midfield? I'd say they're all at least decent League One players as well, the balance just isn't as good as it could be. We should look better if we can bring in the box to box type of player Slade is after. He can also make it much more attacking by swapping one of Jackson, Crofts or Foley for Lookman.
  • A midfield with options of Jackson, Crofts, foley, Holmes, Lookman, Diarra, Ba and Kashi should be more than capable enough in this division. Just need to get them all fit!
  • A midfield with options of Jackson, Crofts, foley, Holmes, Lookman, Diarra, Ba and Kashi should be more than capable enough in this division. Just need to get them all fit!

Still want one more creative force to take the sole responsibility away from Holmes
  • Thought Magennis looked good and gives options up front.
  • If I were a betting man I'd stick decent money on Magennis as POTY
  • Sponsored links:

• (After locking Holmes in a dungeon for six months)
  • From what I've heard about him and read about him on here he really sounds like the kind of player I like and grow to love in a Charlton player. Looking forward to seeing him for myself.
  • Played well today my MOM, big, strong, puts himself about, wins headers, makes himself available for an out ball, a proper old school centre forward.
  • RedChaser said:

Played well today my MOM, big, strong, puts himself about, wins headers, makes himself available for an out ball, a proper old school centre forward.

Plus, a very decent turn of pace...
  • Thought he was excellent on Tuesday.
    Feeling cautiously optimistic about this season now. Quite exciting.
  • It's remarkable how he always seems to time the header to beat defenders and run past them.
  • Cracking assist today. Not quite sure how he managed to get the ball across to Ajose, but it was a really well weighted and directed pass. Not sure he'll score a hatful, but he'll lay on a lot of chances for Ajose.
  • Cracking assist today. Not quite sure how he managed to get the ball across to Ajose, but it was a really well weighted and directed pass. Not sure he'll score a hatful, but he'll lay on a lot of chances for Ajose.

Agree, he's gong to provide a lot of assists
  • And yet the feeling was negative when mooted to be a target
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

And yet the feeling was negative when mooted to be a target

Because people focus too much on goalscoring records.
    Although that's not that unfair for strikers ; you have to do an awful lot of other things if you don't score as a forward. It sounds like Magennis has done that so far
  • This season's Yann?
  • Scoham said:

Don't think that's even fair...

He scored 13 goals last season in a struggling side!
  • Scoham said:

Don't think that's even fair...

He scored 13 goals last season in a struggling side!
    Across his career it makes him look poor but he's obviously improved as he's gained experience.

Sometimes physical players take can take time to learn how to be effective. There's plenty of examples of target men working their way up. He was also a goalkeeper until quite late on.
  • He's growing in confidence and presence 2 games in. I can see him banging a few in this season.
  • edited August 2016
    Eating humble pie today.

He looks a beast at this level. I don't think he'll get into double figures but will create a hell of a lot.
  • Eating humble pie today.

He looks a beast at this level. I don't think he'll get into double figures but will create a hell of a lot.

I think his role in goals is likely to be less of a Yann style passer and provider (which Novak may well be) and more the fact that he's going to be a complete nightmare for defenders to handle - and all the while they are grappling with him, Ajose is free to get into position to get the goals.

Ajose seems to be pretty much a 'pure' goal scorer in that he won't be doing an awful lot of running off the ball or fighting dirty with rugged CBs. But as BWP proved there is definitely a place for that kind of player in this division.
  • Started for N Ireland tonight against San Marino ahead of Lafferty and Conor Washington. He was fouled for their penalty
  • Started for N Ireland tonight against San Marino ahead of Lafferty and Conor Washington. He was fouled for their penalty

Had a "goal" disallowed.