Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Shrewsbury Town | Tuesday 16 Aug @ 7.45pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction
The sparsely populated stands at The Valley on Saturday suggest that many Charlton fans are unimpressed by the Senior Management Team’s proclamations of new beginnings and lessons learned, and who can blame them? This is the third season on the spin that has kicked off with Katrien and co hailing the dawn of a new era, and we all know how the last two panned out.

After a dreary first 45 minutes against Northampton on Saturday, Charlton finally managed to muster some determination and urgency in the second half, culminating in past it has-been Johnnie Jackson stepping up to the plate yet again to earn a draw for the Addicks. Russell Slade will be hoping that the rescued point will provide an injection of confidence to take into the meeting with the Shrews.

Disregarding the fictional attendances published by the club, Tuesday evening’s meeting with Shrewsbury Town could see the lowest crowd for a league fixture at The Valley since 7,840 saw a 2-1 midweek victory over Reading in November 1995. Another feather in your cap, Kat.

"Next game is against Shrewsbury Town"
"Right, better dig out that picture of the bloke in the boat"

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: Mickey Mellon
Ground: New Meadow
Not many familiar faces here. Left-back Mat Sadler played for Birmingham in the Premier League whilst captain Adam El-Abd made over 300 appearances for Brighton as well as earning 7 caps for Egypt. Beautifully-named manager Mickey Mellon oversaw Fleetwood’s elevation to the Football League in 2012 and Shrewsbury’s promotion from League 2 in 2015.
The Shrews finished just above the relegation spots last year and will be reasonably satisfied with their start against tough opposition – a narrow home defeat to MK Dons on the opening day was followed by an impressive win over Championship Huddersfield in the League Cup and a 0-0 draw at Coventry on Saturday.

Previous meetings
Won 4 / Drawn 7 / Lost 6
Phil Parkinson’s side managed to throw away a 3-0 lead to lose 4-3 at the New Meadow in a standard Charlton Athletic League Cup debacle in August 2010. Prior to that, all of our previous meetings with Shrewsbury are sandwiched between August 1972 and April 1986. Our last home league fixture ended in a 4-1 Charlton victory in front of 3,233 at Selhurst Park on 2 November 1985. Perhaps someone with a copy of Home & Away (or just an exceptional memory) could tell us who the scorers were.

Emphatically not “past it”

Team News
Popular defender Roger Johnson is still awaiting a personality transplant and will once again have to settle for a place on the bench, whilst Patrick Bauer is probably another week away from being ready to return to the starting line-up.
Ademola Lookman impressed as a substitute on Saturday, but Russell Slade suggested afterwards that he is not “physically ready” to be starting games. However, you could be forgiven for suggesting that Katrien has told Russell to make sure that Ademola is “physically ready” to bugger off to Arsenal/Liverpool/whoever for an undisclosed fee before the transfer window closes. Ricky Holmes should be okay, despite some brutal treatment from his former team mates on Saturday. Same starting eleven then.

Rudd
Solly - Konsa - Pearce - Fox
Foley - Crofts - Jackson - Holmes
Ajose - Magennis

Subs: Bauer, Johnson, Lookman, Phillips, Botaka, Holmes-Dennis, Novak

Prediction
These are the games that you should be winning comfortably if you expect to be taken seriously as promotion challengers. I think we’ll win, but not comfortably.
2-1 win, Ajose gets off the mark.

Comments

• Options
    Go on then, who's the bloke in the boat?
  • Options
    7000/8000 at best
    But a nervy 3-1 win after going a goal behind
  • Options
    didn't they have a bloke in a boat behind one of their stands at their old ground to fetch balls from the river

2-0 CAFC, Adjose and Lookman
  • Options
    I'm hoping Lookman gets on a lot earlier if not start. Without him stretching the opposition defence we will struggle just like on Saturday.

1 - 0 Addicks.
  • Options
    It's the coracle from Shrewsbury's old ground.

When the ball was booted out of the ground it often landed in the river and was retrieved by this bloke in the circular vessel.

Stuart (2) Pearson, Griffin (OG)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options

It's the coracle from Shrewsbury's old ground.

When the ball was booted out of the ground it often landed in the river and was retrieved by this bloke in the circular vessel.

Stuart (2) Pearson, Griffin (OG)

Correct....and we were 1-0 down to an early low pile driver if I recall rightly. Stood on the Holmesdale for that one.

Never seen us beat Shrews at The Valley....

Lost 0-1 in 82-83 Friday night game, to a late dribbler that didn't even hit the back of the net (got stuck in a goal-mouth puddle). Looked like we were on for relegation when that happened but had a barn-storming comeback against Wolves on the following BH Monday which cheered everyone up.

Lost 2-4 late in 83-84. A nothing game which came in the dead period after our March 84 survival in the High Court. I flew back into Heathrow from a cricket tour to Trinidad and went straight to The Valley. It was boiling hot and they slaughtered us! Think Flanagan and Aizlewood scored (the latter with a volley from the edge of the box).

Drew 1-1 84-85 season. Robert Lee with a trade-mark run through and tuck past keeper.

Never seen us beat Shrews at Gay Meadow either in three attempts!

• Options
    And you won't see us win at Gay Meadow either as they moved grounds a few years ago.
  • Options
    Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Botaka Crofts Jackson Holmes
    Magennis Ajose

Phillips, Konsa, Johnson, Holmes-Dennis, Foley, Lookman, Novak

2-0 win with Ajose anytime is 13/1 on bet365, looks good to me.
  • Options
    Lookman has to start, it is getting a bit silly now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016

Its a young @TCE when trying out the then new Woolwich Ferry!!! LOL ;-)
  • Options

Team GB's latest gold medal winner
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Addicks win 2-0. I'll be working away from home and staying in a hotel, so I'm unable to do the match thread on Tuesday. I'll be back on Saturday though. apologies for my absence.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Rudd
    Solly
    Fox
    Pearce
    Konsa
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Crofts
    Lookman
    Ajose
    Magennis

Subs:

Phillips
    Bauer
    Holmes Dennis
    Foley
    Botaka
    Novak
    Hanlan

We can't start with the midfield from the first half on Saturday. It was a car crash. Lookman has to start.
  • Options
    2-1 charlton 1-0 down at ht and then a better 2nd half sees us run out winners.
  • Options
    ---------------Rudd
    Solly - Bauer - Pearce - Fox
    ----------------Foley
    Holmes ---- Jacko -------Lookman
    ----------- Ajose - Novak
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

---------------Rudd
    Solly - Bauer - Pearce - Fox
    ----------------Foley
    Holmes ---- Jacko -------Lookman
    ----------- Ajose - Novak

Like the formation but Crofts was our best midfielder on Saturday and wouldn't deserve to be dropped.
  • Options
    The gelling and improvement continues with an emphatic 3.0 win. The Addicks are up and running!
  • Options
    3-0 to the Haddocks, a brace for Novak and one for Holmes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I think it's very wise to hold Lookman back. He's been playing since November of last year, isn't too far off from a whole year of football with very little rest.

That said, we can't continue with Foley and Crofts in central midfield and Jacko on the left. I'd start Botaka on the right and Holmes on the left, or at worst THD from the lefthand side of midfield. The other options is 3-5-2 with Pearce, Konsa, and probably RoJo (suspect Bauer isn't quite ready to start) as CBs, Fox and Solly are wingbacks, Crofts and JJ in the middle, and Holmes, Mcgennis, and Ajose up front (Holmes with the freedom to roam behind or wide of the forwards).
  • Options
    First win of the season, 2-0.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Game of few chances with Shrewsbury set up for a point is what I imagine. Stronger first half and 2-0 up with twenty to go, late goal for them but we hold on. First 3 points of the season. Ajose and Holmes for us.
  • Options
    I think we'll win this 2-0
  • Options
    Given the SMT seem prepared to issue attendance figures based on fiction, can the previews now predict what figure will be issued for the crowd (clearly not the actual crowd ...)
  • Options
    Rudd
    Solly ... Konsa ... Pearce ... Fox
    Foley ... Crofts ... Jackson ... Holmes
    Ajose ... Magennis

Wasn't at the Northampton game but am back from my Holiday now so will be there @ Shrewsbury tomorrow, dont see Slade changing the team though (Didnt he pretty much leave the Leyton Orient team alone when in charge there with resources just as limited)... Reckon we'll win it though, Shrewsbury have had just a shakey start and see them in relegation trouble this time round
  • Options
    I'm saving my prediction until 9.45 pm tomorrow

I'll probably still get it wrong